The Student Room Group

What university should I go to (Bristol or Bath engineering)

I'm considering going to one of these two universities but I'm unsure of my decision and want to hear more opinions from people. Both universities are amazing for engineering (I've heard) and I want to hear more about the advantages and disadvantages for studying at these universities. At Bath I applied for robotics engineering and at Bristol I applied for EEE.

Thank you <3
Original post by _Serotonin_
I'm considering going to one of these two universities but I'm unsure of my decision and want to hear more opinions from people. Both universities are amazing for engineering (I've heard) and I want to hear more about the advantages and disadvantages for studying at these universities. At Bath I applied for robotics engineering and at Bristol I applied for EEE.
Thank you <3
One word...Bath!!! :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
One word...Bath!!! :wink:
Yeah I think I leaning more towards bath <3
Hi there,

Deciding between universities is a tough decision as there are so many factors at play.

For starters I would recommend looking through the courses at each of the universities since these are different. You may be able to find out the modules you will study and work you will produce on each website. This may give you an insight into what you’re interested in and what calls out to you .

Second you want to consider the learning environment for the courses. Bath has a huge host of support for students including well-being services, financial support, student mentors, personal tutors etc, so whatever you may struggle with there will be support there to assist you through and ensure you are able to learn and perform at your best throughout the course so you get the most out of your degree. Financially, Bath offers a lot of scholarships, bursaries and loans (without interest) to help wherever you may need.

There are also the great job prospects which follow. Bath also has great connections to a lot of companies for both placement and graduate options and assist you a lot in finding a career during and post studies. The placement/graduate team offer a bunch of help including CV assistance, mock interviews and emailing companies to gather job opportunities. Bath also has a great employability rate!

Bath offers lots of facilities such as a gym, tennis courts, football pitches etc, 24 hour security (which you can call from anywhere in the city - not just campus), 24 hour library access and even showers on campus when you need.

Furthermore, you want to consider outside the scope of academics and consider where you will be living for the year. It would be worth looking into what each of the cities have to offer such as aesthetic, night life, restaurants, supermarkets etc. since you mentioned you prefer quieter outings, Bath has a of beautiful places to visit throughout the day with friends. It is not known for nightlife however, if you ever were interested in going out however there is always some type of social occurring, clubs are open 6 days a week and Bristol is only ten minutes on the train or 30 minutes on the bus if you wanted something livelier. Personally, Bath has been great in terms of things to do, and super easy transport links between the city centre/student housing areas and the university (the university is only 10mins on the bus from the city centre which runs every 15 minutes).

Good luck with your decision,

Sophie (uni of Bath)

Reply 4
Original post by _Serotonin_
Thank you <3

Hi there, my experience may be quite different to yours as I am a humanities student (Politics and French) but I was in exactly the same position as you four years ago, very stuck between Bristol and Bath, and I ended up choosing Bristol. The two cities/campuses are very close together (15 minutes by train) but are actually very different. It depends on where you feel you’ll fit in the best and what you value from a university.

Personally, what I thought I wanted from a university ended up changing a lot when I actually got there. If I could turn back the clock I probably would have ended up going to Bath for various reasons. Nowadays it’s also a lot higher in the league tables (top 5 UK university!) and I’ve always loved Bath as a city whereas Bristol can be a challenging place to live. If your gut feeling is Bath, go for that, but make sure you give yourself as much time as you need to decide - it doesn’t matter if you firm the day before the deadline.

Feel free to ask me any questions about what it’s like at Bristol 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest