The Student Room Group
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland

Applied Biomedical Science AMA

Hello!

I thought I would pop a thread up, so that anyone thinking of studying Biomedical Science at UWS can ask me questions. I will be graduating in July with the BSc (Hons) Applied Biomedical Science, having completed the competitive integrated placement in 3rd year.

Throughout my time at UWS I have been heavily involved in academic representation, the Students' Association, and the Team UWS sports too, having held a number of positions.

Happy to help people out who are thinking of applying to this course, or are going to be starting it.
Original post by EthanWilsonUK
Hello!

I thought I would pop a thread up, so that anyone thinking of studying Biomedical Science at UWS can ask me questions. I will be graduating in July with the BSc (Hons) Applied Biomedical Science, having completed the competitive integrated placement in 3rd year.

Throughout my time at UWS I have been heavily involved in academic representation, the Students' Association, and the Team UWS sports too, having held a number of positions.

Happy to help people out who are thinking of applying to this course, or are going to be starting it.

are you prepared for your impending life of stacking shelves or do you have concrete plans in place for your career?
Ayr Campus
University of the West of Scotland
Original post by A Rolling Stone
are you prepared for your impending life of stacking shelves or do you have concrete plans in place for your career?

I can assure you, I have no impending life of stacking shelves in my future :cool:! My degree has me nicely set up to secure a starting Band 6 post with the NHS, however right now, I have chosen to pursue further study and will be starting my MBChB in September.

A number of my friends are already interviewing for said Band 6 posts right now, and in the past many have secured a position and been in work before they have had their graduation ceremony :smile:.
I really liked UWS Paisley when I visited last October, however they still haven't proposed conditional'ed/unconditional'ed/rejected me for my last UCAS choice yet. I suppose there is still time until May 2nd, but accommodation at some of my other offer places opens early next week.

I guess that Paisley has informally "wait-listed" me, whilst the big UCAS mess of everyone rejecting their 3-spares, selecting Firm & insurance, coalesces into a more understandable database for the quieter places like UWS Paisley.

So finally my question to Ethan, after having congratulated you on successfully choosing such a friendly college, and mapping your career out well

"Do they (UWS Paisley) always do admin at the last moment?" (or maybe you're in Ayr, by the river)
Original post by Anonymous
I really liked UWS Paisley when I visited last October, however they still haven't proposed conditional'ed/unconditional'ed/rejected me for my last UCAS choice yet. I suppose there is still time until May 2nd, but accommodation at some of my other offer places opens early next week.

I guess that Paisley has informally "wait-listed" me, whilst the big UCAS mess of everyone rejecting their 3-spares, selecting Firm & insurance, coalesces into a more understandable database for the quieter places like UWS Paisley.

So finally my question to Ethan, after having congratulated you on successfully choosing such a friendly college, and mapping your career out well

"Do they (UWS Paisley) always do admin at the last moment?" (or maybe you're in Ayr, by the river)

Okay - so obviously I cannot speak for what is going on, as that is way out with my control.

However, what I will say, is that any time I have needed to contact staff (academic or otherwise) my questions and such have all been responded to and dealt with very promptly.

I do not know what the UCAS situation is unfortunately, but on the whole I personally have never had any issues in my four years at UWS.

If it is Biomedical Science specifically you have applied to, I doubt UWS is a quieter place, as it is one of only two institutions on the West coast that offer an accredited degree with option for integrated placement. Glasgow and Strathclyde do not. As such it is a highly regarded and popular choice! 😀

Nonetheless I do hope you hear soon!
thanks, No, not biomed - I originally visited Paisley with Nursing in mind as they seem to train all of Scotland's Nurses ;-) (a few other colleges also do a bit) Instead applied for their Psychology course, friends have received a positive reply 'weeks ago' for this, but not me, So I think I should write them an email and get them to remember that I am here!

thanks for the subtle biomedical & placement mention, I think UWS is a great choice, which is often overlooked. It has a perception of mostly catering for local , commuting, students - which is exactly the model for any other European university.
Reply 6
Original post by EthanWilsonUK
I can assure you, I have no impending life of stacking shelves in my future :cool:! My degree has me nicely set up to secure a starting Band 6 post with the NHS, however right now, I have chosen to pursue further study and will be starting my MBChB in September.

A number of my friends are already interviewing for said Band 6 posts right now, and in the past many have secured a position and been in work before they have had their graduation ceremony :smile:.

Hahahahaha.

That told him!

"You're gonna be doing shelf stacking"

"Actually I'm starting Medicine soon".

Lol
Is biomedical in UWS a good course the applied one?
Hi, I'm interested with the Applied Biomedical Sciences. However, international students are inelegible for placement work as written in the website :"Non-EEA students are ineligible to participate in the clinical work placement element of this course." Is it true?

Quick Reply

Latest