The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineering 2024

Hi,
I’m predicted A*A*A (Chemistry, Maths and geography)
Applied to Imperial, UCL, Bath, Birmingham and Nottingham.
Offer from Birmingham and Nottingham
Rejected from imperial (Geography is not viewed as a relevant A level)
Yet to hear from Bath and UCL.

I am aware I have ages until I have to actually decide, but I’m curious on what people may believe is the best. If I got offers from UCL and Bath they would be my top choices. Heard horror stories from UCL, but I love the idea of living in London. Bath seems incredible but it just doesn’t have the same prestige (I know it sounds snobby) as UCL for me. Wondering if anyone has their offers back and what to do.
Original post by WilliamBluw
Hi,

I am aware I have ages until I have to actually decide, but I’m curious on what people may believe is the best. If I got offers from UCL and Bath they would be my top choices. Heard horror stories from UCL, but I love the idea of living in London. Bath seems incredible but it just doesn’t have the same prestige (I know it sounds snobby) as UCL for me. Wondering if anyone has their offers back and what to do.

What were the horror stories?
Hi,

Bath have great industry links and are ranked better than UCL for chemical engineering. The city is also rlly nice, much nicer than London. Honestly living in London is a negative, it’s expensive and just bare people, there’s a reason why all london year. 13 students always go to edinborugh, Bristol and bath they’re tryna get out of here
Reply 3
Original post by TWaynefromthe9

What were the horror stories?

Just a really low student satisfaction, it’s quite low for how high their course is meant to be. One post said something like “the lectures just don’t care about the students”. I don’t know though.
Reply 4
Original post by TWaynefromthe9

Bath have great industry links and are ranked better than UCL for chemical engineering. The city is also rlly nice, much nicer than London. Honestly living in London is a negative, it’s expensive and just bare people, there’s a reason why all london year. 13 students always go to edinborugh, Bristol and bath they’re tryna get out of here

You see bath is really pretty. I think for me personally london just seems cooler. I maybe making a mistake. I also looked into UCL’s Integrated Engineering Programme, which seemed interesting. But also graduate prospects are quite low, and I genuinely want to become a full time engineer (I think a lot of people who go to London use chemical engineering to get better at modelling for finance). I’ve applied to bath’s placement year.

You see bath is really pretty. I think for me personally london just seems cooler. I maybe making a mistake. I also looked into UCL’s Integrated Engineering Programme, which seemed interesting. But also graduate prospects are quite low, and I genuinely want to become a full time engineer (I think a lot of people who go to London use chemical engineering to get better at modelling for finance). I’ve applied to bath’s placement year.

Yh honestly bath sounds like a great option to firm then, placement year is crucial if u wna break into industry and actually be an engineer.
Let us know when you hear back from UCL and bath
Reply 7
I'm in the same situation too. I've got an offer from Bath and am waiting on UCL right now. I'm leaning towards UCL mainly because it's in London and also the prestige, and I don't even know if I want to be an engineer after I get my degree, so I'm not too fussed on the course rankings. I mainly chose the subject to keep my options wide because of the transferrable skills you get from the degree. I also assume internships from top firms would be more accessible with UCL compared to Bath, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply 8
Original post by mazpapi
I'm in the same situation too. I've got an offer from Bath and am waiting on UCL right now. I'm leaning towards UCL mainly because it's in London and also the prestige, and I don't even know if I want to be an engineer after I get my degree, so I'm not too fussed on the course rankings. I mainly chose the subject to keep my options wide because of the transferrable skills you get from the degree. I also assume internships from top firms would be more accessible with UCL compared to Bath, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Firstly, congrats on your offer when did you receive it?
Reply 9
Original post by mazpapi

Secondly, I think if you look at graduate prospects it’s actually higher for this course in bath. I think that’s down to the industry focus in bath over UCL.
Reply 10

Secondly, I think if you look at graduate prospects it’s actually higher for this course in bath. I think that’s down to the industry focus in bath over UCL.

Realistically, I think it’s less so the school but the quality of your grade at the end of it. As long as you put in the time in any of the universities I think firms will recognise that
Reply 11
Firstly, congrats on your offer when did you receive it?

I got it in early December, but I'm pretty sure I got it way earlier than most applicants as I did the Discover Bath programme and so got a reduced offer.
Reply 12
Realistically, I think it’s less so the school but the quality of your grade at the end of it. As long as you put in the time in any of the universities I think firms will recognise that

Yeah of course no matter what university you go to you still have to put in the work.
Hello, I applied for chem eng in November and I was wondering if ucl have got back to anyone because there really taking there time 😂😂
Original post by teewizzle07
Hello, I applied for chem eng in November and I was wondering if ucl have got back to anyone because there really taking there time 😂😂

No, not yet
Original post by sgopalkrish
No, not yet

What are your stats?

What are your stats?

received an offer last month
Original post by smmcc_001
received an offer last month

Does that mean they’re handing out ucl chem eng rejections now

Quick Reply

Latest