The Student Room Group

zero gravity- a bit of a rant lol

So I'd heard nothing but great things, but they rejected me- I asked for feedback as to why and they just sent me the eligibility criteria without explanation (which I met all of). They sent me another email telling me that I had been accepted onto the programme but then followed it with another saying that the first email was an accident.

My problem is if you are in the middle/ working class, it is hard to get into oxbridge, you aren't rich enough to be able to afford any summer schools and you have no connections, but as soon as you apply to any scheme they reject you without explaining why. I live in a rich area, but that doesn't make me rich

Idk i'm just ranting a bit but yeah I just feel like it's actually impossible to get into oxford because I have no idea what I'm doing
Original post by JessD3333
So I'd heard nothing but great things, but they rejected me- I asked for feedback as to why and they just sent me the eligibility criteria without explanation (which I met all of). They sent me another email telling me that I had been accepted onto the programme but then followed it with another saying that the first email was an accident.

My problem is if you are in the middle/ working class, it is hard to get into oxbridge, you aren't rich enough to be able to afford any summer schools and you have no connections, but as soon as you apply to any scheme they reject you without explaining why. I live in a rich area, but that doesn't make me rich

Idk i'm just ranting a bit but yeah I just feel like it's actually impossible to get into oxford because I have no idea what I'm doing

Then don't try. Life isn't about Oxford and it isn't about Cambridge. It is all about your passions and interests. Many students want to get into oxbridge because of 'prestige' and that's understandable, but if that's the only reason you're applying to these places then maybe it's time to rethink your life choices. Also, just because you get into Oxford or Cambridge, the hard work doesn't end there, you still need to do well at university and end up getting a good degree classification. If you get a 3rd from Oxford, then that is just as useless as a 3rd from London Met. The point is that it requires a lot of talent and hard work to do well at any university and places like Oxford only select the best of the best talent, but just because you get in to one of these places, your journey doesn't stop there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by username5950993
Then don't try. Life isn't about Oxford and it isn't about Cambridge. It is all about your passions and interests. Many students want to get into oxbridge because of 'prestige' and that's understandable, but if that's the only reason you're applying to these places then maybe it's time to rethink your life choices. Also, just because you get into Oxford or Cambridge, the hard work doesn't end there, you still need to do well at university and end up getting a good degree classification. If you get a 3rd from Oxford, then that is just as useless as a 3rd from London Met. The point is that it requires a lot of talent and hard work to do well at any university and places like Oxford only select the best of the best talent, but just because you get in to one of these places, your journey doesn't stop there.

trust me, I want to go becuase I want to study there not just because of the prestige, I'm aware that I would need to work hard I just feel like it's become less merit based and more based on your income/ background in the past few years
Original post by Jesstudies
trust me, I want to go becuase I want to study there not just because of the prestige, I'm aware that I would need to work hard I just feel like it's become less merit based and more based on your income/ background in the past few years

Heya, I know this is an old thread but if you ever need help applying let me know - I know it can be difficult!! I am an offer holder for law at Oxford this year and I went to an underperforming state school (almost the worst in my county) and was the first in my family to apply to uni. You can do it, you can give yourself the best chances to get in. I related to your post quite a lot - I didn't apply to zero gravity because I only have 5 x 8/9s, not the required 7. Whilst I understand the standard must be high, for someone like me (and I presume possibly yourself) who went to a school where the grade 4 attainment rate is drastically below average, it seems like the scheme neglects those right at the very bottom of the academic opportunity barrel, for whom achieving even just a couple 8/9s is usually reflective of self-teaching. My school were reluctant to let anyone do more than 6 GCSEs due to entry costs, regardless of ability. I feel that the scheme would be much better if it required and entry test or essay, or they scaled your GCSE attainment to your overall school attainment.
Original post by _Kestrel_
Heya, I know this is an old thread but if you ever need help applying let me know - I know it can be difficult!! I am an offer holder for law at Oxford this year and I went to an underperforming state school (almost the worst in my county) and was the first in my family to apply to uni. You can do it, you can give yourself the best chances to get in. I related to your post quite a lot - I didn't apply to zero gravity because I only have 5 x 8/9s, not the required 7. Whilst I understand the standard must be high, for someone like me (and I presume possibly yourself) who went to a school where the grade 4 attainment rate is drastically below average, it seems like the scheme neglects those right at the very bottom of the academic opportunity barrel, for whom achieving even just a couple 8/9s is usually reflective of self-teaching. My school were reluctant to let anyone do more than 6 GCSEs due to entry costs, regardless of ability. I feel that the scheme would be much better if it required and entry test or essay, or they scaled your GCSE attainment to your overall school attainment.

How did your offer go? I was predicted AAA, got A*A*A, and now wishing my teachers didn't underestimate me otherwise I'd possibly be going to a better school for law... Oh well - my school isn't built for those willing to go for more elite unis.

But yeah, if you got in, you are living my dream
Reply 5
Over half of Oxford admissions are state school entrants. It's the best now for getting in from a working-class background than it has ever been. The Colleges are working incredibly hard to address disparities like this, it objectively ahs not 'got worse in the past few years'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending