The Student Room Group

medic mentor summer school

hi everyone! just wondering whether anyones going to the medic mentor summer school in london on the 9-13th? if so reply we can be friends :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
people actually shell out three grand for these summer schools?

edit: not trying to be contentious, just actually surprised
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gingur

its one of the cheaper options surprisingly! plus it comes with a lot of support for medical school applications outside of the summer school like in person interview practise days, access to all of their other programmes and an interview for a scholarship for med school. you also get your personal statement done in a couple of days and ucat revision with successful applicants and doctors!
Reply 3
Original post by issykendrick
its one of the cheaper options surprisingly! plus it comes with a lot of support for medical school applications outside of the summer school like in person interview practise days, access to all of their other programmes and an interview for a scholarship for med school. you also get your personal statement done in a couple of days and ucat revision with successful applicants and doctors!

yeah but c'mon, I struggle to see how that's worth 3 grand?
Original post by gingur

i had 2 friends go and only one got into med school, the other had a very low ucat (2400 ish) despite attending the ucat prep every morning so not sure it is worth the 3 grand as i spent less £100 on medify subscription for 2 months to get 2840 but i think it's part of how much you want it and engage with it. some people do see it as a free pass in which it isn't. i do wish i had had the extra interview prep tho (just to practice an MMI circuit) but that's the only bit i think is worth it, the rest is available for free on here and other places if you're willing to look and work for it but obvs the OP has already paid so not our business
Original post by gingur

okay that’s fine you can check their website and reviews for yourself if you want to. i’ve done a lot of research into it and i think it’ll be very helpful for my application. my parents are comparing it to my friends getting cars for their birthdays (which are arguably more expensive), my braces would have cost that much if i hadn’t got them free. it’s a lot of money but i think i’ll get a lot out of it.
okay that’s fine you can check their website and reviews for yourself if you want to. i’ve done a lot of research into it and i think it’ll be very helpful for my application. my parents are comparing it to my friends getting cars for their birthdays (which are arguably more expensive), my braces would have cost that much if i hadn’t got them free. it’s a lot of money but i think i’ll get a lot out of it.

I have no problem with your decision it really doesn't affect any of us, if you're worried about friends at the summer school, you'll get added to a massive slack group chat and will meet loads of people over residential so there's no hurry to meet people yet. I'm sure you'd get a better response from asking on the slack group chat then here where people (rightfully in my eyes) discourage paying for anything to help your application. I did it completely for free ish (ucat and bmat subscription but nothing else) and got an offer which is all you need but I wish you the best of luck with your application. do come back and let us know what you think of the summer school once you have all of your unis respond to you :smile: I'd be interested to hear your honest opinion and review
Original post by AliceKS
I have no problem with your decision it really doesn't affect any of us, if you're worried about friends at the summer school, you'll get added to a massive slack group chat and will meet loads of people over residential so there's no hurry to meet people yet. I'm sure you'd get a better response from asking on the slack group chat then here where people (rightfully in my eyes) discourage paying for anything to help your application. I did it completely for free ish (ucat and bmat subscription but nothing else) and got an offer which is all you need but I wish you the best of luck with your application. do come back and let us know what you think of the summer school once you have all of your unis respond to you :smile: I'd be interested to hear your honest opinion and review

will do! i totally agree with the paying bit, i wouldnt be paying for anything but the ucat subscription if it werent for the summer school anyways. i just think it would be a really exciting experience for me to get more help with my application, interviews etc and to meet some new people, ive missed out on all of my school trips and holidays for the last two years cause of covid so it will be nice to get away for a week too.
Heyy, no sorry i'm doing 2nd-6th august :/
Original post by gingur

I was funded for the summer schoool. So free i guess lol
hi everyone! just wondering whether anyones going to the medic mentor summer school in london on the 9-13th? if so reply we can be friends :smile:

Only just saw this oops. I'm going! Looking forward to seeing you :smile:
Original post by chaeliwol
Only just saw this oops. I'm going! Looking forward to seeing you :smile:

im on the 9-13 as well. See you around.
will do! i totally agree with the paying bit, i wouldnt be paying for anything but the ucat subscription if it werent for the summer school anyways. i just think it would be a really exciting experience for me to get more help with my application, interviews etc and to meet some new people, ive missed out on all of my school trips and holidays for the last two years cause of covid so it will be nice to get away for a week too.

Hey did you completed summer school at medic mentor .. how is the experience? Is it worth spending that money ? Does it help you reaching ur goal ?
Original post by Rafael369
Hey did you completed summer school at medic mentor .. how is the experience? Is it worth spending that money ? Does it help you reaching ur goal ?

hey, so all of us in this thread didn't pay for it as we are WAMS students. We can't speak yet in terms of how helpful it is as we haven't applied and we can update you in a few months IF we start getting offers. But so far, it has been very useful : )
Hopefully u would have written UCAT by now .. with respect to UCAT result does medic mentor summer school helped ?
Original post by MedApplicantttt
hey, so all of us in this thread didn't pay for it as we are WAMS students. We can't speak yet in terms of how helpful it is as we haven't applied and we can update you in a few months IF we start getting offers. But so far, it has been very useful : )
Original post by Rafael369
Hopefully u would have written UCAT by now .. with respect to UCAT result does medic mentor summer school helped ?

personally, yes it did help me as you could access 1-1 tutoring at any time and whenever you wanted with a medical student and they could really give you that support : )
When you mean 1-1 tutoring anytime, do you mean during the 5 day period of the course, or can you ask them for 1-1 tutoring anytime after the 5 days? Also, do you think the summer school was helpful? Did you get sufficient help to do your personal statement and did you get to finish it there? Also, was the UCAT and BMAT training worth it, did it help a lot? I will really appreciate your answer as I am considering going to summer school in 2023!
Thanks!
personally, yes it did help me as you could access 1-1 tutoring at any time and whenever you wanted with a medical student and they could really give you that support : )

could you please explain how they managed to get into the program for free?
I’m pretty sure it’s for people who have low income
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jerrysone
I’m pretty sure it’s for people who have low income

yep so you need to meet one from the criteria below : )
Quintile 1 or 2 postcodes/POLAR 4 Postcodes will be confirmed via the following postcode checker Search by postcode Office for Students
First Generation to University Families
Students in receipt of Free School Meals Evidenced by school confirmation
Students eligible for Pupil Premium/Pupil Equity Fund Evidenced by school confirmation
Students in receipt of either 16-19 bursary or UCAT bursary Evidence by school confirmation
Students with experience of being in care/looked after children Evidenced by local Social Services
Students who have had a parent/s serve within the British Military Services at any point before the students 25th Birthday
Students estranged from their families
Students in receipt of Means Tested Benefits Universal credit for Job Seekers, Universal Credit for Working Families, Universal Credit for Income Support, Personal Independence Payment, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Council Tax and Housing Benefit Evidenced by letter from DWP confirming receipt of named benefits within a three month period
Students with Refugee/Asylum Seeker Status evidenced via Home Office Correspondence

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending