The Student Room Group

isaac physics a level physics help

hi i need help with my isaac physics board on ideal gases
g2.3
How many molecules of gas do you need in a 100cm ^3
cylinder to exert a pressure of,1.0×10 ^8
Pa at a temperature of 800 C? Give your answer to 2 significant figures.
A water fire extinguisher contains about four litres of air at 10 ^7 Pa and 20 C. When the extinguisher is used, this gas forces the water out. Calculate the pressure when the volume has increased to ten litres and the temperature has dropped to about 3.0 C. Give your answer to 2 significant figures.
thx
The data and formula booklet you're given in the A level exam (and is also downloadable from the exam board website) often contains useful formulae
gas laws.JPG

and constants
constants.JPG
Reply 2
For the first question, you can use the formula pV=NkT where p is the pressure, V is the volume, N is the number of molecules, k is the Boltzmann constant (1.38x10^-23) and T is the temperature in kelvin. Just be careful with the units and convert cm^3 to m^3 for the volume.
For the second one, pV/T is constant, so (p1V1)/T1=(p2V2)/T2 (note that the 1 and 2 here just means before and after). You have all the values for this equation to solve for p2. Again, don't forget to change the units. Hope this helps.
thankyou! i finished the entire board now
:smile:
For Isaac Physics the answer is
6.8*10^23
Original post by Blessing_23
For Isaac Physics the answer is
6.8*10^23

Hi Blessing_23,
Welcome to TSR, please don't post the answer. It is more helpful to explain the question or provide some guidance. Thanks.

Latest