The Student Room Group

PPE universities?

Hi. Currently in year 12 and i'm predicted 3 A*s (politics, English lit, mathematics) and achieved 10 grade 9s at GCSE. I'm struggling to choose which universities to apply to. Don't want any London unis, so need recommendations on other universities, in terms of reputation and teaching for ppe. So far, I've looked at Oxford but not sure which other unis to apply to - can anyone help me shortlist?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. Currently in year 12 and i'm predicted 3 A*s (politics, English lit, mathematics) and achieved 10 grade 9s at GCSE. I'm struggling to choose which universities to apply to. Don't want any London unis, so need recommendations on other universities, in terms of reputation and teaching for ppe. So far, I've looked at Oxford but not sure which other unis to apply to - can anyone help me shortlist?

Hey I’m year 13, applied for ppe and am going to LSE (fingers crossed.) Outside of London, I applied to Oxford Warwick and Manchester - these three were a recurring theme amongst all three of my other friends who applied for ppe as well. Warwick is my insurance as it has the lowest grade requirements for me, though it’s definitely got a good reputation as well. My friend who applied to no london unis (for ppe) also did York and Nottingham.
Reply 2
thanks. i was wondering if it's ok to have that many "aspirational" universities, or to choose more than one "safe" choice. well done on your offer and i hope you make it!!
Hey I’m year 13, applied for ppe and am going to LSE (fingers crossed.) Outside of London, I applied to Oxford Warwick and Manchester - these three were a recurring theme amongst all three of my other friends who applied for ppe as well. Warwick is my insurance as it has the lowest grade requirements for me, though it’s definitely got a good reputation as well. My friend who applied to no london unis (for ppe) also did York and Nottingham.
Reply 3
thanks. i was wondering if it's ok to have that many "aspirational" universities, or to choose more than one "safe" choice. well done on your offer and i hope you make it!!

Ah that’s a good point. I ended up being contextual surprisingly, so I got a reduced offer of AAB for Warwick compared to A*AA which my friends received. I think if you’re worried about grade requirements, I know someone applied to Birmingham and also applying for economics and politics instead of all three for one uni or so can also lower grade requirements too for a safer option. Like my ppe lse offer is A*AB with A* in maths, but my friend only needs AAA (AAB contextual) for politics and econ. Tysm! Hope that helped a bit?
Reply 4
thanks! yes, it has helped ty.
Ah that’s a good point. I ended up being contextual surprisingly, so I got a reduced offer of AAB for Warwick compared to A*AA which my friends received. I think if you’re worried about grade requirements, I know someone applied to Birmingham and also applying for economics and politics instead of all three for one uni or so can also lower grade requirements too for a safer option. Like my ppe lse offer is A*AB with A* in maths, but my friend only needs AAA (AAB contextual) for politics and econ. Tysm! Hope that helped a bit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending