The Student Room Group

need friends at uni :)

hey all,

i’m in my second semester studying history at ljmu and feel like a haven’t made a whole load of friends, not any that i’m particularly close with. it can get quite lonely and i’m just looking for some lovely people to be friends with :smile:

a bit about me; im from hertfordshire, i love reading, my music taste is very varied but i am a swiftie, and im hoping to be a history teacher :smile:
Reply 1
Are you taking advantage of the resources available to you? Clubs, events, activities, study groups ... there's really no shortage of ways to connect at university, you just have to put yourself out there and maybe get outside of your comfort zone a little.
I am a History teacher and I'm from Liverpool

Have you been to the museums in the city? How about the cathedrals?

There's a lot to see, maybe you could invite people to go and do that with you and become friends that way?
Original post by abbieelizabeth12
hey all,
i’m in my second semester studying history at ljmu and feel like a haven’t made a whole load of friends, not any that i’m particularly close with. it can get quite lonely and i’m just looking for some lovely people to be friends with :smile:
a bit about me; im from hertfordshire, i love reading, my music taste is very varied but i am a swiftie, and im hoping to be a history teacher :smile:

Hi,

I know you posted this a while ago but I felt that this might be useful for other students too, as it's very common to struggle making friends at uni, especially at first.

A lot of people have the idea that you have to instantly make friends during Freshers and you will stay close to them for the whole time you're at uni. I know loads of people who this isn't true for. Freshers is a great way to make friends, whether that's through your course induction or nightlife, but it isn't the only option. Societies can be joined at uni time of the year. For you specifically, I know that LJMU currently has History, Book and Taylor Swift societies. This may be a great way to meet new people with similar interests. Furthermore, you may have loads to talk about with people on your course, especially if you have group work, and this can help start conversations so you don't have that awkward stage of trying to think of things to chat about. Also in Liverpool, there are communities in the city, outside of uni, that you may be able to join, such as volunteering opportunities and walking groups. Finally, if you get a part-time job while at uni, this may be another opportunity to make new friends.

Hope this is helpful.

Sophie
LJMU Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest