The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Is UEL as bad as everyone says?

I've recently received an offer for Film from UEL and I've since started to read more reviews. The reputation the university has is really starting to prevent me from wanting to go. It was originally my first choice for uni as studying film while living in London sounds amazing. But now I've read that lecturers are lazy and fail to show up quite often. I've also noticed that the uni seems to be tailored more towards mature students. Has anyone studied film at UEL? And does anyone have a review of the uni that doesn't completely rip it apart? Or should I just avoid it altogether?
I'm currently studying film at UEL, and I can honestly say that the lectures and the lecturers themselves are amazing. The lecturers are always there on time and are extremely passionate and knowledgeable about film, and if your interested in all aspects of film then I really recommend studying film here. As for the uni itself, I personally think it's great, I couldn't have chosen a better university to go to (but that's based on my own personal experience of course, but many people here are very happy). There are many opportunities here, such as joining clubs and societies, and it's a very diverse university, people have come here from so many different countries and backgrounds. Also, there are many young people here, and older students as well, but I would say that there are more younger students here, so don't think that it's just a uni for mature students. Also living in London is amazing. If you get bored on campus you can just head into London for the day, and having a train station on campus is extremely convenient. There are also supermarkets and other shops in walking distance, and the SU bar and library are great too. And if you're into sports, then I recommend checking out the sports facilities and sports teams here as they are amazing.
All in all, I think you should definitely keep UEL as your first choice, especially as studying film in London could offer some great opertunities compared to universities in other places.
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Having read the reviews I just wantec to give a warning. My daughter has just withdrawn from UEL. It was a tough choice. But from moving in day and four and half hour registration to very poor accommodation to no suppport from Health and well being, student mentor and student union. Lack of facilities to the crowning moment of an English Lit lecturer never hearing of Michael Morpurgo! The chair of governors and Vice Chancellor have completely failed to engage. Really poor on Pastoral, community and educational level. Really poor
Reply 3
Original post by kke
I've recently received an offer for Film from UEL and I've since started to read more reviews. The reputation the university has is really starting to prevent me from wanting to go. It was originally my first choice for uni as studying film while living in London sounds amazing. But now I've read that lecturers are lazy and fail to show up quite often. I've also noticed that the uni seems to be tailored more towards mature students. Has anyone studied film at UEL? And does anyone have a review of the uni that doesn't completely rip it apart? Or should I just avoid it altogether?

I would avoid this university based on my own awful experience and feedback from colleagues at undergrad and postgrad levels. The main criticism is organisation and administration. Constant mistakes and shocking customer service in for example: enrolment, timetabling, rooming, "The Hub", student support and academic departments. I have had to physically go and speak to these admin teams and have heard the same 'We are so busy! You do know it's a mad time of year?!' responses. Attitudes characterised by an email I got saying that it would take up to 3 weeks to respond to my enrolment query (a mistake had been made by UEL) and 'Thank you for your patience'. I would be too embarrassed to send such an admission of incompetence and lack of care, to a student. Lecturers have very variable feedback on the time and focus that they allocate to teaching duties and again, the attitude, they take towards students. One or two lecturers have gone out of their way to try to address very poor admin by emailing and chasing various UEL 'teams'. Feedback on teaching is very mixed but unfortunately includes students often receiving the standard: 'I'm not at my desk / on leave / no response' (during term-time!). On too many occasions lecturers have been completely unaware of the needs of disabled students, such as myself. My concern is that if the admin systems are as bad as I have experienced then this will have a significant impact on teaching, learning and well-being. The large queues at "The Hub" this term have been concerning and from my personal experience "The Hub" simply adds another layer of bureaucracy and frustration on top of already failing administrative processes and most worrying of all, a 'can't do' attitude to basic responsibilities of service and care.
Reply 4
I used to attend there and to be very honest, I didn't like it one bit. The way the course was set out and how lecturers and seminar leaders taught was extremely confusing and not helpful in the slightest. It wasn't very professional. There was constantly something going wrong within the course. I would avoid going there.
Original post by kke

For computing-related studies, I can say that this university is the worst in the UK and Europe. The subjects are obsolete, and teachers are not skilled enough. You might lose your motivation here. It is no surprise that there is a 34% dropout date here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending