The Student Room Group

High myopia

Hi, I have bad eye sight and its -5 roughly both eyes with slight astigmatism. I have my lenses thinned to 1.67 but still lenses are thick at edges. The problem i have is wearing glasses after say 7 hours of continuous use my eyes get tired due to my job at the computer. Removing them makes me blind. When I come home from office I feel like not to wear glasses but i have no other choice. I tried contact lenses but didnt like them. Anyone out there who has a similar high prescription and manages to take breaks from glasses during the day in terms of removing them completely and coping with bad eyesight while taking some rest, it would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Firstly I would suggest a visit to your option. If you’re struggling with headaches etc this can impact your eyes, similarly with squinting and excessive use of computer screens. I am sure there are some glasses which opticians can give you “blue light glasses” which are specifically for people who have extensive periods using computers. Failing that, I would recommend laser eye surgery. This is something I had done myself last year my prescription was -5.50 and -5.75 in each eye with an astigmatism and it has changed my life. I know it is pricey but if this could be an option for you I would highly recommend, I went through optical express and corrected my vision to better than 20/20 and also removed my astigmatism.
Thanks for the useful information that would be really helpful for us..
You should visit your optician.
1. Try to find if a lower prescription makes you feel more comfortable with screens and less tired afterwards.
2. Try different filters.
3. Try not forcing you to 6/6 vision... sometimes 6/9 correction is more comfortable for the patient.

Communicate with the optometrist. If you feel something say it. If you don't feel comfortable with your prescription or your frame, say it. We can't guess it and we do not always know how to ask for an answer for a question we don't know to ask. Meaning there might be something you feel we don't think about.
I'm always thinking about overcorrection or a need for a different prescription for up close and distance because it is my problem and only later I may think about other problems. It is subconscious. So again, speak your mind and feelings. A good optometrist will listen.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by nidhi12
Hi, I have bad eye sight and its -5 roughly both eyes with slight astigmatism. I have my lenses thinned to 1.67 but still lenses are thick at edges. The problem i have is wearing glasses after say 7 hours of continuous use my eyes get tired due to my job at the computer. Removing them makes me blind. When I come home from office I feel like not to wear glasses but i have no other choice. I tried contact lenses but didnt like them. Anyone out there who has a similar high prescription and manages to take breaks from glasses during the day in terms of removing them completely and coping with bad eyesight while taking some rest, it would be appreciated.

How old are you?

Quick Reply

Latest