The Student Room Group

Help with Spanish

Hey guys, I know Spanish but not very well. Can someone help me to approve it please?
You need help passing an exam, or you need help review something you wrote?
(edited 2 years ago)
No, not for an exam. I really like the language and I know how to speak but not very well and I would like to improve it.
Reply 3
You find a person that is a native speaker and ask them to have a conversation with you in spanish
Adding onto aa12556's last reply, language exchanges are brilliant, and you can get them online for free! I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention other sites or what, but the ones which I've used have helped me massively. Just go onto your web browser (Google/Bing/etc.) and search 'online language exchange free' (or something like that) and loads come up
Original post by AAAAAAAA
Hey guys, I know Spanish but not very well. Can someone help me to approve it please?

Original post by aa12556
You find a person that is a native speaker and ask them to have a conversation with you in spanish

@aa12556 has given you a good shout. I started hanging around with some people from Ecuador and Columbia and I noticed a dramatic improvement in my Spanish, and it helps using and hearing the words you've already learnt in-situ. Obviously this is Latino Spanish, who speak it slightly differently from that spoken in Spain... but the foundations are the same.

If you can't do that, then I'd suggest you listen to Spanish Podcasts. I'm not sure if you've heard of Duolingo, but they also do podcasts to accompany the learning app. They tell inspirational stories told by the people who experienced them (they are native Spanish speakers), and the hostess adds additional commentary in English, so you don't get completely lost. This one is for free and you can subscribe / download form whatever app store you use.

Another good one is News in Slow Spanish, where they cover the main global news stories, so if you're up-to-date on current affairs, you'll know what they're talking about and pick up bits & pieces. They do a free version where they only do the headlines (lasts about 5 mins) and they have a premium version where you download their own app and they last for a lot longer. There's no English spoken at all in these podcasts, but as I said, if you know the general subject matter, you'll be surprised what you can pick up

Buena suerte :smile:
Hi, not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but the other day I stumbled across this YouTube video where Gwyneth Paltrow is giving an interview about the Iron Man 3 in Spanish, and I was gobsmacked at just how much of it I understood... It's to the extent that I suspect the interview was edited to a simplified or intermediate Spanish level cause I honestly didn't expect to follow it anywhere near as well as I did. :cool:

There are no subtitles, so for the benefit of others, I'll summarise the main points:-

Basically, she learnt Spanish when she was 15 at a college in New York and later her teacher gave her an opportunity to to live in Spain with a family. Out there she fell in love with the Spanish way of life, culture language and regularly goes to Mexico. She has a friend in London and a nanny in Spain who she practices her Spanish with.

She later explains that she had a great connection with Robert Downey Jnr in the the film and she enjoys working with him, and she later talks about her book because her husband and child were allergic to gluten products, so cooks food to accommodate for this (Was that Chris Martin's best kept secret :lol: ).

EDIT:-
@AAAAAAAA @Castrovalva @aa12556 Seriously, have a watch of this... it'll be a massive confidence boost if you've ever had worries or doubts
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Hi, not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but the other day I stumbled across this YouTube video where Gwyneth Paltrow is giving an interview about the Iron Man 3 in Spanish, and I was gobsmacked at just how much of it I understood... It's to the extent that I suspect the interview was edited to a simplified or intermediate Spanish level cause I honestly didn't expect to follow it anywhere near as well as I did. :cool:

There are no subtitles, so for the benefit of others, I'll summarise the main points:-

Basically, she learnt Spanish when she was 15 at a college in New York and later her teacher gave her an opportunity to to live in Spain with a family. Out there she fell in love with the Spanish way of life, culture language and regularly goes to Mexico. She has a friend in London and a nanny in Spain who she practices her Spanish with.

She later explains that she had a great connection with Robert Downey Jnr in the the film and she enjoys working with him, and she later talks about her book because her husband and child were allergic to gluten products, so cooks food to accommodate for this (Was that Chris Martin's best kept secret :lol: ).

@AAAAAAAA @Castrovalva @aa12556 Seriously, have a watch of this... it'll be a massive confidence boost if you've ever had worries or doubts

Ok
Original post by Old Skool Freak

Not seen this before, thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply

Latest