The Student Room Group

Oxford Biochemistry / Biology

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by H3CKT0R
So I'm thinking about applying to oxbridge this october and I was just wondering if I have a chance with the current qualifications I currently have. (applying for biochemistry/biology)

I completed 6 months of virtual online work experience about health and the NHS.
I completed a Nuffield research placement in a university doing a chemistry project for 2 weeks. Applied for a gold CREST award which I think i'll get.
Did DOFE bronze
Did an online cancer course run by bath uni and then did my research project on cancer. I'm also reading some biology books at the moment.
I did my as level exams this year in year 12 and predicted all As which i'm confident about.
The one issue is my GCSE' since I got 4 A* 6 As and 2 Bs which isn't what I expected.. Mainly because exams didn't go ahead.

A level predictions? Do you mean Oxford as you say Oxbridge ... [D of E is irrelevant btw]
Original post by H3CKT0R
So I'm thinking about applying to oxbridge this october and I was just wondering if I have a chance with the current qualifications I currently have. (applying for biochemistry/biology)

I completed 6 months of virtual online work experience about health and the NHS.
I completed a Nuffield research placement in a university doing a chemistry project for 2 weeks. Applied for a gold CREST award which I think i'll get.
Did DOFE bronze
Did an online cancer course run by bath uni and then did my research project on cancer. I'm also reading some biology books at the moment.
I did my as level exams this year in year 12 and predicted all As which i'm confident about.
The one issue is my GCSE' since I got 4 A* 6 As and 2 Bs which isn't what I expected.. Mainly because exams didn't go ahead.

Imma be honest. Your a levels and GCSEs are kinda mid tbh and your extracurriculars and supercurricals are nothing special. I’d say you stand a low chance and if you want proof go online and look up on whatdotheyknow the average a level results for accepted candidiases. With triple A it’s not a possibility tbh.
Original post by H3CKT0R
I'm not sure about the end of a level predictions. I was only told as level because in Wales we do as level exams in year 12. But i'm assuming if i get all As this year then next year i'll be predicted the same or higher. And yes, oxford I meant sorry.

You need to know your A level predictions to be sure you'll not be rejected immediately.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/biology

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/biochemistry-molecular-and-cellular

Have your teachers spoken to you about maing an application to Oxford? Usually suitable students are approached in Year 12 as the deadline is early.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
You need to know your A level predictions to be sure you'll not be rejected immediately.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/biology

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/biochemistry-molecular-and-cellular

Have your teachers spoken to you about maing an application to Oxford? Usually suitable students are approached in Year 12 as the deadline is early.

Yes, I am having mentoring from a website called Zero gravity who are helping me write a personal statement and maybe mock interviews.
Original post by H3CKT0R
Yes, I am having mentoring from a website called Zero gravity who are helping me write a personal statement and maybe mock interviews.

Your PS should be your work not someone else's - why are you not being supported by your school?
Original post by H3CKT0R
It is my work. If I have questions I'll have the option to ask my Zero gravity mentor who is already a student at a competitive uni who can give advice. My school isn't very good with helping students reach competitive unis and there are a lot of pupils.

Nearly all our 180 Year 13 students will go to uni and we help every one of them.
Reply 7
Nearly all our 180 Year 13 students will go to uni and we help every one of them.

I guess my school just isn't that good
Original post by H3CKT0R
What about the university of bath. That's probably my most desired option. Is that more realistic.

I'd wait until you get your predicted grades then you'll be clearer whether Oxford is an option. If your predictions aren't as in the links above it's probably a wasted choice with no entrance test to boost your application.

you must work at a good school - my school was exactly the same as op's, very little support in writing personal statements (our exams officer glanced over mine for about thirty seconds on the day we sent it off even though i'd sent it to him a week and a half prior) and one mock interview that lasted about ten minutes with a religious studies teacher when i was applying for hispol. in fact my careers advisor actually discouraged me from applying to oxford and there was certainly no one "approaching" us to suggest oxbridge as a possibility
Original post by franklyfruity
you must work at a good school - my school was exactly the same as op's, very little support in writing personal statements (our exams officer glanced over mine for about thirty seconds on the day we sent it off even though i'd sent it to him a week and a half prior) and one mock interview that lasted about ten minutes with a religious studies teacher when i was applying for hispol. in fact my careers advisor actually discouraged me from applying to oxford and there was certainly no one "approaching" us to suggest oxbridge as a possibility

It's a selective state school but I have worked in a comp and that was the same.
Original post by H3CKT0R

