The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mark 5

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ermm145
I’m currently in yr12 but medical school application deadlines are earlier and my school want us to create a personal statement what should I do? Write a personal statement for medicine and plan to take a gap yr risking not having a place in uni or create two personal statements and apply to university for biomedical engineering and have a medicine personal statement as a plan B. Honestly it’s very scary as I’ve flopped yr12 due to bad mental health but can still get good a level results as I’ve seeked help for it but I’ve pretty much won’t get the predicted for medicine ahhhhh

Don't let your school pressure you into biomed/biomed engineering for the sake of their statistics, and don't rush to make a decision. There's no harm really in applying this coming cycle to unis that don't consider predicted grades (unless that will jeopardise your ability to get AAA, which should be the most important thing), but you can always apply during a gap year with achieved AAA grades. In the grand scheme of things, taking a year or two out of school before uni to get into standard entry medicine is not hugely significant, whereas the time and money needed and competition levels for GEM are much more significant. As ecoiler said, if you've applied for medicine and change your mind, biomed and related courses go into clearing frequently. If you don't get the grades on results day, you can resit and take a gap year anyway, you could apply via clearing or in a gap year for another degree in biomed or maybe an allied healthcare course (only if you're happy to assume you'll never be able to do medicine), or you can look at applying to do medicine abroad if you have the money.
Original post by Ermm145
I’m currently in yr12 but medical school application deadlines are earlier and my school want us to create a personal statement what should I do? Write a personal statement for medicine and plan to take a gap yr risking not having a place in uni or create two personal statements and apply to university for biomedical engineering and have a medicine personal statement as a plan B. Honestly it’s very scary as I’ve flopped yr12 due to bad mental health but can still get good a level results as I’ve seeked help for it but I’ve pretty much won’t get the predicted for medicine ahhhhh

Hi there,

As already mentioned, you can definitely apply to medicine this year and have a decent shot at getting in if you apply strategically and have a good UCAT and interview score. There's nothing to lose if you apply this year - I think it's 100 times better applying and actually trying, instead of thinking 'no I won't get a place anywhere' from the start. :redface:

Are you still trying to decide whether you want to do medicine or biomed engineering? If that's the case then I recommend doing more work experience in both fields to decide what you really want to do. :rolleyes: I mean ultimately there's no point if you apply for medicine and don't want to do it anyway - equally the same for biomed eng. And if you're thinking of doing biomed eng then applying to graduate entry medicine, then please bear in mind that graduate entry medicine is even more competitive than undergrad medicine anyway! :beard:

My advice is, to first of all do more research and figure out if you'd rather do medicine or biomed eng. If you'd rather do medicine, then apply this year strategically, and make sure that you have plenty of time to revise for the UCAT. If you'd rather do biomed eng, then just apply for that! We have lots of blog posts on how to write your personal statement here which I recommend reading if you're stuck! :elefant:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Reply 22
Original post by MedicMind
There's nothing to lose if you apply this year - I think it's 100 times better applying and actually trying, instead of thinking 'no I won't get a place anywhere' from the start. :redface:

That may not be true if @Ermm145 has a lot of A level work to catch up on. If they think the amount of work medical school applications take might jeopardise the chances of getting AAA, there is a significant risk to applying this year.

If they are sure they can get AAA whilst doing the application, then your advice is good. But don't underestimate the impact applying for medicine will have on ability to focus on A level catch up.
I want to do a-levels either in MPW Cambridge or King's college Bournemouth, so I would like to know the insights of both colleges and which would be better for medical preparation. As far as I've researched both provide similar types of medical preparatory programmes.
PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION FOR ME.
I've tried posting this question several time but I didn't receive any answers to this.
I desperately need to know which would be better to study A-levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Keerthika Bala
I want to do a-levels either in MPW Cambridge or King's college Bournemouth, so I would like to know the insights of both colleges and which would be better for medical preparation. As far as I've researched both provide similar types of medical preparatory programmes.
I've tried posting this question several time but I didn't receive any answers to this.

I don’t think many people on here will have experience of both schools they can offer you unfortunately! At the end of the day if they both offer good A level programmes after that it’s on you to get your offers and grades - no school can guarantee it. So think about where you’d be happiest for example.

Hi,

I don't know what either sixth form/college is like for prospective medical applicants; I don't think most people on here do.

What support does each sixth form/college provide for medical applicants? Perhaps if you outline what each one does, we can help you out.

If they're both similar, then it doesn't matter which one you're at; it's then up to you HOW you use those programmes that will make a good application! Also, I'd advise not to just fixate on picking a sixth form/college just because one has slightly more support for medical applicants. There's no point if you're at a sixth form/college that has a slightly better support if you're not happy with other factors like the environment, the location, if your friends are there, if you don't mind moving to a different sixth form/college than your secondary school etc! :rolleyes:

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by becausethenight
I don’t think many people on here will have experience of both schools they can offer you unfortunately! At the end of the day if they both offer good A level programmes after that it’s on you to get your offers and grades - no school can guarantee it. So think about where you’d be happiest for example.

Thank you, since I'm an international student I don't really know the insights of both the colleges , so it would be helpful if anyone could help me in this. And we've when I check for reviews it's always fluctuating and not constant. I really need someone who's from UK know about these colleges to let me know what they are actually like
Thank you, since I'm an international student I don't really know the insights of both the colleges , so it would be helpful if anyone could help me in this. And we've when I check for reviews it's always fluctuating and not constant. I really need someone who's from UK know about these colleges to let me know what they are actually like

Unfortunately, the chances of someone being on TSR who actually attends one of these schools is pretty slim, realistically. And even then, they will just have one opinion!

Have you had the opportunity to visit for open days and speak to current pupils?
Unfortunately, the chances of someone being on TSR who actually attends one of these schools is pretty slim, realistically. And even then, they will just have one opinion!

Have you had the opportunity to visit for open days and speak to current pupils?

No I haven't!
No I haven't!

That might be a good place to start...? :smile:
That might be a good place to start...? :smile:

I think so open day have been closed!
I think so open day have been closed!

That's a shame, but I'm sure if you contacted them they could arrange something, even if it's just a chat with a current pupil.
is that possible now?
is that possible now?

Well, you'd only know if you ask! But I assume these are private schools - if you have an offer, they're highly incentivised to help you to choose their school as you'll be paying.
Well, you'd only know if you ask! But I assume these are private schools - if you have an offer, they're highly incentivised to help you to choose their school as you'll be paying.

yes, they are independent schools! I'm really worried which school will be perfect for doing my A-levels
yes, they are independent schools! I'm really worried which school will be perfect for doing my A-levels

Then they should be happy to help you make a decision and give you the opportunity to learn more :smile:
Honestly, unless a school is really terrible or doesn't offer your subjects, it's not the school that's really going to make the difference (usually). You still have to put the work in for A levels, and the things that help are often things you can't predict in advance (an especially great teacher, a good friend in the class, a lecture you get the opportunity to attend etc). I'd focus on which environment you like best and where you think you'll have the best time. If you'll be boarding, I'd definitely speak to a current boarder and assess the support for International boarders, for example.
Then they should be happy to help you make a decision and give you the opportunity to learn more :smile:
Honestly, unless a school is really terrible or doesn't offer your subjects, it's not the school that's really going to make the difference (usually). You still have to put the work in for A levels, and the things that help are often things you can't predict in advance (an especially great teacher, a good friend in the class, a lecture you get the opportunity to attend etc). I'd focus on which environment you like best and where you think you'll have the best time. If you'll be boarding, I'd definitely speak to a current boarder and assess the support for International boarders, for example.

I do think the same, anyways thank you so much for spending your precious time.....

I acquiesce with you, anyways thank u so much for your responses!
hi,
i’m in year 12 in feb mocks i had gotten D U C,
i revised a lot after that and i’m hoping i did improve in the recent exams, but i’m unsure if it’s all As,

worst case i would take a gap year- and apply using my year13 results?

But idk if i should apply for the UCAT now, or wait a week to get my exam results- as if i wait any longer i feel like alll of the august exam dates would be taken?

my teachers told me i should be realistic have a backup (i have one) and i might get heavily dissapointed especially if i take the ucat then not go into med
honestly i’m not sure since the results are coming next week, i think (2/3) of the exams went pretty well and that i did improve after leaving big gaps in my learning before

and also yes, i believe i’m much more passionate about medicine then cs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending