The Student Room Group

What is a biomedical science placement year like?

Hi, I just finished my first year of university and it was great. I think I did well and tried my best to not leave everything to last minute which I am happy about.

I am worried if I don’t get a placement as I want to become a biomedical scientist and I know without the placement, I can’t do that. I am overthinking and stressed because I know it will be so competitive. Not only that, I feel as though I have a lot to lose. I had to not go to uni because of mental health issues and dealing with self doubt. My parents are old too and in my culture I have to look after them. And their health isn’t great. From what I have read during the placement year I will not be paid, which sucks but I know doing the portfolio is worth it. I already feel bad that I couldn’t go for uni for 2 years… if I am not successful I would be so depressed. I guess I need some reassurance.

How many hours a week is the placement?
How long does it take to do a portfolio?
Is it possible to work part time whilst completing the portfolio?
What can I do to ensure I get a placement? I have retail experience…
Some advice that you wish you had before starting placement year?
At what point in the year can I start applying for placements? I will be starting 2nd year in September.

I constantly question my self if I have made the right decision since portfolio thing really bothers me. I don’t even know if I like the degree anymore although that is probably the depression. I plan to see my GP about my issues before I start the second year. Any advice you can give me would great. Thank you!!
Biomed here with friends who have done a placement year, but I haven't personally (just replying to bump up the post). Someone who has done the placement themselves will be able to give you a better answer, but my friend has been in the lab 4 days a week with one study day to work on her portfolio. After a few months I think she also started working as bank staff to help with the money and experience, but obviously that is extra work outside of placement hours.
At our uni they said the application process was competitive, but that was in relation to the placement organised by the uni themselves - you can go out and organise your own placement, which is good if your uni hospital trust isn't the same as the one closest to your family home. Ultimately if you have a good academic record and application, you should be considered for an interview. Then it's about interview skills and demonstrating your passion. Try not to stress too much about it right now, it won't help you in your application.
One thing about applying for the placement though is you need to be pretty sure being a biomedical scientist is for you, for both your interest and for those who missed out on the opportunity. It might be worth looking into other career options for biomed degrees over the summer, (I found this page really useful https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences ) in addition to doing some kind of work or internship to boost your CV for after uni. You have loads of options for after graduation, so don't feel limited to working in path labs, but if that's what you want to do, then that's awesome!
Best of luck :smile:
Original post by nousernameplease
Biomed here with friends who have done a placement year, but I haven't personally (just replying to bump up the post). Someone who has done the placement themselves will be able to give you a better answer, but my friend has been in the lab 4 days a week with one study day to work on her portfolio. After a few months I think she also started working as bank staff to help with the money and experience, but obviously that is extra work outside of placement hours.
At our uni they said the application process was competitive, but that was in relation to the placement organised by the uni themselves - you can go out and organise your own placement, which is good if your uni hospital trust isn't the same as the one closest to your family home. Ultimately if you have a good academic record and application, you should be considered for an interview. Then it's about interview skills and demonstrating your passion. Try not to stress too much about it right now, it won't help you in your application.
One thing about applying for the placement though is you need to be pretty sure being a biomedical scientist is for you, for both your interest and for those who missed out on the opportunity. It might be worth looking into other career options for biomed degrees over the summer, (I found this page really useful https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/biomedical-sciences ) in addition to doing some kind of work or internship to boost your CV for after uni. You have loads of options for after graduation, so don't feel limited to working in path labs, but if that's what you want to do, then that's awesome!
Best of luck :smile:

Hi!!
thank you so much for replying. I had no idea you can work as bank staff whilst doing the portfolio, that’s helpful. That’s a good idea I’ll try to contact them now if they can offer placement in the future. I do have a hospital near my house. I have done well for uni, But I don’t know if they take into consideration a level grades which were CCC in biology, chemistry and psychology :frown:. That might get in the way…. “One thing about applying for the placement though is you need to be pretty sure being a biomedical scientist is for you” this is so true. I do like being a lab and I enjoy it. I have looked on google and most the jobs are for biomedical scientists (as that’s what I do when I worry about the future haha) even private companies require HCPC.. I have looked at becoming a medical sales representative and I am not good at sales so probably not the best career path lol. Other jobs that are on the website are not interesting to me as much as biomedical scientist. Having said that I do wonder if I should not do the sandwich year and hope I get a job in other industry by doing a graduate scheme ?? Which is also very competitive and risky. My parents always talk about how hard their work is and I feel bad about it, I think about quitting my degree all the time because of my parents situation. It’s not that they are forcing me to quit or anything but I know they aren’t happy and they said I should not have taken an extra gap year bc of covid. At the time I thought why bother doing a degree if it will be online, all the time. They were ok with that decision at the time. For context, my mum is 57, dad is 61. I don’t know what to do tbh. My brother has a degree in business and he has minimum wage job. 3 years seems like a long time. But in the grand scheme of things, 3 years is not a long time at all. Anyway thank you again, I appreciate your help.
Original post by idiotsandwich5
Hi!!
thank you so much for replying. I had no idea you can work as bank staff whilst doing the portfolio, that’s helpful. That’s a good idea I’ll try to contact them now if they can offer placement in the future. I do have a hospital near my house. I have done well for uni, But I don’t know if they take into consideration a level grades which were CCC in biology, chemistry and psychology :frown:. That might get in the way…. “One thing about applying for the placement though is you need to be pretty sure being a biomedical scientist is for you” this is so true. I do like being a lab and I enjoy it. I have looked on google and most the jobs are for biomedical scientists (as that’s what I do when I worry about the future haha) even private companies require HCPC.. I have looked at becoming a medical sales representative and I am not good at sales so probably not the best career path lol. Other jobs that are on the website are not interesting to me as much as biomedical scientist. Having said that I do wonder if I should not do the sandwich year and hope I get a job in other industry by doing a graduate scheme ?? Which is also very competitive and risky. My parents always talk about how hard their work is and I feel bad about it, I think about quitting my degree all the time because of my parents situation. It’s not that they are forcing me to quit or anything but I know they aren’t happy and they said I should not have taken an extra gap year bc of covid. At the time I thought why bother doing a degree if it will be online, all the time. They were ok with that decision at the time. For context, my mum is 57, dad is 61. I don’t know what to do tbh. My brother has a degree in business and he has minimum wage job. 3 years seems like a long time. But in the grand scheme of things, 3 years is not a long time at all. Anyway thank you again, I appreciate your help.

Ultimately, you have to do what's right for you, but if I were you I'd stick out the degree - you've already done one year, and I swear it only gets more interesting! It might be worth getting a part time or bank MLA job in your local path lab now to see if it's something you're interested in? It's definitely something I wish I had done. I won't bother you with any more unsolicited advice, but feel free to ask anything else!
Ultimately, you have to do what's right for you, but if I were you I'd stick out the degree - you've already done one year, and I swear it only gets more interesting! It might be worth getting a part time or bank MLA job in your local path lab now to see if it's something you're interested in? It's definitely something I wish I had done. I won't bother you with any more unsolicited advice, but feel free to ask anything else!

No, I WELCOME unsolicited advice lol. I am sticking with the degree, if it doesn’t work out then it is what it is. I really like the second year modules, they seem really interesting. I have tried so many times for nhs jobs, they never get back to me, it is so frustrating. I would love work as an MLA, it seems like if you know someone in the hospital only then you have a chance. I have applied to internship but got rejected :frown:. Anyway if you don’t mind me asking what do you study?
No, I WELCOME unsolicited advice lol. I am sticking with the degree, if it doesn’t work out then it is what it is. I really like the second year modules, they seem really interesting. I have tried so many times for nhs jobs, they never get back to me, it is so frustrating. I would love work as an MLA, it seems like if you know someone in the hospital only then you have a chance. I have applied to internship but got rejected :frown:. Anyway if you don’t mind me asking what do you study?

I've just finished my biomedical science degree! I had no clue I'd be here this time 3 years ago - I was offered medicine at my uni but for a variety of reasons I didn't meet the a level grades, so they enrolled me on biomed instead, so I understand this not knowing what to do! If you aren't already, send your cv and cover letter for every job you apply to to your careers service with the respective job description and ask for feedback to make it better tailored to the role. They may also have some contacts for path labs, but it might be worth asking your any of your lecturers who are or have worked in pathology labs if they have someone you can contact. I think some trusts use agencies to find bank MLAs, so it might be worth tracking down the agency your trust uses and apply through them?
Hi, I just finished my first year of university and it was great. I think I did well and tried my best to not leave everything to last minute which I am happy about.

I am worried if I don’t get a placement as I want to become a biomedical scientist and I know without the placement, I can’t do that. I am overthinking and stressed because I know it will be so competitive. Not only that, I feel as though I have a lot to lose. I had to not go to uni because of mental health issues and dealing with self doubt. My parents are old too and in my culture I have to look after them. And their health isn’t great. From what I have read during the placement year I will not be paid, which sucks but I know doing the portfolio is worth it. I already feel bad that I couldn’t go for uni for 2 years… if I am not successful I would be so depressed. I guess I need some reassurance.

How many hours a week is the placement?
How long does it take to do a portfolio?
Is it possible to work part time whilst completing the portfolio?
What can I do to ensure I get a placement? I have retail experience…
Some advice that you wish you had before starting placement year?
At what point in the year can I start applying for placements? I will be starting 2nd year in September.

I constantly question my self if I have made the right decision since portfolio thing really bothers me. I don’t even know if I like the degree anymore although that is probably the depression. I plan to see my GP about my issues before I start the second year. Any advice you can give me would great. Thank you!!

Hi @idiotsandwich5

It is great you are being so proactive and thinking about placements as these opportunities will open early into your second year. Generally, they open around October-November time, but some become open for applications in September whilst others do not open until January. It is very varied. Over summer, if would be great if you looked at when these applications open so you are not caught out. If it is a rolling application deadline, it is also important to apply as soon as you can as they may shut the deadline before you have a chance to apply if they have a high volume of applications.

I completed a placement, however, I worked within a pharmaceutical company doing Medical Affairs so I cannot advise you on hours/portfolios as I did not work within a lab. Whilst completing your placement you will have your weekends, so it is possible to have a part time job, however, you will be tired assuming you are working 9-5 and therefore having the weekends off will allow you to relax.

In terms of applications, your retail experience will be great. Make sure you draw on transferable skills you have gained that will be relevant to the role - experience does not need to mimic what job you are applying for. For example, retail would have provided you with communication skills which will be essential for working within a team etc. Look at the job description and see how you can give examples to qualities they are looking for. This will also come up in the interview. Different jobs will ask for a different type of application (i.e. CV or application form) - on both be sure to draw out skills from your experience as well as stating what you did and achieved. If you want to get more experience over the summer, you could try to find volunteering roles or, if you are very lucky, a voluntary placement in a lab for a few days. Enthusiasm is key on applications too.

Following your application, interviews are another chance for you to shine. Think about using the STAR technique when answering questions and do some research around the team you will be joining. For example, for a big company you may be interested in products in their pipeline, or where their research interests sit.

If I could give you any advice it is not to stress about them now! You cannot do that much before applications open, but once they do it can be a stressful time juggling applications alongside uni. Make sure you are as organised as you can - think about the skills you can pull out from your current experience; can you find out when the applications open and what their application process might be? If they need you to fill out an application, there is no point in perfecting your CV now. Other tips I would give you is to take it one step at a time. But also think about where you are applying to - is location important? Some placements will be funded/paid, whilst others are not. This may alter your decision to apply for some. If you want to do an unpaid placement, look into how Student Finance England can support you and see if your university offers any bursaries.

If you are not able to secure a placement, you can still become a biomedical scientist. There are many other ways into this, such as the NHS Graduate Training Scheme. Besides a biomedical scientist, there are many different career paths you can take after a biomed/biological sciences degree, examples include:
- Research/academia
- Teaching
- Science communication (e.g. working for Cancer Research UK)
- Medical writing
- NHS/NHS Scientist
- Genomic counselling
- Pharmaceutical companies (e.g. marketing, pharmacovigilance)
- Consulting for life sciences
- Accounting
- Finance
- Recruitment

Everything will work out in the end so try not to stress! I know it is easier said than done. You will be very employable at the end of your degree regardless of whether you get a placement.

