The Student Room Group

Arkwright Scholarships Megathread 2022

Place to discuss anything related to the Arkwright Engineering Scholarships, especially for next year’s applicants.
Reply 1
Original post by reap3r
Place to discuss anything related to the Arkwright Engineering Scholarships, especially for next year’s applicants.

There is an Arkwright webinar on next week for 2022 applicants that might be handy!
Reply 2
how do you get to the webinar ?
Reply 3
how are you guys preparing for the aptitude test?
Sketching takes way too much time for me, like I have no idea if I'll be able to do three for Section A - though with 25mins per ( as I originally intended 20m) idea for Section A, it would give me around 50m for Section B - which might be okay ( with 5 mins of reading that is). Do they ( the invigilators) let you write in the 10mins or is that solely for reading?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
not sure as i haven't done the test but i assume you can write in the test paper but not on the sheets that are being marked - could anyone confirm??
Good Luck! has anyone done their interview yet? :smile:
Yeah I had mine last week. I think it went OK. Does anyone know when we find out the results? It doesn't seem to say on their website or in the email we were sent.
I'm not sure sorry, I think May-September? Wish you the best of luck! What was your project?
Original post by ayid_5002
Good Luck! has anyone done their interview yet? :smile:

Hi, yup just done my interview. Is there any specific date when we are told our results or just from May-September as that was the only info I could find. Are we informed via email ?
I think email yes :smile:
has anyone who got past the interview stage heard back from them yet? they said may-september but september is tomorrow 😭
Original post by hiabsotd
has anyone who got past the interview stage heard back from them yet? they said may-september but september is tomorrow 😭

I haven’t heard yet either 😭😭
Original post by 123ken
I haven’t heard yet either 😭😭

okay good i’m glad that other haven’t heard back yet i was worried that i didn’t get it but wasn’t sent an email 😭good luck <3
has anyone received anything? I’m so nervous!
Not yet, my son is still waiting for this email
Hey guys!

I’ve been nominated by my teacher to be an applicant for the Arkwright Scolarship. I really really really want this Scolarship I feel like it will be so beneficial for my future and I’ve always had a passion for engineering and for making things so this would be such a big step towards my goals. I wanted to know if anyone could almost take the role as a mentor for me and give me tips for each step of the process and also ideas for the engineering project. I want to do something aviation related preferably because that’s my passion. But I want to do something out of the box to really blow away the people looking at my application. And also can anyone give me tips on how to best prepare for the actual Arkwright exam if I do get to that stage.

Thank you!
Reply 17
Original post by Elliot123456
Hey guys!

I’ve been nominated by my teacher to be an applicant for the Arkwright Scolarship. I really really really want this Scolarship I feel like it will be so beneficial for my future and I’ve always had a passion for engineering and for making things so this would be such a big step towards my goals. I wanted to know if anyone could almost take the role as a mentor for me and give me tips for each step of the process and also ideas for the engineering project. I want to do something aviation related preferably because that’s my passion. But I want to do something out of the box to really blow away the people looking at my application. And also can anyone give me tips on how to best prepare for the actual Arkwright exam if I do get to that stage.

Thank you!

hey!

back when I did my application, I remember that my teacher told us that they don't really decide based on the application form itself; it's mainly used as a starting point for the interviews and nobody in my year got rejected pre-test because of it. my project was my DT gcse project, which was a semi-automated queuing system. I wanted to stay away from group projects as I felt like it would take up unnecessary space to explain which parts I did and why, but this is totally up to you.

one of the main things I did when I was preparing for the exam was to look at different gear/ pulley mechanisms. e.g. I had a mechanism that would turn rotary movement into linear, reciprocal to rotary and so on... if you have a bunch of those at hand, then you can showcase your engineering depth by showing the assessors that you understand engineering concepts.

I also had a couple of materials that I researched (doubled up as DT revision for me!!) and I used a couple of materials in the actual exam.

I think they do look for creativity and breadth of ideas, especially for the first section (but it has been a while since I have done the test, don't quote me on that!) so I would use those past papers and challenge yourself to choose one of the options and come up with a rough concept for that design within the 10 minutes reading time. try and challenge yourself to do this without a pencil as our teacher didn't let us annotate our question paper (although other teachers may do that idk). try to populate that page with as much information e.g. materials, mechanisms, pseudocode, circuit diagrams etc.

I don't think I ever did a full paper under timed conditions, and while I got away with it, I would stress that it was quite time-pressured, purely because there was so much to say! so definitely use those 10 minutes to conceptualise, with the rest of the time actually drawing and iterating, making small notes as you go along.

its definitely the least test-like test I've done, and I came back from it feeling excited! so definitely don't panic and don't be afraid to put those crazy ideas out there!!

good luck for your application! let us know how it goes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest