The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you drunk too?
Reply 21
Alaric
No one asked if I wanted a shadow :frown:. Guess they don't do it with compscis because we're too scary or something.

I remember ickle lexxy being a shadow, he was fun, he said even less than Shaui does!

A.

I didn't even know when it's actually happening. One of my mathmo friend got one.

It's Shuai, Alaric.
Reply 22
MadNatSci
Are you drunk too?

Hard drive spinning noise induced hallucination I guess... one more professional hazzard for me...
Reply 23
Camford
It's Shuai, Alaric.

My humble apologies, Shuai, I typo'd it again. This new opera makes me want to do everything faster and I can't type sensibly on this keyboard with tiny keys that I only bought because it glows blue.

A.
Reply 24
Got back from Shadowing about an hour and a half ago, it rocked! :biggrin: Definitely gonna apply for Cambridge now I think. If anyone from Robinson is reading this and I met you, then cheers for being cool and stuff...made the whole thing quite a bit more fun :smile: Still have no idea what the f*ck possessed me to do karaoke though, but the less said about that the better haha...
Reply 25
Hey gav,

Just wondering what your "shadowee" did with you on Thurs/Fri night? I'm looking for some ideas of what I can do with my shadow next week (I'm not sure if you know, but we have some quite strict rules about stuff we aren't allowed to do with them!)
Reply 26
crana9
(I'm not sure if you know, but we have some quite strict rules about stuff we aren't allowed to do with them!)

Do not [...] your shadowee:
- ritually sacrifice
- burn
- initiate into a drinking society
- eat
- run away from
- set `initiative tests' of
- `boatie'
- forget
- show Shuai

Any others I've missed?

A.
Reply 27
can't be alone with them at any time, especially not in your room
not meant to take them to anywhere over 18s or pub etc
NO PHYSICAL CONTACT WHATSOEVER (i hope she doesnt think im rude if she tries to shake my hand)
Reply 28
Thursday night we went in Robinson bar and just played pool and did the karaoke and stuff, which was cool, then last night we went to the comedy thing at Newnham, which I thought was brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 29
Cool, I was planning to do a similar thing with mine as long as she wants to (chill a bit on Thurs, play or comedy on friday!)

are there any particular tips you would give me as a shadower :wink: I dont know anything about my shadow yet - I dont even know if she wants to do my subject!
Reply 30
she probably does wanna do your subject if they've paired you up with her.

Hmm...I can't really think of any tips to give you other than be yourself, if you've been given contact information for your shadow an email or phonecall to them would be good. Mine emailed me a few days beforehand and it made actually meeting them slightly less random cos I knew a bit about him before I met him.
Reply 31
Not necessarily - we've been told they have had big problems getting enough people cleared (criminal records checked) so that they have had to pair a lot of shadows up with people doing completely different subjects and at different colleges!

I haven't been given any contact info yet but hopefully should get it soon.
Reply 32
ah right, didn't know that - well if/when you do get some contact info, you can always find out if she's interested in your subject that way i guess :smile:
Reply 33
yeah, I will be doing. Fortunately she'll be staying in my college.
Reply 34
I'm staying in Robinson College from Thursday until sunday as part of the shadowing scheme. I'm a bit nervous bt I suppose thats to be expected. What sorts of things do you do when at the shadowing scheme?
Reply 35
Don't be scared :smile:

You will probably do things like
- tour of your college/Cambridge the city/faculties you're interested in
- go to lectures/practicals/supervisions/etc with your shadower or their friends
- have a group meal
- go out as a group with other shadows and shadowers for food/to a play/to a film/etc

nothing scary. any more q's feel free to ask :wink:
Reply 36
I looked after a shadow for an evening the other day. We took him for a walk around the city. Then went to see a play, but didn't get there on time, so took him for soft drinks in a pub for a bit, and went to see another play at corpus. Which sucked lol. Then we took him back to a staircase for a bit where we hung out and watched movies. He had lots of questions about the incidence of "naked chicks streakin' across the grass." One of my friends kept saying grossly inappropriate things about vaseline, whilst the other rambled about CHICKEEEENS! alot. So once again I buggered up access =P No really he was quite a cynical kid and seemed to have a good time. If you've got shadowing coming up, don't worry you'll have an amazing time, the students will be really nice and understanding, we appreciate it's quite hard being dumped into somebody else's social circle, and you'll meet other shadows around like yourself. Seems scary before you'll get here but it's definitely something you'll enjoy.

Latest

Trending

Trending