The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Wacom pen and tablet

Hi there

I’m looking at getting my daughter a Wacom tablet and pen for when she starts Concept Art at Staffs. Not sure where to start - any advice, please ?
I had one, only looked around the tech shops nearby, and it worked fine. The set up was a bit confusing though. I think you should talk to her first and see if the uni wants a certain model or anything, if not anything of the right size should be ok
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Original post by Monkeyglue
Hi there

I’m looking at getting my daughter a Wacom tablet and pen for when she starts Concept Art at Staffs. Not sure where to start - any advice, please ?

Hi there MonkeyGlue!

Hopefully I can give some advice on this as a Concept Art student myself. At the University, there are tablets and pens provided during lessons at all times. For outside class work, there are several different types of pens and tablets available to hire and take home to use as well! So owning one at home isn't always a must. The standard tablet throughout for Concept Art is the Wacom Intuos Pro so if you want one that can be used easily and she can use her own pen with in class this would be the one to get!

However, if you're on a budget there are other options too! I personally have only used the brand Huion at home and have had no problems with them. They tend to be cheaper and you can get bigger tablets for a better price. However, the drivers would likely not be compatible with the universities so it would be for home use only! Similarly, there is also the brand XP-Pen as well as the ability to use newer Samsung Galaxy Tabs and IPads with art programs as well as having other uses!

I hope this advice can be helpful and if you have any other questions please feel free to reply to me on this thread and I can reply!

Thanks.

Rhys (He/Him)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending