The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mark 5

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by hihihihihuhh
hi,
i’m in year 12 in feb mocks i had gotten D U C,
i revised a lot after that and i’m hoping i did improve in the recent exams, but i’m unsure if it’s all As,

worst case i would take a gap year- and apply using my year13 results?

But idk if i should apply for the UCAT now, or wait a week to get my exam results- as if i wait any longer i feel like alll of the august exam dates would be taken?

my teachers told me i should be realistic have a backup (i have one) and i might get heavily dissapointed especially if i take the ucat then not go into med

You can book and get a refund if you cancel.
Hello there i hoping to study medicine this year but i am not sure whether i could do medicine due to my GCSE grades could anyone give me advice whether i should apply as i really want to study medicine. i have looked in many university such as UCL and kings want 6 maths and English language and have a 6 in maths and 5 in English language which i am resitting to get 6 and above. the a level grades are A*AA
my predicated grades are A* in chemistry A biology and B for english literature but i have done my A level and awaiting my result in Aug,
Will I still be able to get into medicine if my predicted grades are all B's? Would I be able to apply abroad if not in the UK? What is the best pathway for me to get into medicine?
i think you really need to be predicted at least AAA to apply for medicine in the UK
Original post by hxniifxh
Will I still be able to get into medicine if my predicted grades are all B's? Would I be able to apply abroad if not in the UK? What is the best pathway for me to get into medicine?

Do you qualify for widening participation?
Hello, so basically I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and on route to getting A*A*A or A*AA. However, many medical schools ask for GCSE English Language requirement of grade B or 6. I have gotten a grade 5 in English Lang, but a grade 7 in English Literature. All of my other GCSEs are above the medicine entry requirements. Please could you guys advise me if I would be able to apply to universities like Imperial, KCL/UCL, Bristol. Please also let me know if you guys recommend applying to other Universities for Medicine.
Thank You.

edit:
- I have numerous work experiences and I am working on getting a high UCAT/BMAT score.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by hxniifxh

Hi there,

As others have mentioned, most unis require at least AAA. Many people spend year 13 focusing on A-Levels, ensuring that they obtain at least AAA and then apply on a gap year. You could consider taking this option to make sure that you achieve the grades for most unis in the UK!

You could also consider applying to medicine with a foundation year. Here we have a medical school comparison tool where you can take a look at which unis offer medicine with a foundation year, and what their grade requirements are! :bunny:

Hope this helps x

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Medic Mind
Original post by X_lalitha_X
Hello, so basically I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and on route to getting A*A*A or A*AA. However, many medical schools ask for GCSE English Language requirement of grade B or 6. I have gotten a grade 5 in English Lang, but a grade 7 in English Literature. All of my other GCSEs are above the medicine entry requirements. Please could you guys advise me if I would be able to apply to universities like Imperial, KCL/UCL, Bristol. Please also let me know if you guys recommend applying to other Universities for Medicine.
Thank You.

edit:
- I have numerous work experiences and I am working on getting a high UCAT/BMAT score.

GCSE requirements are normally hard requirements and if you don't meet them you will be immediately rejected. You should look for other medical schools you meet the GCSE requirements for, or plan to retake English language.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank You.

edit:

GCSE resits are accepted by most medical schools.
Reply 49
Thank You.

edit:

You need to resit English language. You can try in October/November. Having a 5 is OK at about 5 medical schools, but retaking it will open up more options and should be fairly easy now that you are a bit older.
Reply 50
How many igcse subjects do i need and what grades do i need to achieve in them?
Reply 51
Original post by Chi chi5
Depends on the course and the uni. We need more information to advise.

I am thinking of oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, bristle or exter, i want to take medicine course.
Original post by Tito.
I am thinking of oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, bristle or exter, i want to take medicine course.

Ah ok so what it required are three sciences if you’re thinking Cambridge. Biology chemistry and either physics or maths at a level. You’ll need English language, sciences, maths at least at gcse level. Oxford scores your highest (10 I believe) GCSEs so you’d need pretty much straight 8/9s. You can only choose one oxbridge uni. This being said, it appears to be that you haven’t started GCSEs yet so bear in mind by the time you apply (in 3 or 4 years time?) things may very well be drastically different. Just concentrate on doing well in whatever subjects you choose and make sure they include maths English language and sciences. The rest don’t matter.
Hey,
So I just finished my AS levels and my grades were no where near where I wanted them to be so I’m resitting in September. In my third subject I got an A.

I was just wondering, is it possible for one to improve 2 heavy subjects over the summer whilst revising for the UCAT?
Original post by mzbrown
Hey,
So I just finished my AS levels and my grades were no where near where I wanted them to be so I’m resitting in September. In my third subject I got an A.

I was just wondering, is it possible for one to improve 2 heavy subjects over the summer whilst revising for the UCAT?

Hi! It is definitely possible, it just requires good planning and time management. Since Biology and Chemistry are very content heavy I would definitely suggest making a plan ahead of time to know what you have to cover and how long you'll spend on it. When is your UCAT booked for?
Original post by WTSBLG
Hi! It is definitely possible, it just requires good planning and time management. Since Biology and Chemistry are very content heavy I would definitely suggest making a plan ahead of time to know what you have to cover and how long you'll spend on it. When is your UCAT booked for?

It’s booked for September 14th. I’m definitely feeling motivated and Ill try to manage my time well. My only worry is the amount of competition in Medicine. Like i’m going up against people who can achieve A* A* A* so easily. Is it realistic for me to still try to apply?
Original post by mzbrown
It’s booked for September 14th. I’m definitely feeling motivated and Ill try to manage my time well. My only worry is the amount of competition in Medicine. Like i’m going up against people who can achieve A* A* A* so easily. Is it realistic for me to still try to apply?

I wouldn't worry too much; I'm also planning to apply for Medicine. I don't think I got good predicted grades either but I would say perhaps focus on the UCAT and look for universities that don't focus too much on predicted grades and maybe have more weighting to your UCAT score and personal statement so focus on these and try to get some good work experience as well. I hope I've been a little helpful :biggrin: Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BlueOrca
I wouldn't worry too much; I'm also planning to apply for Medicine. I don't think I got good predicted grades either but I would say perhaps focus on the UCAT and look for universities that don't focus too much on predicted grades and maybe have more weighting to your UCAT score and personal statement so focus on these and try to get some good work experience as well. I hope I've been a little helpful :biggrin: Good luck!

Thank you, good luck to you as well !!!
Original post by mzbrown
Thank you, good luck to you as well !!!

What are you actually predicted?
Right now A* C C
Resitting in Sep

Original post by Mintkoala
What are you actually predicted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending