The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

MAT permissions

Hello there.

I have applied to Oxford and Bath among a few others.

I have sat my MAT exam this year. Bath have just emailed me requesting my MAT number so they can presumably look at my score. I don't think I did awful, but I also don't think I did amazing, so would it hinder my chances of an offer from Bath if I did send them my MAT number? (Bath DO NOT require MAT for the course, as stated on their webpage.)

Thanks in advance.
Which course did you apply for?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Maths. (MMath)
If they don't require it, it is unlikely a bad score would disadvantage compared to not releasing - because those who didn't take it might have done worse. I would send it best case scenario it helps, worse it makes no impact.
Agree, just send it to them anyway. Worst case, it has no effect whatsoever.
Bath didn't request to see mine, should I be concerned?
Original post by Anonymous
Bath didn't request to see mine, should I be concerned?

Look in your spam folder.
Original post by McGinger
Look in your spam folder.

Sill nothing... oh dear
Reply 8
Just here to say I did end up sending my MAT details, just got a confirmation email that they received it. Hope it all goes good lol.

If Bath didn't request your MAT, I don't think it means anything bad.
Original post by MelonCrazy
Just here to say I did end up sending my MAT details, just got a confirmation email that they received it. Hope it all goes good lol.

If Bath didn't request your MAT, I don't think it means anything bad.

They just requested mine today, have they gotten back to you with the decision? If yes how long did they take?
Original post by Anonymous
They just requested mine today, have they gotten back to you with the decision? If yes how long did they take?

I've since got an offer from Bath. Absolutely no mention of the MAT. Got my offer in January
Original post by MelonCrazy
Hello there.

I have applied to Oxford and Bath among a few others.

I have sat my MAT exam this year. Bath have just emailed me requesting my MAT number so they can presumably look at my score. I don't think I did awful, but I also don't think I did amazing, so would it hinder my chances of an offer from Bath if I did send them my MAT number? (Bath DO NOT require MAT for the course, as stated on their webpage.)

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm Isobel, and I'm a 2nd year maths student at the University of Bath.

I know this was posted a couple of months ago but thought I would reply so people can use this for future reference.

The MAT is a very difficult exam which the University of Bath recognises, so you will never be disadvantaged for providing them with your MAT results as this is an optional exam for Bath. I was told this by a member of the maths undergraduate admissions team when I applied, and the entry requirements haven't changed since.

Taking the MAT can get you a reduced offer, which is why Bath may ask for your MAT results as you may be eligible for a lower offer. Here is a link to the Mathematics Entry Requirements which mentions MAT in one of the alternative offers.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Isobel (2nd year maths student)
Original post by University of Bath
Hi, I'm Isobel, and I'm a 2nd year maths student at the University of Bath.

I know this was posted a couple of months ago but thought I would reply so people can use this for future reference.

The MAT is a very difficult exam which the University of Bath recognises, so you will never be disadvantaged for providing them with your MAT results as this is an optional exam for Bath. I was told this by a member of the maths undergraduate admissions team when I applied, and the entry requirements haven't changed since.

Taking the MAT can get you a reduced offer, which is why Bath may ask for your MAT results as you may be eligible for a lower offer. Here is a link to the Mathematics Entry Requirements which mentions MAT in one of the alternative offers.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Isobel (2nd year maths student)

That was really helpful thank you !!

Bath requested my MAT score but they don’t give reduced offers to IB applicants so why would they have asked for it if not for a reduced offer?

They asked for it about a month ago and still haven’t gotten back to me with a decision , should I be worried?
When universities are looking at applicants, they want as much information about the applicant as possible, so if they know you are taking the MAT they will want to know your score to get a better view of you as a candidate. Your MAT score will not disadvantage you should you decide to share it with the University of Bath.

The deadline for universities to reply is not until the 19th May, as the UCAS website states here, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything back yet. Universities have a lot of applications to go through so the process does take some time - don't take not hearing yet as a 'bad sign', they will respond as soon as they can.

Best of luck with your application, let me know if you have any further questions.
Isobel (2nd year maths)

Quick Reply

Latest