The Student Room Group

medic mentor summer school

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedApplicantttt
yep so you need to meet one from the criteria below : )
Quintile 1 or 2 postcodes/POLAR 4 Postcodes will be confirmed via the following postcode checker Search by postcode Office for Students
First Generation to University Families
Students in receipt of Free School Meals Evidenced by school confirmation
Students eligible for Pupil Premium/Pupil Equity Fund Evidenced by school confirmation
Students in receipt of either 16-19 bursary or UCAT bursary Evidence by school confirmation
Students with experience of being in care/looked after children Evidenced by local Social Services
Students who have had a parent/s serve within the British Military Services at any point before the students 25th Birthday
Students estranged from their families
Students in receipt of Means Tested Benefits Universal credit for Job Seekers, Universal Credit for Working Families, Universal Credit for Income Support, Personal Independence Payment, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Council Tax and Housing Benefit Evidenced by letter from DWP confirming receipt of named benefits within a three month period
Students with Refugee/Asylum Seeker Status evidenced via Home Office Correspondence

Hey could you please help answer my question? When you mean 1-1 tutoring anytime, do you mean during the 5-day period of the course, or can you ask them for 1-1 tutoring anytime after the 5 days? Also, do you think the summer school was helpful? Did you get sufficient help to do your personal statement and did you get to finish it there? Also, was the UCAT and BMAT training worth it, did it help a lot? I will really appreciate your answer as I am considering going to summer school in 2023!

Thanks!
Original post by Jerrysone
Hey could you please help answer my question? When you mean 1-1 tutoring anytime, do you mean during the 5-day period of the course, or can you ask them for 1-1 tutoring anytime after the 5 days? Also, do you think the summer school was helpful? Did you get sufficient help to do your personal statement and did you get to finish it there? Also, was the UCAT and BMAT training worth it, did it help a lot? I will really appreciate your answer as I am considering going to summer school in 2023!

Thanks!

So it's 1-1 tutoring after the 5 day summer school during ucat period (you could access 1-1 from the 25th july to 6th september).
Also you have access to bmat 1-1 tutoring (from 6th september to 16th october)
And then interview 1-1 tutoring as well as 2 live in person mock interviews during interview season.
Personally, I would say it is worth it and would defo do it again. Also if you do not get in after paying for the summer school, they will happily allow you to come again for free in your gap year and access all the services again for free!
I'd suggest talking to other people on this thread to see what their thoughts are!
yep so you need to meet one from the criteria below : )
Quintile 1 or 2 postcodes/POLAR 4 Postcodes will be confirmed via the following postcode checker Search by postcode Office for Students
First Generation to University Families
Students in receipt of Free School Meals Evidenced by school confirmation
Students eligible for Pupil Premium/Pupil Equity Fund Evidenced by school confirmation
Students in receipt of either 16-19 bursary or UCAT bursary Evidence by school confirmation
Students with experience of being in care/looked after children Evidenced by local Social Services
Students who have had a parent/s serve within the British Military Services at any point before the students 25th Birthday
Students estranged from their families
Students in receipt of Means Tested Benefits Universal credit for Job Seekers, Universal Credit for Working Families, Universal Credit for Income Support, Personal Independence Payment, Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, Council Tax and Housing Benefit Evidenced by letter from DWP confirming receipt of named benefits within a three month period
Students with Refugee/Asylum Seeker Status evidenced via Home Office Correspondence

where can i apply?
Original post by Rafael369
Hopefully u would have written UCAT by now .. with respect to UCAT result does medic mentor summer school helped ?

If I am going to be honest, I don't think the UCAT teaching really helped since I got a low ucat despite the 'mentoring' and they were very reluctant to give 1 to 1s and even then they just helped me to organise what topics I should prioritise. It may have been useful for some people but I didn't think it really helped. I got into the summer school from WAMS as well so if you can get a fully funded place then it is worth it but I don't recommend spending nearly 3 grand on a service which in my opinion has only really helped with my ps so far x
Original post by 1234512
where can i apply?

on the medic mentor website, you should note the deadline x
Original post by Idk131
If I am going to be honest, I don't think the UCAT teaching really helped since I got a low ucat despite the 'mentoring' and they were very reluctant to give 1 to 1s and even then they just helped me to organise what topics I should prioritise. It may have been useful for some people but I didn't think it really helped. I got into the summer school from WAMS as well so if you can get a fully funded place then it is worth it but I don't recommend spending nearly 3 grand on a service which in my opinion has only really helped with my ps so far x

yh ofc, its totally not worth the money but it is if you get it for free :smile:
Also, have you been given details about interview training?
yh ofc, its totally not worth the money but it is if you get it for free :smile:
Also, have you been given details about interview training?

Yup so glad it was freee

Nope no details on interviews, I think we will be told after the 15th
Original post by Idk131
Yup so glad it was freee

Nope no details on interviews, I think we will be told after the 15th

Thanks for your feedback
Original post by Idk131
Original post by Rafael369
Thanks for your feedback

No problem! If you have any qs feel free to ask :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by gingur
people actually shell out three grand for these summer schools?

edit: not trying to be contentious, just actually surprised
I would do it again too - I got 3 offers when I attended 2 years ago. Practically everyone in my SS class got offers. So yeah, worth it considering the competition and I had no clue back then! haha
Hi I know this is an old thread but was wondering if the people who did the summer school a few years ago are at Uni now? My daughter's desperate to do this course but the Scottish one is fully booked so would need to be London. Thanks.
Original post by Gemna76
Hi I know this is an old thread but was wondering if the people who did the summer school a few years ago are at Uni now? My daughter's desperate to do this course but the Scottish one is fully booked so would need to be London. Thanks.

Hi I did the Summer School last year and I didn't get in that year for medicine but I took a gap year and reapplied and took a 10 week interview course with Medology instead and will be studying medicine this september! The Summer school doesn't guarantee that you will do well in the ucat and get into medicine but it did provide good preparation for interviews through their mock interviews. I got the summer school for free due to widening participation and it was good but definately not worth the 3 grand that it costs.
Original post by Gemna76

Well yeah - I am uni with some of them now - presumably if people received offers they would be at med school now. A lot of them keep in touch too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending