The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread Mark 5

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
i was just wanting to discuss my current situation with you. I have been treated very unjust by my sixth form. I am a student currently in year 12 and i am looking to study medicine for which the entry requirements are AAA or A*AA my school has given me predicted grades BBC based on my teachers, my summer exams and progress throughout the year. I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Biology and my ALPS target grade is AAA. I am also in the process of completing my EPQ focused on the care and treatment of Alzheimer patients in the UK. Throught the year in all my subjects i had a range of results from A*s and As and Bs. 3 days before my summer exams my grandmother passed away and i was very close to her and my exam may not have gone very well. I am also a cancer patient and have been undergoing tests and scans as i have been developing some unexplainable symptoms and my Drs are concerned. Last week my father who lives abroad had a heart attack and my mum and family are gone abroad to him. I stayed behind for school especially for my predicted grades. I have requested for my school to take everything into consideration and they have said that they will not be able to change my predicted grades any more and i should consider taking a gap year or choosing an alternative course may seem like a good idea. Bearing in mind that the UCAS deadline for medicine is 15 october for 2023 entry and my grades can still be improved if the school allows me to resit or do futher tests to which they have refused. I am very upset and confused as to what i should do. I am extremely passionate about medicine and i have been planning to go into the field for a long time i had not even considered any other course. Please can you help me out I am really confused as to what i should do. My parents have contacted the school but they have refused to help or do anything they didnt even bother taking my circumstances into account.
Reply 81
i was just wanting to discuss my current situation with you. I have been treated very unjust by my sixth form. I am a student currently in year 12 and i am looking to study medicine for which the entry requirements are AAA or A*AA my school has given me predicted grades BBC based on my teachers, my summer exams and progress throughout the year. I am currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Biology and my ALPS target grade is AAA. I am also in the process of completing my EPQ focused on the care and treatment of Alzheimer patients in the UK. Throught the year in all my subjects i had a range of results from A*s and As and Bs. 3 days before my summer exams my grandmother passed away and i was very close to her and my exam may not have gone very well. I am also a cancer patient and have been undergoing tests and scans as i have been developing some unexplainable symptoms and my Drs are concerned. Last week my father who lives abroad had a heart attack and my mum and family are gone abroad to him. I stayed behind for school especially for my predicted grades. I have requested for my school to take everything into consideration and they have said that they will not be able to change my predicted grades any more and i should consider taking a gap year or choosing an alternative course may seem like a good idea. Bearing in mind that the UCAS deadline for medicine is 15 october for 2023 entry and my grades can still be improved if the school allows me to resit or do futher tests to which they have refused. I am very upset and confused as to what i should do. I am extremely passionate about medicine and i have been planning to go into the field for a long time i had not even considered any other course. Please can you help me out I am really confused as to what i should do. My parents have contacted the school but they have refused to help or do anything they didnt even bother taking my circumstances into account.
hi please help i am a y12 student who got A in EPQ, A in eng lit, B in bio, C in chem in my y12 predicted mock grades. these grades are 100% non negotiable. it is my dream to study medicine but i really messed up this year and didn't work my hardest at all. my plan is to change my life get As in a levels and then take a gap year and apply in 2024 instead of 2023. is this a the best option i have? if anyone could give me any advice i would really appreciate it
Original post by ilovedogs444
hi please help i am a y12 student who got A in EPQ, A in eng lit, B in bio, C in chem in my y12 predicted mock grades. these grades are 100% non negotiable. it is my dream to study medicine but i really messed up this year and didn't work my hardest at all. my plan is to change my life get As in a levels and then take a gap year and apply in 2024 instead of 2023. is this a the best option i have? if anyone could give me any advice i would really appreciate it

Some unis don't consider predicted grades in the application process e.g. (for 2021-22 cycle when I applied) Keele, also they gave AAB offer with A or A* in EPQ (although I think the standard offer is changing to A*AA for 2023 entry and AAA with A/A* in EPQ), check uni websites to see whether they consider predicted grades, and if you're not sure, email to ask. If you have WP/contextual flags that might help your situation, but again check websites carefully. There's no harm in applying this cycle for 2023 entry unless you suspect that your application will divert too much time and energy away from your A levels and might jeopardise your ability to achieve AAA. Sounds like a gap year might be your best option considering how much you need to improve, but you know yourself best. Going from a C to an A in chem will be hard, so you do need to consider whether a complete turnaround in year 13 is realistic and have a good backup plan if you don't achieve AAA. If you do decide to apply this cycle for 2023 entry, you will need to book UCAT fairly soon (certain dates and test centres might not have slots available if you leave it too late).
Original post by M_ahi

