The Student Room Group

Loughborough vs. Southampton for Mechanical Engineering

I'm currently holding an unconditional insurance offer with Loughborough (since I take the IB, my grades are already out and I missed the requirements for my firm choice) but I'm seeing Southampton in clearing and might withdraw my current offers to go into clearing and choose Southampton instead. I'm an international student so things like international recognition matter to me, but quality of the course matters far more. (for example, I turned down UCL because it's so glaringly obvious they put zero care into their Mechanical Engineering course despite being a top ranked university.) They're so even on the league tables and because of COVID I haven't been able to visit the universities, online through virtual tours both are stunning and look like nice places to go to. What would you suggest?
Both are good for Engineering subjects. Both have excellent Eng depts with excellent facilities.
Loughborough - smaller town, smaller University so more sense of 'community'', Uni is big on team sport/sport generally. Uni is relatively modern on a self contained site - ie. housing on campus.
Southampton - much bigger Uni, much bigger city, the campus is in a S'ton suburb with public roads running through it, mixture of buildings, locations etc.

So - it depends what you want in a University. A Southampton Eng degree will not be 'worth' less than one from Loughborough.
Have a look at the Campus Tour films for each Uni on YouTube - there may also be their subject films. Think carefully about what you want from your Uni experience. There is nothing to stop you just phoning/emailing S'ton to see if they would accept you - but you would have to be 'in Clearing' for them to make you a formal offer.
Original post by McGinger
Both are good for Engineering subjects. Both have excellent Eng depts with excellent facilities.
Loughborough - smaller town, smaller University so more sense of 'community'', Uni is big on team sport/sport generally. Uni is relatively modern on a self contained site - ie. housing on campus.
Southampton - much bigger Uni, much bigger city, the campus is in a S'ton suburb with public roads running through it, mixture of buildings, locations etc.

So - it depends what you want in a University. A Southampton Eng degree will not be 'worth' less than one from Loughborough.
Have a look at the Campus Tour films for each Uni on YouTube - there may also be their subject films. Think carefully about what you want from your Uni experience. There is nothing to stop you just phoning/emailing S'ton to see if they would accept you - but you would have to be 'in Clearing' for them to make you a formal offer.

If you’re talking going to talk about ‘worth’ do you think both are about the same? Where I’m from, since Southampton is a Russell Group university, people have actually heard of it and have no idea what Loughborough even is, so even if the actual course is the really reputable domestically, I’m worried lack of recognition will hinder me in the future internationally. I’m unsure about what it’s like in the UK. Loughborough are also pouring a lot of money into the right places and really rising in things like league tables and domestic reputation (but I know a lot of those tables are like BS.)
If the two courses are about on par, then it’s really down to the actual experience, location and such isn’t it?
Reply 3
I don’t know about international reputations. I think Southampton does have good international reputation especially with Aeronautics. In the UK Loughborough and Southampton are both very highly respected by engineering employers and a lot of graduates go to work for good employers. Both universities have a different feel to them. Check out the videos on their virtual open days to which you see yourself going to. You should contact prospective employers where you want to work their Personnel department and ask about university preferences.
Original post by jasmineamira
I'm currently holding an unconditional insurance offer with Loughborough (since I take the IB, my grades are already out and I missed the requirements for my firm choice) but I'm seeing Southampton in clearing and might withdraw my current offers to go into clearing and choose Southampton instead. I'm an international student so things like international recognition matter to me, but quality of the course matters far more. (for example, I turned down UCL because it's so glaringly obvious they put zero care into their Mechanical Engineering course despite being a top ranked university.) They're so even on the league tables and because of COVID I haven't been able to visit the universities, online through virtual tours both are stunning and look like nice places to go to. What would you suggest?

Hi Jasmine,

Congratulations on your offer to study at Loughborough! I'm actually from Loughborough but study Marine Biology down at Southampton! Everyone else's inputs so far has been great and I couldn't have put it better myself!

I think if possible you should speak to some students from each university, potentially via UniBuddy or Facebook Offer Holder groups to get a better grasp on things! Its definitely a tough one as everyone loves their university so much so you'll probably only get positive things said about each one!

Another thing I'd consider, is given the similarity in international reputations the two universities have, spend some time considering things other than the academics and the campus. For example, loughborough only has three nightclubs (none of which I'm a fan of) whereas Southampton has around 20 and plenty more bars and pubs! Another thing is location in the country, Southampton is a long way from northern cities and locations, but is really close to the beach and New Forest (some of which are reasons I chose to study there) whereas Loughborough is really central in the country and not too far from anything!

Hopefully this gave you a bit more food for thought! If you can think of anything you might want to know about comparing the two universities and locations please ask away!

Lottie :smile:
Third year student ambassador

Hi @jasmineamira,

I thought I'd send you some links to try and help you make a decision. Our pages of our recent Virtual Open Day are still live so check out the presentations and videos for studying Mechanical Engineering here. Have a read of what our students have to say about studying at Loughborough and all the extra-curricular activities you can get involved with.

Loughborough is ranked 5th in the UK for Mechanical Engineering and are no.1 in the UK for employer-student connections and within the top 20 globally (QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2020). We have a vibrant international international student community and offer excellent support - check out our international pages here.

Loughborough is a campus university set on vast grounds and the cities of Leicester and Nottingham are nearby.

I hope the course presentation and videos give you a better insight into what the course entails and if it something that excites you and would help you achieve your future careers goals.

Do get in touch if you have any questions - and good luck.
Bindu
Reply 6
Loughborough is better than Southampton, statistically speaking. They turned down the offer to be Russel group and are ranked higher than Southampton. I doubt people there haven't heard of Loughborough since it is internationally renowned and more famous than Southampton. But you do you
If you’re talking going to talk about ‘worth’ do you think both are about the same? Where I’m from, since Southampton is a Russell Group university, people have actually heard of it and have no idea what Loughborough even is, so even if the actual course is the really reputable domestically, I’m worried lack of recognition will hinder me in the future internationally. I’m unsure about what it’s like in the UK. Loughborough are also pouring a lot of money into the right places and really rising in things like league tables and domestic reputation (but I know a lot of those tables are like BS.)
If the two courses are about on par, then it’s really down to the actual experience, location and such isn’t it?

which one did you end up choosing

Quick Reply

Latest