Lauren
(BSc Biology - University of Southampton Rep)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/
I've just finished my biomedical science degree! I had no clue I'd be here this time 3 years ago - I was offered medicine at my uni but for a variety of reasons I didn't meet the a level grades, so they enrolled me on biomed instead, so I understand this not knowing what to do! If you aren't already, send your cv and cover letter for every job you apply to to your careers service with the respective job description and ask for feedback to make it better tailored to the role. They may also have some contacts for path labs, but it might be worth asking your any of your lecturers who are or have worked in pathology labs if they have someone you can contact. I think some trusts use agencies to find bank MLAs, so it might be worth tracking down the agency your trust uses and apply through them?

I’ll keep this in mind for future as right now I have a job in retail. I think it is a good idea to ask the lecturers if they can help me. Thank you for taking time to respond to my questions, it means a lot. Congrats on finishing your degree!
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @idiotsandwich5

It is great you are being so proactive and thinking about placements as these opportunities will open early into your second year. Generally, they open around October-November time, but some become open for applications in September whilst others do not open until January. It is very varied. Over summer, if would be great if you looked at when these applications open so you are not caught out. If it is a rolling application deadline, it is also important to apply as soon as you can as they may shut the deadline before you have a chance to apply if they have a high volume of applications.

I completed a placement, however, I worked within a pharmaceutical company doing Medical Affairs so I cannot advise you on hours/portfolios as I did not work within a lab. Whilst completing your placement you will have your weekends, so it is possible to have a part time job, however, you will be tired assuming you are working 9-5 and therefore having the weekends off will allow you to relax.

In terms of applications, your retail experience will be great. Make sure you draw on transferable skills you have gained that will be relevant to the role - experience does not need to mimic what job you are applying for. For example, retail would have provided you with communication skills which will be essential for working within a team etc. Look at the job description and see how you can give examples to qualities they are looking for. This will also come up in the interview. Different jobs will ask for a different type of application (i.e. CV or application form) - on both be sure to draw out skills from your experience as well as stating what you did and achieved. If you want to get more experience over the summer, you could try to find volunteering roles or, if you are very lucky, a voluntary placement in a lab for a few days. Enthusiasm is key on applications too.

Following your application, interviews are another chance for you to shine. Think about using the STAR technique when answering questions and do some research around the team you will be joining. For example, for a big company you may be interested in products in their pipeline, or where their research interests sit.

If I could give you any advice it is not to stress about them now! You cannot do that much before applications open, but once they do it can be a stressful time juggling applications alongside uni. Make sure you are as organised as you can - think about the skills you can pull out from your current experience; can you find out when the applications open and what their application process might be? If they need you to fill out an application, there is no point in perfecting your CV now. Other tips I would give you is to take it one step at a time. But also think about where you are applying to - is location important? Some placements will be funded/paid, whilst others are not. This may alter your decision to apply for some. If you want to do an unpaid placement, look into how Student Finance England can support you and see if your university offers any bursaries.

If you are not able to secure a placement, you can still become a biomedical scientist. There are many other ways into this, such as the NHS Graduate Training Scheme. Besides a biomedical scientist, there are many different career paths you can take after a biomed/biological sciences degree, examples include:
- Research/academia
- Teaching
- Science communication (e.g. working for Cancer Research UK)
- Medical writing
- NHS/NHS Scientist
- Genomic counselling
- Pharmaceutical companies (e.g. marketing, pharmacovigilance)
- Consulting for life sciences
- Accounting
- Finance
- Recruitment

Everything will work out in the end so try not to stress! I know it is easier said than done. You will be very employable at the end of your degree regardless of whether you get a placement.

Lauren
(BSc Biology - University of Southampton Rep)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/

Hi Lauren
It’s good to know they open the applications for placements early on in the year.If working in a lab is 9-5pm then there’s no way I can do part time job. Yes I can definitely find out more about how the application process works. I have considered working in pharmaceutical industry, it does sound like something I would be interested in, as I had a pharmacology module this year and I found it very interesting. You are right, I shouldn’t stress about it.. I do tend to take life a bit too seriously. Thank you for replying, I found it very helpful and the advice regarding interviews is great too. I really appreciate your help :smile:
So this reply is a little late, but hopefully it might help anyway.

I completed a placement year within my biomedical science degree, and I now work as a Band 5 BMS in a Haematology and Transfusion lab.

On my placement, we worked full time, so 37.5 hours a week, and we got annual leave the same as the staff. I ‘technically’ completed my portfolio evidences within 9 months, and did my verification 3 months later. I personally didn’t work during the year, but I had friends that did. A couple worked a weekend job and others worked as bank staff when they could.
At my uni we applied for our placements during our second year. We had to submit our CVs and then had an interview. Retail experience is good, you can use a lot of the transferable skills in that job to apply it to a laboratory job, plus the experience of lab classes at uni. That’s what I did!
15 people in my year got placements in NHS labs, and we all completed our portfolios. That is quite a lot compared to a lot of other universities though, so take that will a pinch of salt!

And as others have said, you can get a wide range of jobs with a biomedical science degree!

Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by Beecar98

I completed a placement year within my biomedical science degree, and I now work as a Band 5 BMS in a Haematology and Transfusion lab.

On my placement, we worked full time, so 37.5 hours a week, and we got annual leave the same as the staff. I ‘technically’ completed my portfolio evidences within 9 months, and did my verification 3 months later. I personally didn’t work during the year, but I had friends that did. A couple worked a weekend job and others worked as bank staff when they could.
At my uni we applied for our placements during our second year. We had to submit our CVs and then had an interview. Retail experience is good, you can use a lot of the transferable skills in that job to apply it to a laboratory job, plus the experience of lab classes at uni. That’s what I did!
15 people in my year got placements in NHS labs, and we all completed our portfolios. That is quite a lot compared to a lot of other universities though, so take that will a pinch of salt!

And as others have said, you can get a wide range of jobs with a biomedical science degree!

Good luck!

Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me as I am looking for a placement this year for next year when I begin placement - I would really prefer if I did a placement that provides the IBMS training portfolio so when I finish my degree I am fully qualified. At the moment the biggest thing I am struggling with is just places who provide the IBMS training portfolio - where did you do to complete the portfolio and where/ how did you apply for it?

Look forward to hearing your reply.
Reply 11
So this reply is a little late, but hopefully it might help anyway.I completed a placement year within my biomedical science degree, and I now work as a Band 5 BMS in a Haematology and Transfusion lab.On my placement, we worked full time, so 37.5 hours a week, and we got annual leave the same as the staff. I ‘technically’ completed my portfolio evidences within 9 months, and did my verification 3 months later. I personally didn’t work during the year, but I had friends that did. A couple worked a weekend job and others worked as bank staff when they could. At my uni we applied for our placements during our second year. We had to submit our CVs and then had an interview. Retail experience is good, you can use a lot of the transferable skills in that job to apply it to a laboratory job, plus the experience of lab classes at uni. That’s what I did! 15 people in my year got placements in NHS labs, and we all completed our portfolios. That is quite a lot compared to a lot of other universities though, so take that will a pinch of salt! And as others have said, you can get a wide range of jobs with a biomedical science degree! Good luck!
Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me as next year I will be beginning my placement year and currently I am looking for somewhere that provides the IBMS training portfolio so when I finish my degree I will be a fully qualified biomedical scientist - could I ask where you completed your training and how/ where did you apply because I'm struggling to find a place that does it. Look forward to your reply.
Original post by Awkw__
Hi there, I was wondering if you could help me as next year I will be beginning my placement year and currently I am looking for somewhere that provides the IBMS training portfolio so when I finish my degree I will be a fully qualified biomedical scientist - could I ask where you completed your training and how/ where did you apply because I'm struggling to find a place that does it. Look forward to your reply.
Hi! Im a 2nd year biomed. Just applied for my placement year. I didn’t technically have to do anything apart from fill in an application form which my lectures then took and sent around to various different NHS hospitals in the west midlands. Hope that helps
Original post by Awkw__

Sorry very late reply, not sure if it’s even helpful now!
My university arranged placements for us and we then applied, had interviews with the hospital and university staff and then they allocated them after that.
Good luck!

Do you get paid for placement and how much you paid for placement year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending