The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Sociology Paper 3 7192/3 - 13 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

How would you answer 'evaluate the view that the positivist approach is useful in understanding society'
Could this be a possible theory and methods question ?
Original post by Astudy
How would you answer 'evaluate the view that the positivist approach is useful in understanding society'
Could this be a possible theory and methods question ?

could be a 10 marker but the 20 marker is gonna be on “consensus, conflict, structural and social action theories” which i think is just functionalism marxism feminism and social actions theories xx
Original post by s.Ellie
I don't know what sections you did, but the info did not fit. I had revised enough to answer them but the point is, they shouldn't have been the 20 markers.
They gave the additional info to help aid the focus of revision for those questions and nothing about it came up, even my teachers complained about it.

no the 20 markers both fit the advanced info. the advanced info is ONLY for big questions. marxist view of the family comes under the advanced info for family, definitions of religion come under “science, ideology and RELIGION including christian and non christian” my teacher gave us revision sheets that show you which areas come under which spec. i agree that the definitions is not rlly a good 20 marker as there isn’t enough to write though.
Original post by khushi.xo
wait lol do we have to learn that for the advanced info? im confused now.. i was told its just theories

theories is the first point of the spec, which is what was given in the advanced info so yes the 30 marker should be on theories of crime if they stick to tje AI
Original post by bumblebee03
could be a 10 marker but the 20 marker is gonna be on “consensus, conflict, structural and social action theories” which i think is just functionalism marxism feminism and social actions theories xx

Thank you! xx
Original post by Astudy
I do - they are along these lines!

4- nature of capitalism causes crime
6-gender differences in level of recorded crime
10- 2 ways media leads to an increase in crime
30- evaluate the view that differences in crime rates between ethnic groups are a result of the way the CJS operates

10- 2 perspectives for social policy in society
20-theoretical factors are the most important in a sociologists choice of research

Hope this helps!

Thanks this is so helpful.
Do u think that the 20 marker on theory is going to be on perspectives(according to the advanced info)
And could u please help with the social action bot I don’t get it. BTW anyone can respond….
Pls help🤣
no the 20 markers both fit the advanced info. the advanced info is ONLY for big questions. marxist view of the family comes under the advanced info for family, definitions of religion come under “science, ideology and RELIGION including christian and non christian” my teacher gave us revision sheets that show you which areas come under which spec. i agree that the definitions is not rlly a good 20 marker as there isn’t enough to write though.

I'm aware it's only for the big questions, that's my point. Obviously religion's going to come up in the beliefs section, but what I'm saying is the emphasis of ideology & science was misleading.

If the question was something like Evaluate the view that... 'A belief in science is a religion' or 'Science can be defined as religion', or 'Influence of Sci ideology Vs. Religious ideology' that would've made so much more sense because from what I've seen, everyone seemed to prioritise science for that beliefs section, which seemed to make sense
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by s.Ellie
I'm aware it's only for the big questions, that's my point. Obviously religion's going to come up in the beliefs section, but what I'm saying is the emphasis of ideology & science was misleading.

If the question was something like Evaluate the view that... 'A belief in science is a religion' or 'Science can be defined as religion', or 'Influence of Sci ideology Vs. Religious ideology' that would've made so much more sense because from what I've seen, everyone seemed to prioritise science for that beliefs section, which seemed to make sense

Yes i agree with you Ellie! I also had a talk with my headteacher who is also my sociology teacher and he also said that the advanced info was misleading. Defining religion may be included in that spec but the advanced info specifically highlighted science, religion and ideology. meaning that a question could come up on any of those. Defining religion may be used but the whole question was just on definitions which i believe shouldnt have happened.
Original post by s.Ellie

yeah i agree, i prioritised that too and didn’t even revise the definitions so i ****ed it up!! but i’m just saying that definitions of rel do fall under that part of the spec not other parts so they did stick to it
Can sociology as a science be the 20 mark theory?
Original post by Alayna12

no because thats one of the debates and its a different part of the spec.

No but it could be the 10 marker
Original post by Charlotte.xx
No but it could be the 10 marker

But it’s linked to positivism/Interpretivism. So surely it could be linked to that.
Original post by khushi.xo
no because thats one of the debates and its a different part of the spec.
yeah i agree, i prioritised that too and didn’t even revise the definitions so i ****ed it up!! but i’m just saying that definitions of rel do fall under that part of the spec not other parts so they did stick to it

I don’t either cause I was using the definitions as my points but was linking to perspectives as well
But it’s linked to positivism/Interpretivism. So surely it could be linked to that.

Positivism and interpretivism is again another part of the specification

It comes under theory as objectivity and values in society ?

positivism and interpretivism isn't a big part of objectivity and values, it was just referenced.

positivism and interpretivism actually is a part of theory and methods and it comes under sociology and science.
So positivism and interpretivism could be a 10 marker as it is a part of theory and it could be linked to methods as well since there's a 50% chance that methods could also come up again

Our advanced info in this ‘consensus, conflict, structural and social action theories’

These are not our advanced info so how can positivism and values and objectivity be the 20 marker? These could be the 10 marker but the advanced info specifically states conflict, consensus, structural and social action

the relationship between positivism, interpretivism and sociological methods; the nature of ‘social facts’

the concepts of modernity and post-modernity in relation to sociological theory

the nature of science and the extent to which Sociology can be regarded as scientific

the relationship between theory and methods
debates about subjectivity, objectivity and value freedom

the relationship between Sociology and social policy.
Which point of the spec does labelling theory and mental illness fit into?
Original post by s.Ellie
Which point of the spec does labelling theory and mental illness fit into?

Falls into the perspective part as its a perspective. Idk about mental illness tho sorry x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending