The Student Room Group

Chemistry Computer at University

Hi!
Anyone studying Chemistry at University, what do you take notes on? I’m starting next September and currently have a macbook but i’m just wondering if it’s any good for writing formulae or drawing compounds as it’s not compatible with a pen. Would people recommend a different brand laptop or one that is touchscreen and almost folds in half so it’s able to be drawn on, or is an ipad easier to use?
Thank youㅤ ᵕ̈
Original post by b-12lo98tsk
Hi!
Anyone studying Chemistry at University, what do you take notes on? I’m starting next September and currently have a macbook but i’m just wondering if it’s any good for writing formulae or drawing compounds as it’s not compatible with a pen. Would people recommend a different brand laptop or one that is touchscreen and almost folds in half so it’s able to be drawn on, or is an ipad easier to use?
Thank youㅤ ᵕ̈

I find that paper and pen/pencil work just fine.
Notes can then be transferred to laptop/pc/mainframe/cloud/ouija board/ later, giving an opportunity to go over lecture notes - win, win.
Reply 2
Original post by b-12lo98tsk
Hi!
Thank youㅤ ᵕ̈

I usually just use paper. The lecturers usually make available (and sometimes even print) the handouts or powerpoint slides so I tend to write on those. Quite a few people use an ipad (or similar) with a pen; I also know someone with a touchscreen laptop. Depends how you work best :smile:

For drawing compounds digitally I use ChemDraw neater than hand drawn stuff for lab reports or whatever.
Reply 3
I usually download the slides on to my tablet and then annotate them during the lecture. Then usually at a later date (during winter/spring break) write them up on pen and paper and write some flashcards to go with each lecture.

For equation writing, I use LaTeX in Notion or the equation function in MS Word (which can take some practice to use it quickly).
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest