The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'They' pronoun is confusing!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xobeauty
That’s one thing I’m not willing to change.
I’m referring to people as a he or she.

what if someone demands you call them by pronouns... otherwise you are being "offensive"

WWYD
Reply 21
There are fifteen or so different definitions for the word "set", I think you can cope with using "they" to refer to the singular.

My bad, there are 44
(edited 2 years ago)
Can I ask, what lead you to come to this conclusion/ what peaked you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
It's two thirds fewer syllables than he or she.

There are fifteen or so different definitions for the word "set", I think you can cope with using "they" to refer to the singular.

sorry, i dont count syllables when im in conversation, i should do that more often :smile:

also he = 1 syllable
she = 1 syllable, they = 1 syllable

i dont know about you, but those 3 numbers seem identical - its like they're the SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES isnt it?
Original post by Anonymous
my english teacher lied the whole time

i cant help but agree

AK/47

Shoudlnt it be "lol" to match ur pfp

AK/47? if that's a pronoun then god.
in that case, care to explain what neopronouns are, where you can literally be called whatever you want?

my "pronouns" could be AK/47 - and that's what you're stuck with... so in a grammatical sense, where would that lie?

i don't mean to fire shots, but this one came out the barrel

How about you take a nice deep breath and run yourself a long bath.
Because they (for whatever reason) don't want to be referred to as he or she.
Reply 27
sorry, i dont count syllables when im in conversation, i should do that more often :smile:

also he = 1 syllable
she = 1 syllable, they = 1 syllable

i dont know about you, but those 3 numbers seem identical - its like they're the SAME NUMBER OF SYLLABLES isnt it?

It's two-thirds fewer syllables than "he or she", which is what you might use when referring to someone of unknown gender. Or you just use "they". I bet you've already done that and it made sense to whoever heard it, so quit whining.
Original post by Talkative Toad
AK/47? if that's a pronoun then god.

yup, thats my new one i guess

Original post by Cancelled Alice
Can I ask, what lead you to come to this conclusion/ what peaked you?

i recommend you to have a read of the previous page, in case your question has already been answered :smile:

Original post by Son of the Sea
How about you take a nice deep breath and run yourself a long bath.

i would say the same to you, but you're already Son of the Sea, aren't you

Original post by Sinnoh

My bad, there are 44

okay, the point clearly wasn't whether i can cope or not. I'd like to think i can cope with using a single word in a sentence.

but, i just wondered if there was a specific reason people refer to themselves as 'they' in paticular. what i learned was that some people decide "overtime" that they dont want to be something any longer, because it doesnt "feel right" to them, hence they make pronouns as a result

I may have my own reasons for making this anonymous, if you have something against that, please share it.

Misusing the anonymous function is against the terms of use of the site you are currently using.
Original post by artful_lounger
Misusing the anonymous function is against the terms of use of the site you are currently using.

I'm glad you have made them aware of this, it is useful information that they can consider when they are creating posts in the future.
Reply 31
Original post by jaesix
because someone who goes by the they pronoun identifies with genders that don't fall under the categories of male or female. the cause of gender dysphoria doesn't have a single clear answer so there really isn't much point with the continuous questions of "why". if that's what the person identifies as, it's not our place to judge or question. if they're a they, they're a they.

Nope, they say they're a they. Not they are a they. Big difference
yes i just did a little research, and found its a 'feeling', so it is not a natural condition, you're not born with it... its something you choose to do. a sense of unease, according to NHS, because you dont feel your biological sex matches your gender identity. It's a fact.

Yes there is, because i am free to choose to post this anonymously or not, the same way someone can identify as they want.

I may have my own reasons for making this anonymous, if you have something against that, please share it.

i now understand a little more. thank you

I can't make this any more clear that it is not a choice!! Like I didnt wake up one day and be like "I choose to be trans from now on". I have been trans my whole life I've just finally realised and accepted it.
what if someone demands you call them by pronouns... otherwise you are being "offensive"

WWYD

then I don’t mind being offensive.
Reply 34
Original post by _Robyn_
I can't make this any more clear that it is not a choice!! Like I didnt wake up one day and be like "I choose to be trans from now on". I have been trans my whole life I've just finally realised and accepted it.

Ngl Idek if I understood anything there
Original post by _Robyn_

But if you decide to live your life as trans as opposed to continuing to live as your birth gender, that is a choice (I am absolutely not saying you shouldn't do that, just pointing out that choice is involved)
He is mad.
She is mad.
They are mad.

'They' is when more than one person is mad, in my example.
But why do people refer to themselves as 'they'.

I know its a preference, but why?

Use of "they" as a singular pronoun actually dates back to 1375! It may not feel natural at first, but it's important to make the effort to use people's correct pronouns, and you'll get used to it quicker than you think. Also, when it comes down to how someone feels versus correct grammar, I think you should always favour how someone feels (and that's coming from a passionate linguist!). Plus, you've probably comfortably been using the singular "they" for people with unspecified genders without even realising it - eg: "It looks like someone left their coat behind! I hope they come back and find it, else they'll be cold later!"
Reply 37
Original post by lucy-joy
Use of "they" as a singular pronoun actually dates back to 1375! It may not feel natural at first, but it's important to make the effort to use people's correct pronouns, and you'll get used to it quicker than you think. Also, when it comes down to how someone feels versus correct grammar, I think you should always favour how someone feels (and that's coming from a passionate linguist!). Plus, you've probably comfortably been using the singular "they" for people with unspecified genders without even realising it - eg: "It looks like someone left their coat behind! I hope they come back and find it, else they'll be cold later!"

We might as well just start speaking Shakespearian atp then :rofl:
Original post by Slx.24
We might as well just start speaking Shakespearian atp then :rofl:

I don't think I understand what you mean.
Original post by Son of the Sea
Despite finding the they pronoun weird as someone’s pronoun choice, “they” has existed as a non-specific pronoun in English for a very long time. For example, if the police are looking for an unknown suspect they could easily ask you “have you seen them? Did they go this way or that way?”

Its actually what I prefer to use during med school interviews so there's no misunderstanding eg. Nurse - she Dr - he. Completley unintended but you dont want to make the wrong impression. Also, I always use they on here as its easier than checking a profile

Latest

Trending

Trending