Sorry to hear about your situation, I'm not sure I can offer much advice about how to handle your school, other than maybe you can find a tutor who can give your predicted grades and references rather than the school? Not sure how do-able that is for you, but if it's not, don't worry, there are a fair few unis that don't consider predicted grades in the application process, check their websites to find out You could also try emailing universities to explain your situation and see if they can make any allowances or if you would be eligible for any kind of special consideration for your predicteds. Again, not sure how easy or successful that will be but no harm in asking. Another option is applying for 2024 entry with your achieved A level grades and applying during a gap year, which would hopefully also take some pressure off you since doing UCAT this summer sounds like it would be a lot to handle after everything you've been through recently. I hope it all works out for you and best of luck.
Hi ,
With a prediction of A* A* B with Epq -A any chances of applying to medicine ? If so which uni s are the safest option . Thanks
Yes, there are some univesities that accept A*AB predictions and some that accept AAB + A EPQ, so you should have some options.
Without knowing your full stats, including your UCAT score, we can't say which unis are 'safe' - post in this thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578 with all your stats and we can advise then :smile:
With a prediction of A* A* B with Epq -A any chances of applying to medicine ? If so which uni s are the safest option . Not done ucat yet but need reassurance that I ll have some options 🙈
Reply 88
Original post by Vinit05
With a prediction of A* A* B with Epq -A any chances of applying to medicine ? If so which uni s are the safest option . Not done ucat yet but need reassurance that I ll have some options 🙈

There arent many universities that accept grades other than AAA, however, I searched and found a few - worst case scenario you can always take a gap year and apply with acheived grades there is no issue with that :smile: All the best xx

University of Leicester
A-levels: AAA in three subjects including Chemistry or Biology and one of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Psychology, but excluding General Studies, Citizenship Studies, Critical Thinking or Global Perspectives. Our standard offer is AAA, although we will consider applicants with predicted or obtained A*AB provided they have at least an A in Chemistry or Biology. Maths and Further Maths count as one subject. Human Biology and Biology count as one subject.

University of Exeter
http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/recruitmentsites/docs/BMBS_admissions_policy_2022-23v5.pdf
You must have at least a grade A in Biology and Chemistry

St Andrews
But only if
residing in the lowest 40% most deprived areas of the UK.
or
being looked after as a result of a local authority order. See information on care experienced applicants.
or
being registered as a young carer. See information on young carers.
or
being estranged. See information on estranged applicants.
or
being a refugee.

Lancaster University

Sorry, these are all I am aware of for non-contextual applicants.
(edited 1 year ago)
Thanks
Heard Nottingham university also does nt consider predictions but offer If we achieve AAA or AAB with A Epq ?
Will med school care if I re sit my gcses . im resitting because I got diagnosed adhd and my old grades are so bad, so im worried.
Original post by Vinit05
Thanks
Heard Nottingham university also does nt consider predictions but offer If we achieve AAA or AAB with A Epq ?

Nottingham does not consider predictions, but the offer will be AAA, and I have not seen that they are reducing it for an EPQ (though s few places do)
Original post by diorella
Will med school care if I re sit my gcses . im resitting because I got diagnosed adhd and my old grades are so bad, so im worried.

Leicester allow English and maths, nil else, and look like they will only score first sitting, even if resat, so essentially, only useful to meet minimum requirements
Nottingham (and Lincoln), Edinburgh, and Birmingham do not accept GCSE resits. It looks like Aberdeen do not.
Bristol allow 1 resit of any exam at GCSE. Cardiff are if done within a year of originals. Keele will accept but not if applying with pending grades (must be completed).

However, that may alter if you have extenuating circumstances, but you would need to get those approved by the med school before applying, in most cases
Original post by GANFYD
Leicester allow English and maths, nil else, and look like they will only score first sitting, even if resat, so essentially, only useful to meet minimum requirements
Nottingham (and Lincoln), Edinburgh, and Birmingham do not accept GCSE resits. It looks like Aberdeen do not.
Bristol allow 1 resit of any exam at GCSE. Cardiff are if done within a year of originals. Keele will accept but not if applying with pending grades (must be completed).

However, that may alter if you have extenuating circumstances, but you would need to get those approved by the med school before applying, in most cases

that is so dumb but thank you . why do they make things so awkward . seems like medicine is more to do with how complicated hoops you can jump through rather than if you're good at medicine.

edit: I meant to say science .
(edited 1 year ago)
that is so dumb but thank you . why do they make things so awkward . seems like medicine is more to do with how complicated hoops you can jump through rather than if you're good at medicine.

Which bit is dumb? And nobody can know if they are "good at medicine" at this stage!
Do you not need an A** in Medicine GCSE?
True I meant that if someone wanted to resit they can't
Original post by GANFYD
Which bit is dumb? And nobody can know if they are "good at medicine" at this stage!
LMAO Idk I wasn't thinking what I was typing
Original post by GANFYD
Do you not need an A** in Medicine GCSE?
Phew, as I would not have made it! :lol:
True I meant that if someone wanted to resit they can't

If a med school scores GCSEs, you could consider it unfair if people are allowed to resit, as higher grades would be anticipated after extra study (or what would be the point in resitting?). Thus those that resit could be given an advantage over those that did not.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending