The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath second year accommodation

Hi, I have recently received an offer to study at bath. However , I am hesitant due to concerns over the cost of second and third year accommodation. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how much it would cost or advice.
Thanks
Original post by Hahaha 152626262
Hi, I have recently received an offer to study at bath. However , I am hesitant due to concerns over the cost of second and third year accommodation. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of how much it would cost or advice.
Thanks

Congrats on your offer! I was wondering the exact same. what course is your offer for?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Thanks

Congratulations!
Obviously it'll vary a bit depending on where in Bath your house is situated, size, bills (if they're included) etc etc! Mine next year will be £540 per month (bills included) and it's similar this year. You might also want to take into consideration how you're going to get to uni walk/cycle, car (and pay for parking) or bus (I think you can get bus passes for the whole year) :smile:
Thanks

Hi,

Congratulations on your offer! Bath is more expensive in terms of rent compared to other cities but there are many ways in which you can budget and manage your money in other areas. You can expect to pay around £500-£600 pp pm (per person per month) for rent but this is dependent on location, number of rooms, en-suite/ shared bathroom etc. You can get bills included, or work out your utility bills yourself (which I recommend doing if youre looking to save money). In second year, we paid £495 pppm for rent and around £95 pppm for bills as we decided to do a package deal through "UniHomes". Although our rent was on the cheaper side, we ended up spending more on bills compared to others who were doing it separately, through other providers such as Octopus energy or Fuse etc. For my upcoming final year, rent has increased (probably due to cost of living) to £570 pppm however we plan to arrange bills ourselves. Most of the second and third year students live in an area called Oldfield park which is great as your friends will likely be a 10-15 minute walk away. There is also a nice highstreet with a local sainsburys and charity shops etc. and the Uni bus goes straight to campus from here with a 20 minute bus journey. There are also options in Bearflat, combe down etc. Areas closer to the Royal Crescent i have found are more expensive.

The University provides a lot of financial advice and support for students such as short-term loans, bursaries and scholarships which you can find out more about here: Student Money Advice (bath.ac.uk). There are also many jobs within the SU and the university which are well paying. For example, I have worked as a student ambassador for the university which is very flexible, zero-hour contract and the money I get from this assist with my social and food costs. Although cost is a factor to consider, I hope that it dosen’t completely deter you from universities which may be right for you, as there are many ways in which you can manage/ earn money, but still enjoy yourself and your university experience!

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Sharon (3rd year placement student Biomedical sciences)
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest