The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath Comp Sci Rejection

I received a rejection, really disappointed as Bath was my first choice. Predicted 2A*/2A in
Comp Sci, Chemistry, FM and Maths (have A in maths already). Can only think my personal statement was not great, but I have work experience. So I’m not sure where it went wrong. Does anyone know what the stats are like if people re apply with grades in hand? Or is it a case they just don’t like me - and I should give up on Bath.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bath raised its entry requirements for CS this year, and it is now mega-competitive. They look at your whole academic profile, including GCSEs etc, and many people with otherwise 'good' applications will have missed out this year.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Bath raised its entry requirements for CS this year, and it is now mega-competitive. They look at your whole academic profile, including GCSEs etc, and many people with otherwise 'good' applications will have missed out this year.

I have all 9s/8s at GCSE.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have all 9s/8s at GCSE.

Again, it's mega-competitive this year. I'm really sorry to hear you didn't get an offer. I don't suppose they gave a reason for your rejection?
Reply 4
Thank you, nothing from Bath yet - just UCAS notification.
Reply 5
My friend is in CS first year. He said Bath wants to see the A* in Math and FM. He said Math is more useful to him than his background in CS.
Don’t feel bad about it, I got rejected with 4A* predicted in the same a levels except physics instead of chemistry plus I had work experience, plus was a winner of a European space agency competition with commendation for my programming, plus all 9s and one 8 at GCSE, I really don’t know what Bath is looking for this year but I guess there are some other criteria that we haven’t been able to meet…
Reply 7
Original post by MathsTorture
Don’t feel bad about it, I got rejected with 4A* predicted in the same a levels except physics instead of chemistry plus I had work experience, plus was a winner of a European space agency competition with commendation for my programming, plus all 9s and one 8 at GCSE, I really don’t know what Bath is looking for this year but I guess there are some other criteria that we haven’t been able to meet…

This year it looks like you need a little bit of luck (and practically a perfect application). Don't forget they increased their entry requirements because of the vast number of applicants who were applying.
Could be down to the vagaries of the statement scoring. I would not take it to heart as they clearly reject a lot of excellent candidates.
Reply 9

Wow, that is insane. Where is your first choice?
I received a rejection, really disappointed as Bath was my first choice. Predicted 2A*/2A in
Comp Sci, Chemistry, FM and Maths (have A in maths already). Can only think my personal statement was not great, but I have work experience. So I’m not sure where it went wrong. Does anyone know what the stats are like if people re apply with grades in hand? Or is it a case they just don’t like me - and I should give up on Bath.

I got rejcted as well with 3 A* in math further maths and physics and 9 9s at GCSE. My personal statement was good enough to get an interview for cambridge (even though i did get rejected post interview). No idea what more I could have done.

Wow, that is insane. Where is your first choice?

First choice is St Andrews, still waiting, apparently they only get back March the earliest and usually May according to my Sixth Form advisor.

Gosh! I hope they are being as demanding with International students!
Original post by ilovelemons

Gosh! I hope they are being as demanding with International students!

Something makes me doubt that they are being as demanding considering some of the headlines at the moment. I think they’re also prioritising people who go on their pathway programmes, I saw a guy on the 6th Form Reddit get in with A*AB to the same course as us cursed rejects and who also had 6s-3s at GCSE BUT he had done the Pathway to Bath programme which guarantees a place at the university if you complete it fully, I’m not hating on the guy who got in with those grades, just saying that OP might want to consider taking a gap year and doing the pathway programme if they’re really passionate about bath.
Something makes me doubt that they are being as demanding considering some of the headlines at the moment. I think they’re also prioritising people who go on their pathway programmes, I saw a guy on the 6th Form Reddit get in with A*AB to the same course as us cursed rejects and who also had 6s-3s at GCSE BUT he had done the Pathway to Bath programme which guarantees a place at the university if you complete it fully, I’m not hating on the guy who got in with those grades, just saying that OP might want to consider taking a gap year and doing the pathway programme if they’re really passionate about bath.

Are you referring to the International Foundation Year offered by University of Bath via Bath College? "Guaranteed" for progression if you pass with 80% of the pre-requisite subjects. For some subjects, the passing % is higher because the students taking this route to better their results (instead of repeating IB or A Levels or their national exam board) are not stupid but have near misses. So that "B" was the show stopper which University of Bath has refused to budge.
No, or at least I don’t think I am. https://www.bath.ac.uk/campaigns/pathway-to-bath-programme/ that’s what I was talking about, its meant to go around A level studies.
really surprised about bath - i know of a few students holding offers at imperial/warwick etc who have been rejected from bath, not sure what they looked at differently to all the other unis
Reply 17
Any idea of any applicants who were successful? Where do they stand?
Reply 18
Original post by yaashn
Any idea of any applicants who were successful? Where do they stand?

Successful (home) applicants seem to:

Have a practically perfect application with a little bit of luck
Participated in one of the university's outreach programmes (Target Bath, Pathway to Bath or Discover Bath) - these people have received guaranteed offers (subject to a few conditions).
hey guys, sorry about all your rejections. Quick question, I am contextual as I am a young carer, will that help a lot ?

Quick Reply

Latest