The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

White / male privilege is a myth

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rose.clm
No, I'm not wasting time disproving your ignorant assumption that you have not backed up with anything. I really do not care whether you 'yield' or not. It's not my responsibility to educate you on matters such as sexism and racism, it is your own.

Oh no, please stop assaulting me. After all, haven't you heard? Silence is violence. lol
Original post by Rex Invictus
Somehow thought you'd say that. Anyway, I'll play along:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsaUYhZVAAEtu8w?format=jpg
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh no, please stop assaulting me. After all, haven't you heard? Silence is violence. lol

What are you even talking about?
Original post by Reality Check

A favourite of mine :smile:

Just a shame the rather disgusting rabbit hole that Graham Linehan disappeared down afterwards, but I'll console myself that Arthur Matthews probably wrote all the good stuff.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
Heterosexual privilege is indeed a real thing. Straight people get to just date normally. They don't have to worry about what their parents might think. They don't have to worry about whether they'll get kicked out or sent to conversion therapy. They don't have to keep their partners a secret just because of the gender of their partners. Straight people have the privilege of being able to love without people questioning them on their sexuality and asking for proof. They don't have to go through denial, self-hatred, confusion and anger that they can't just be "normal" because they already are "normal". They don't have to worry about getting hate-crimed for just holding hands with their partner in public. There are so many countries where it's illegal to be homosexual and it's even punishable by death which is absolutely horrendous. Heterosexuals have privilege and that is a fact.

There are many heterosexual people from unreasonable households who are not allowed to date full stop, even within the uk.
If caught doing so- they risk being thrown out by relatives or subjected to brutal violence if they are discovered to be unmarried & pregnant or with any sexual history.

In some religious theocracies, there is very strict segregation of unrelated citizen individuals over 10 years of age of the opposite biological sex.
All handshakes/hugs/kissing cheeks/close voluntary social contact is forbidden- doing so risks arrest & a criminal record which may involve punishment beatings.
While in those same countries it is socially acceptable for such unrelated citizen individuals of the same biological sex to hug, shake hands, kiss cheeks and undertake close voluntary social contact.
Original post by rose.clm
What are you even talking about?

Sounds like OP is taking the mick.
Probably created this thread to troll for laughs.
Original post by Admit-One
Getting rather tired of these 'prove me wrong' threads today.

If I start a thread saying Shaq is 4'2" and it's just been perspective all along, the onus is not on other people to validate his height.

So tired that you take the time to respond to one to say how tired you are. Ok lol.
Original post by londonmyst
There are many heterosexual people from unreasonable households who are not allowed to date full stop, even within the uk.
If caught doing so- they risk being thrown out by relatives or subjected to brutal violence if they are discovered to be unmarried & pregnant or with any sexual history.

In some religious theocracies, there is very strict segregation of unrelated citizen individuals over 10 years of age of the opposite biological sex.
All handshakes/hugs/kissing cheeks/close voluntary social contact is forbidden- doing so risks arrest & a criminal record which may involve punishment beatings.
While in those same countries it is socially acceptable for such unrelated citizen individuals of the same biological sex to hug, shake hands, kiss cheeks and undertake close voluntary social contact.

But presumably all of these things would also apply to LGBTQ+ people, in addition to the reasons kaorimiyazono mentioned.
Original post by londonmyst
Sounds like OP is taking the mick.
Probably created this thread to troll for laughs.

No, I am being serious. They are both myths.
Original post by Admit-One
Just a shame the rather disgusting rabbit hole that Graham Linehan disappeared down afterwards, but I'll console myself that Arthur Matthews probably wrote all the good stuff.

I feel exactly the same about Graham Linehan. So disappointing.
Original post by Scienceisgood
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsaUYhZVAAEtu8w?format=jpg

Ah did it come out wrong or something?

Skip to 4:50

Source please?

And by that logic:

Suicides: women are less likely to commit them - by that logic, women have it better.
Homeless people: again, more men. So likely better
Homicides - men have it higher, again women have it better.

A lot of this is down to men statistically taking more risks than women. That and the workplace deaths, men are more likely to work with heavy machinery and thereby work in more dangerous environments, thereby the excess deaths.
Original post by Scienceisgood
Source please?

And by that logic:

Suicides: women are less likely to commit them - by that logic, women have it better.
Homeless people: again, more men. So likely better
Homicides - men have it higher, again women have it better.

A lot of this is down to men statistically taking more risks than women. That and the workplace deaths, men are more likely to work with heavy machinery and thereby work in more dangerous environments, thereby the excess deaths.

What exactly are you asking?
What exactly are you asking?

I’m asking you to source that picture and where it came from. As in a non-biased source please.
Original post by Reality Check
I feel exactly the same about Graham Linehan. So disappointing.

There must surely come a point where you are estranged from your wife and kid(s), booted from social media, and are a pariah in your profession that you take a step back and think, "hmm, I've probably gone off the deep end on this, haven't I?". Well apparently not for poor old Linehan. Last I heard he was trolling people on dating apps by pretending to be transgender. You know, like someone who was perfectly happy with their life would be doing? :smile:
No, I am being serious. They are both myths.

Hiya, unfortunately your thread doesn't meet the standards outlined here and so I'm going to close it. The responses you've had haven't been what we'd hope for within a decent debate thread either, so if you would like to create a thread which will meet TSR's standards feel free to - or come and chat to me in Ask a Section Leader if you want to talk about this more. :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending