The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Is UEL THAT bad?

I’m hoping to study BSc Counselling at UEL this year. It’s one of the few universities that offer a degree in counselling. The reviews about UEL are SO off putting...is the university THAT bad?! It would be great to hear from anyone that’s studied/studying at UEL, particularly counselling or psychology graduates/students. TIA
I didn't study psychology or counselling at uel but I did study at uel, in my experience it wasn't bad I had lectures that provided so much support to me especially during the pandemic. I definitely think the support they provide is better compared to other uni's. It's just it's seen as low ranking in terms of education but I left my bachelors with a first class.
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't study psychology or counselling at uel but I did study at uel, in my experience it wasn't bad I had lectures that provided so much support to me especially during the pandemic. I definitely think the support they provide is better compared to other uni's. It's just it's seen as low ranking in terms of education but I left my bachelors with a first class.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! Great to hear that they were supportive. Was the university disorganised?
Reply 3
I've applied to do a counselling degree at UEL this year and had my interview yesterday. The course looks good and the interview went well but you're right the reviews are really bad! I'm now trying to decide what to do. I'd also like to hear from anyone that has done the counselling degree there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi all!

I currently study at UEL, so I think that I can help with this!

To be honest, I never had a negative experience at UEL. This is my 4th year here, I also did my foundation at UEL and I'm very-very pleased! The highlight of UEL is the support that it offers to its students and it's not just the support services, but also the people who run the courses. I came from another country to study at UEL and they really made me feel comfortable and made sure that my university experience and journey are smooth and pleasant. The teaching style (in the Fine Art department, where I study) is great, very friendly tutors, always there for a chat or a tutorial, the facilities are perfect. As a Fine Art student, I have everything I need and again, the technicians in the workshops are very supportive and have in-depth knowledge of their area. Generally facilities are modern, very well-equipped and at great locations - Docklands and Stratford. I've even stayed at the on-campus accommodation and I have no complaints! I've made some very good friends and joined lovely activities.

I hope that this helps! Feel free to send me a private message, if you need further information. :smile:

-Apostolos
Reply 5
Thanks very much for the information. Very helpful!
Reply 6
Well I felt exactly same way just 2 months ago when I’ve got my UEL offer and needed to accept or decline ASAP because it was literally a few days till the deadline. To be honest I’ve never heard of UEL before. It’s probably not something prestigious or recognisable so I had really mixed feelings at that moment. After reading reviews I was even a bit upset :wink: But I’ve accepted the offer and started my studies. The first impression of uni was good. Modern buildings, facilities, good condition of campuses. Much better than I could expect, BUT. My second impression was about the amount of Indian students. You literally feel like you came to India haha (it’s nothing wrong about different nationalities but it’s weird when the majority is from the same country). Tutors. Some of them normal, some of them good. Generally no complain. Can’t judge about the education level yet but it doesn’t feel being hard so far.UEL is pretty far from central London but it’s fine if you live somewhere around. Overall I’d say I loved this place. Even though at some moment I felt like I did a mistake. Have a feeling like I’m always happy to go there. Even if it means I have to wake up at 6 :smile: And for general understanding - yeah I’m the picky one. So you can definitely believe to every word I said :smile: Good luck
Reply 7
Original post by Ben119
Thanks very much for the information. Very helpful!

My daughter is doing a BSc in Psychology, and she loves it. The School of Psychology at UEL is great!
We are really happy.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Quierosaber
I’m hoping to study BSc Counselling at UEL this year. It’s one of the few universities that offer a degree in counselling. The reviews about UEL are SO off putting...is the university THAT bad?! It would be great to hear from anyone that’s studied/studying at UEL, particularly counselling or psychology graduates/students. TIA

Hi,

The University of East London offers BSc Counselling and applications can be made using the following link : BSc (Hons) Counselling | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

UEL has an Open Event coming up. This is a great opportunity for you to speak to current students and Academics. It can be booked using the following link : Undergraduate Open Days | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

You may also like to speak to Student Ambassadors studying the course. They can be reached via Unibuddy using the following link : Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

Feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333, should you have any further queries.

-Anisha
Original post by Ben119
I've applied to do a counselling degree at UEL this year and had my interview yesterday. The course looks good and the interview went well but you're right the reviews are really bad! I'm now trying to decide what to do. I'd also like to hear from anyone that has done the counselling degree there.
Is this a degree apprenticeship and dyu have any updates on how u found it ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending