The Student Room Group

A-level Sociology Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the A-level Sociology Study Group! :woo:

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications:

AQA - Sociology 7192

OCR- Sociology H580

WJEC - Sociology

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
hey guys I am struggling with the theory and methods side of sociology, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do??
Original post by sim.sim1234567
hey guys I am struggling with the theory and methods side of sociology, does anyone have any recommendations on what to do??

I would love to be a help, but we haven't even started theory and methods yet... There's so much content! I'm really worried we won't finish the course in time. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by ladymacbeth182
I would love to be a help, but we haven't even started theory and methods yet... There's so much content! I'm really worried we won't finish the course in time. :frown:

same fear, so much content so little time might have to get ahead on my own :/
ive gotten ahead, I've finished theory and methods I just dont understand it because idk why I can't seem to get my head around the idea of if sociology is a science, if its value free etc
I really recommend using esher sociology on YouTube! also talk to people in your class about certain topics and discuss them, it really helps you remember it and learn information that you may not already have :smile:
hi I finished it in 1 month so don't worry!

ive gotten ahead, I've finished theory and methods I just dont understand it because idk why I can't seem to get my head around the idea of if sociology is a science, if its value free etc

positivists would argue that sociology is a form of science as they look to establish general laws governing social phenomena just like the natural sciences do - bio teaches the circulatory system the same way to everyone (it's basis cant be changed) and interpretvists would state that sociology cant be a science and we need to see society and individuals in a holistic way then a reductionist way, everyone is unique in their own subjective experience and we cant create laws that take that individuality away from them - hope this helped a bit :smile:
Reply 9

What areas in Theory and/or Methods are you struggling with? With theory, I created comprehensive mindmaps of everything relating to each theory (and science/policy) so it was all in one area. I also converted every key term/name onto Quizlet/Anki as flashcards for revision. I think it's key to do this immediately after lessons as content will still be fresh in your brain
Original post by Zainyy7
What areas in Theory and/or Methods are you struggling with? With theory, I created comprehensive mindmaps of everything relating to each theory (and science/policy) so it was all in one area. I also converted every key term/name onto Quizlet/Anki as flashcards for revision. I think it's key to do this immediately after lessons as content will still be fresh in your brain

im struggling with globalisation, post modernity and late modernity etc and objectivity and value free and if it can be a science
AQA

Education, crime theory and most of theory/methods

Paper 2 I think because we learnt it a bit split up

lotsssss of practice questions

my fave/best subject :smile:
Hi guys, I'm struggling a lot with beliefs in society for paper 2 topics in sociology, if anyone has any tips please let me know!
Hey everyone!

How are you all finding your sociology revision is going? Has anyone found any useful tips or resources? Anyone struggling with anything?

A Level Sociology Study Group

i'm struggling with media
Original post by Pwca
Hey everyone!

How are you all finding your sociology revision is going? Has anyone found any useful tips or resources? Anyone struggling with anything?

Original post by Evil Homer

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your A-level exams this summer

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for! :smile:

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule :naughty:

Specifications:

AQA - Sociology 7192

OCR- Sociology H580

WJEC - Sociology

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yes:

Does anyone have any ideas on potential work experience for sociology. I can only really see volunteering as an option but I'm wondering if there are any other potential work experience opportunities.
Original post by Pwca
Hey everyone!

I have no teacher for sociology 💔 and I have to teach myself the whole a level

I am really struggling with theories, beliefs and crime. Does anyone have any tips at ALL!!
my offer is really high, I need an A - I am desperately for any help
Hii, I am currently an A-Level sociology student and am on an A* and am willing to help!!!

Original post by Bella.3

I am really struggling with theories, beliefs and crime. Does anyone have any tips at ALL!!
Original post by Bella.3

I'm doing A-Level Sociology by myself too! I'm doing Sociology for one year however I do Media instead of beliefs. Although it's a stressful situation, its nice to hear someone is in the similar position to me- I need an A/B

Literally struggling as well because I have no one to really mark my essays to see areas of improvement. It one way to remember the content but another way to actually apply it properly 🥲
Original post by Evil Homer

Specifications:

AQA - Sociology 7192

OCR- Sociology H580

WJEC - Sociology

AQA - confident in education and family. struggling with beliefs in society a little

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending