The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Starting a module earlier than the start date provided by OU.

Hi all,

I have a total of 180 CATS in Criminology from when I was studying for a Criminology degree around 10 years ago which I never finished. I have applied for a credit transfer to see if OU will be happy to accept the full 180 CATS which would be transferred to exactly the same degree I'd be studying with OU. This means that ideally I'd be starting with OU halfway through my second year with only 60 credits required to complete the second year.

Assuming this is the case, the module I'd be starting on according to the course details starts in October.

Does anyone know if OU are flexible enough to have students start earlier than the date available? If it's all online I was hoping there may be some wiggle room if I wanted a start date in April instead of October as a 10 month wait for me due to personal commitments is quite long.

Edit: Perhaps they'd be able to add me into the second half of the second year that started in October 2021, meaning I'd perhaps be able to start the third year October 2022? Are they flexible in this regard?

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Underwateranchor
Hi all,

I have a total of 180 CATS in Criminology from when I was studying for a Criminology degree around 10 years ago which I never finished. I have applied for a credit transfer to see if OU will be happy to accept the full 180 CATS which would be transferred to exactly the same degree I'd be studying with OU. This means that ideally I'd be starting with OU halfway through my second year with only 60 credits required to complete the second year.

Assuming this is the case, the module I'd be starting on according to the course details starts in October.

Does anyone know if OU are flexible enough to have students start earlier than the date available? If it's all online I was hoping there may be some wiggle room if I wanted a start date in April instead of October as a 10 month wait for me due to personal commitments is quite long.

Edit: Perhaps they'd be able to add me into the second half of the second year that started in October 2021, meaning I'd perhaps be able to start the third year October 2022? Are they flexible in this regard?

Thanks

The module website will open a couple of weeks before the module kicks off. You won't be able to do anything before the website opens and you're allocated a tutor. You can't start an October course in June if that's what you're thinking.

Also, while getting a few weeks ahead is encouraged, they discourage diving in and trying to finish and submit the TMAs early because you're supposed to use the feedback from TMA 01 to help you improve going into TMA02 and so on.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
There's a cut off for credit transfer with the OU - which I think is 8 years, so unfortunately you might find you need to re-do the whole thing.

It's worth asking, but be prepared for them not letting you count the credits towards a qualification with them.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Matilda_Moo
There's a cut off for credit transfer with the OU - which I think is 8 years, so unfortunately you might find you need to re-do the whole thing.

It's worth asking, but be prepared for them not letting you count the credits to a qualification with them.

I think the cut off is 16 years, actually
Reply 4
It’s 16 years according to their website - https://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
Rechecked, it is 16 yrs

Quick Reply

Latest