Did DOFE bronze

i actually think these supercurriculars are quite impressive - people have certainly got into oxbridge with less. that said, GCSEs (or equivalent) do play quite a big part in the admissions process, but bear in mind that they are placed in context with your school's average i believe. i don't seem the harm in applying tbh, you may surprise yourself with how well you do! at the end of the day oxbridge recognise that exams aren't everything (although they are important) - the thing they look for the most is a true passion and aptitude for your subject. unfortunately not having an entrance exam or any written work does put more weight on your GCSEs but if you do get through to the interview stage then you have the chance to really shine and demonstrate why you'd be the perfect candidate.
Original post by H3CKT0R
Thank you! Just curious, were you successful when you applied for oxbridge? - if you did apply that is

i was! i applied for history and politics, got an offer back in january, and i will find out tomorrow if i have met the conditions! don’t let anyone stop you if that’s your dream :smile:
Heyyy,
I've been (albeit suprisingly) accepted for biology this year so if you have questions about the process, ps content, interviews whatevverr..feel free to ask!
Original post by H3CKT0R
Hey congratulations! Just wondering, what were your gcse grades?

Thanks
I got:
Grade 9 x3
Grade 8 x4
Grade 7 x2
Grade 6 x1 (maths..could never hack it hah)
Grade 5 (it was further maths sooooo)
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bookworm_88
Heyyy,
I've been (albeit suprisingly) accepted for biology this year so if you have questions about the process, ps content, interviews whatevverr..feel free to ask!

Congrats thats amazing!! I'm planning on applying for biology at oxford too so i was just wondering what sort of stuff did u write about in ur personal statement?
Reply 16
Original post by Bookworm_88
Heyyy,

Hi, I hope you're doing well and congrats!! Sorry to bother you over a year after this was written lol but I am really hoping to apply for biology at Oxford next year (I am currently in Y12) and I was just wondering what are your best pieces of advice for applying? I do go to a private school which for some reason is frowned upon for Oxbridge lately however I am a child of two immigrants who worked hard to put me in my school and I want to go to Oxford for myself and also them. I got a 9 in biology, 3x8's, 5x7's and a 6 in english lit (it was just not my thing omg) and I take maths, further maths, comp sci and biology alevel. Also, what was the interview process like and what sort of things did you get asked? Congrats again and any help, opinions on my chances and stats and inside info would be amazing 🙂
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by s2000000
Hi, I hope you're doing well and congrats!! Sorry to bother you over a year after this was written lol but I am really hoping to apply for biology at Oxford next year (I am currently in Y12) and I was just wondering what are your best pieces of advice for applying? I do go to a private school which for some reason is frowned upon for Oxbridge lately however I am a child of two immigrants who worked hard to put me in my school and I want to go to Oxford for myself and also them. I got a 9 in biology, 3x8's, 5x7's and a 6 in english lit (it was just not my thing omg) and I take maths, further maths, comp sci and biology alevel. Also, what was the interview process like and what sort of things did you get asked? Congrats again and any help, opinions on my chances and stats and inside info would be amazing 🙂

hey lol randomly went on here it's been like a yearrr since I've used this thing, in case you're still thinking of applying:

your best pieces of advice for applying?
I would say as long as you've got the grades (they don't have to be like 3A* at alevel and all 9s at gcses, tho ofc that doesn't harm your application lol, but all applications are contextualised in terms of your sch etc) and you've got a passion (i.e nerdiness) for biology and can have an hours worth of discussion about bio (interviews lol) then go for it! I really do recommend people apply otherwise you just don't know!

I do go to a private school which for some reason is frowned upon for Oxbridge lately
Well everyone knows the oxbridge stereotype hahaha, but ik like my best friend is from a private sch and she's like on the nicest people ik (often too nice) but yeh it's very much entrenched, we'll hardly shake off that stereotype of rich upper class white guy tho off haha but please don't let that demoralise you at all, this is how the outreach team at my college put it - everyone who deserves to get in, will get an offer

I got a 9 in biology, 3x8's, 5x7's and a 6 in english lit (it was just not my thing omg)
Honestly I don't see anything wrong with those grades, sure there's like uber smart people in ox, but these grades are defo still sooo good (i can relate to you with english lit, for me it was maths, thank goodness for covid in my case)

Also, what was the interview process like and what sort of things did you get asked?
Interview is generally at 2 colleges, one you applied to, and a random one to make it fair in case you screw one interview up and they'll ask tough questions but pleaseee don't give up and say idk just think of something, they're tough on purpose but the concepts they're exploring are grounded in general biological principles, there's a mix of graph analysis, experimental/research stuff (like asking questions such as how would you go about research x,y,z) and they always tend to like showing a photo of some animal or plant or microbe and asking general questions like from the photo where do you think it lives, how do you think it's adapted etc. at the start of the interview after the optional ps question.

I'm not going to comment on your chances or anything cuz honestly i have no idea whatsoever, only the mystical admissions people know the exact criteria that they use and what the tutors specifically look out for in applicants but I hope that helps. Ik there's lots of bio PS and super curricular related stuff like books on the internet for inspo to become a mega bio nerd if you commit to biology for your degree. Also check out zero gravity if you're eligible super helpful! Hope that helps and good luck with 6th form!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending