The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

'They' pronoun is confusing!!

He is mad.
She is mad.
They are mad.

'They' is when more than one person is mad, in my example.
But why do people refer to themselves as 'they'.

I know its a preference, but why?

Scroll to see replies

because they don't feel male or female
Original post by hungrysalamander
@kayPak is this you?

whoever it is they are mad :angry:
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
because they don't feel male or female

if you don't feel either, then what do you feel?
Despite finding the they pronoun weird as someone’s pronoun choice, “they” has existed as a non-specific pronoun in English for a very long time. For example, if the police are looking for an unknown suspect they could easily ask you “have you seen them? Did they go this way or that way?”
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by the bear

good pun.

but no, im not mad, im genuinely curious
Original post by the bear

Actually, kay's pronouns are zie/zer.
Reply 7
Original post by Son of the Sea
Despite finding the they pronoun weird as someone’s pronoun choice, “they” has existed as a non-specific pronoun in English for a very long time. For example, if the police are looking for an unknown suspect they could easily ask you “have you seen them? Did they go this way or that way?”

that would make sense in your context.
but in a broader sense, some people really like to have specifics attachted to titles, where it simply doesn't make sense to me. I'm not atttacking anyone, and if its your decision, then so be it, but i'm just curious as to why...
Reply 8
what makes someone wake up one day and say, i want to be a "they" because i don't

feel male or female
Original post by Anonymous
what makes someone wake up one day and say, i want to be a "they" because i don't

Gender dysphoria, the point that you don't feel it mneans nothing because your experiences are not universal.

Also there is no reason for this thread or your comments to be made anonymously unless you are trying to be offensive without any repercussions.

because someone who goes by the they pronoun identifies with genders that don't fall under the categories of male or female. the cause of gender dysphoria doesn't have a single clear answer so there really isn't much point with the continuous questions of "why". if that's what the person identifies as, it's not our place to judge or question. if they're a they, they're a they.
Original post by Son of the Sea

in that case, care to explain what neopronouns are, where you can literally be called whatever you want?

my "pronouns" could be AK/47 - and that's what you're stuck with... so in a grammatical sense, where would that lie?

i don't mean to fire shots, but this one came out the barrel
in that case, care to explain what neopronouns are, where you can literally be called whatever you want?

my "pronouns" could be AK/47 - and that's what you're stuck with... so in a grammatical sense, where would that lie?

i don't mean to fire shots, but this one came out the barrel

Lmao
Don't see how they is weird, now pronouns like tree, cat, Zed etc imo are weird.
I was taught that they means more than one person.

It's not an overnight decision. It's a gradual realisation that someone referring to you using "he" or "she" makes you feel uncomfortable, and the longer it goes on without being addressed the worse it feels.

I don't know, it is not something I have personally experienced. But I would assume too much free time on their hands (this is meant to be sarcastic, before anyone feels the need to report)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by jaesix
because someone who goes by the they pronoun identifies with genders that don't fall under the categories of male or female. the cause of gender dysphoria doesn't have a single clear answer so there really isn't much point with the continuous questions of "why". if that's what the person identifies as, it's not our place to judge or question. if they're a they, they're a they.

Original post by 1582
It's not an overnight decision. It's a gradual realisation that someone referring to you using "he" or "she" makes you feel uncomfortable, and the longer it goes on without being addressed the worse it feels.

i now understand a little more. thank you
Original post by Other_Owl
I was taught that they means more than one person.

my english teacher lied the whole time

I don't know, it is not something I have personally experienced. But I would assume too much free time on their hands.

i cant help but agree

Original post by zuluwarrior7650
Lmao

Shoudlnt it be "lol" to match ur pfp
That’s one thing I’m not willing to change.
I’m referring to people as a he or she.

Latest

Trending

Trending