The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Why in the 1st place?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Robro
Hi there, I was wondering if any St Andrews Medics knew anything about transferring to Cambridge for placements after 3 years at St Andrews (for Medicine). Does such a thing exist and is it really competitive?

I believe it’s only the top student @TCL@Cuckoo@medic2026 might be able to confirm?

I don’t really see the attraction tho as you leave all of your friends behind
Original post by _Rusty_
I believe it’s only the top student @TCL@Cuckoo@medic2026 might be able to confirm?

I don’t really see the attraction tho as you leave all of your friends behind

Hi, most people stay with the partner school they are allocated in second year by St Andrews but independent applications are possible and doable but there are different procedures in place for this and the university does not usually offer support for such applications. Cambridge I believe would require top marks (17+) plus other application requirements that is if they are willing to accept applicants for clinical years as this can change year on year and can be highly competitive. I am not an independent applicant so cannot unfortunately offer more insight than this.
I can confirm, Cambridge does take St Andrews students on transfer after year 3, usually 1 a year and it is not guaranteed they will even take anyone. You have to make an independent application. In the years I was there they took one person a year.

People have gone all over but it does take effort. I know people who have gone to KCL, UCL, Cambridge and others who have gone home to Singapore/Canadian medical schools.
(edited 1 year ago)
Given that both Oxford and Cambridge have now put into a place a system whereby all admitted pre-clinical students are admitted to the clinical school, and doing away with the Oxbridge/London transfer scheme, this would be an extremely rare occurrence now outside of the partner Scottish schools, Manchester and Bart’s.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Given that both Oxford and Cambridge have now put into a place a system whereby all admitted pre-clinical students are admitted to the clinical school, and doing away with the Oxbridge/London transfer scheme, this would be an extremely rare occurrence now outside of the partner Scottish schools, Manchester and Bart’s.

I believe this doesn't happen any more. I am not sure but when we applied to partner schools we were not told about this. Tbh, all the partner schools are great, so Cambs not being an option is most definitely not the end of the world

Latest

Trending

Trending