The Student Room Group

UoL vs the Open University

Hello. I'm looking to get my undergrad degree in Business and Management via distance learning. My current options are the University of London (under academic direction from LSE) and the Open University. Which seems like the better choice?

I am open to other university suggestions which offer distance learning undergraduate degrees in Business.
Reply 1
Anyone please?
Reply 2
I can't offer any concrete advice, but here are some of my thoughts and things you could look into.
Both are very well respected, though notably the OU is designed specifically for an online degree, so they might be better. I don't know much about UoL's distance learning courses, though it is a very good uni in person. I'm not sure, too, whether you are planning to do this with a job?
The OU is well-liked because you can do it over several years, meaning you can still work throughout to earn money. I'm not sure whether UoL offers this too. I've never known anyone doing a Business degree with the OU, but I've heard brilliant things about their other courses.

It's also worth researching what modules they offer. Different universities offer different modules, and some might interest you more than others.

I think what I'm trying to say overall is that, both should be very good, however it's worth just comparing some differences by looking at the websites. On a wide-scale view, I would say that the OU is very experienced in providing online degrees and courses, and hence they might be the better option: but that's just my opinion obviously.

Sorry for not really giving anything concrete, but hopefully this provides at least a little help! Best of luck :biggrin:

Edit: definitely sounds like the OU is the better for a distance course, from what Trinculo has said. I guess the UoL would still be respected as I previously said, just due to it's general prestige, but may not be the best for a distanced course. Thanks Trinculo, PRSOM.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3
I don't know about now, but certainly University of London used to be very very tough courses. There was essentially no teaching and you'd just get a box full of books and a list of exam dates. Graduation rates were very very low. This may have changed over the past few years, but I would exercise extreme caution before embarking on one of these that you know exactly what you are getting on your course - are there actual online lectures and assignments, or are you just being left to your own devices. The fees should be an indicator of that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending