The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Is Green House Park House good for 1st year students &does it have its own laundrette

Can someone reply
Original post by Anonymous
Can someone reply

i really like this accomdation, but unsure on it being off campus
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Can someone reply

Hello!

Very sorry we got to this late. To answer your questions...

1. Is it good for first years?

There are many benefits to living off-campus in your first year. Being in the city means that you will be closer to the local supermarkets (Lidl, Sainsburys etc), you'll be able to spend more time getting familiar with Bath as a city, and it will be good 'practice' for second year and beyond should you choose to rented accommodation with friends. Plus, you will still have easy access to campus with the nearest bus stop just outside the building, and to all the club nights, social etc going on on campus.

That being said, some people prefer being on campus because it feels more like a community, or a little village in itself with the lake, the on-campus eateries and more chance of bumping into your lecturers on the parade, and the fact that you save money by not having to buy a bus pass.

When I was in my first year at Bath studying Psychology, I enjoyed being on campus because it was cosy, and it just 'felt right' to me. However, I had many friends in off-campus accommodation who said being off campus helped them to separate their work life (where they'd come up to campus for classes and to work in the library) and their social life/free time and give more structure to their day. It completely depends what sort of environment suits you best. If possible it might help you to visit both the city and the campus to get a feel of which feels 'right' for you and what you want out of your university experience :smile:

2. Does it have its own laundrette?

Of course it does. There is a laundry room in the accommodation near the communal kitchen!

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions please do post on here!

Holly
University of bath
Original post by University of Bath
Hello!

Very sorry we got to this late. To answer your questions...

1. Is it good for first years?

There are many benefits to living off-campus in your first year. Being in the city means that you will be closer to the local supermarkets (Lidl, Sainsburys etc), you'll be able to spend more time getting familiar with Bath as a city, and it will be good 'practice' for second year and beyond should you choose to rented accommodation with friends. Plus, you will still have easy access to campus with the nearest bus stop just outside the building, and to all the club nights, social etc going on on campus.

That being said, some people prefer being on campus because it feels more like a community, or a little village in itself with the lake, the on-campus eateries and more chance of bumping into your lecturers on the parade, and the fact that you save money by not having to buy a bus pass.

When I was in my first year at Bath studying Psychology, I enjoyed being on campus because it was cosy, and it just 'felt right' to me. However, I had many friends in off-campus accommodation who said being off campus helped them to separate their work life (where they'd come up to campus for classes and to work in the library) and their social life/free time and give more structure to their day. It completely depends what sort of environment suits you best. If possible it might help you to visit both the city and the campus to get a feel of which feels 'right' for you and what you want out of your university experience :smile:

2. Does it have its own laundrette?

Of course it does. There is a laundry room in the accommodation near the communal kitchen!

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions please do post on here!

Holly
University of bath

This is amazing! Thank you! Do buses come regularly to and from city to the university . Do you have to pay for the laundrette or is that included in rent?

Would you say many first years are off campus? Or does it just depend. I’ve heard that if you put city accommodation as your first choice, you are guaranteed a place there as not many undergrads go for city accommodation?

How do Bath even allocate accommodation to first years?
Can someone reply

if it helps! i put green park as my first choice and have got an offer for politics and economics. wbu?
Original post by ade123456789
This is amazing! Thank you! Do buses come regularly to and from city to the university . Do you have to pay for the laundrette or is that included in rent?

Would you say many first years are off campus? Or does it just depend. I’ve heard that if you put city accommodation as your first choice, you are guaranteed a place there as not many undergrads go for city accommodation?

How do Bath even allocate accommodation to first years?

Hello again @ade123456789!

Many congratulations on your offer, what exciting news and delighted to hear you have chosen Bath as your firm! I'll do my best to answer your questions...

Buses

Yes, the U1 bus runs from Bath town to Campus around every 5-15 minutes. This service is 24/7. The U2 bus runs from Campus to Oldfield Park (where many second-years choose to live) and Bathwick Hill. This one is term time only, and only on weekdays. Both are run by First Bus. There are also a few other buses such as the 20 and 22 which go from the Sports Village to Bath town if all you want to do is get from campus to town, which run every half-hour ish.

Laundrette

Unfortunately use of the laundrettes (except in Polden and the Quads accommodation) is not free :frown: you pay for it on a mobile app called Circuit. This page on our website has the costs listed as well as an email to contact about setting up with a Circuit account. As you will read, when you move into University-managed accommodation including Green Park House, you will get £28 added to that account to help towards laundry costs every little helps 😊

First years on and off-campus?

In terms of numbers, there are more first year accommodation options on-campus than off-campus but people prefer different options for a variety of reasons there's no hard and fast rules about what is ‘better’, as everyone is different and its about what works best for you and what you want. Historically we have seen more interest for our campus based accommodation, but in recent years our city accommodation (some of which is new) has been increasingly popular. However, no one knows which blocks will be over-subscribed each year until everyone’s applications are in, so I would advise just putting down the options which work best for you and if possible avoid putting any at all down you would 100% not be happy being allocated, just in case!

Accommodation allocation

In terms of allocating rooms, here at Bath it is mainly done according to course offer status (you can only apply after your courses status is ‘unconditional firm’ or ‘conditional firm’), room type preference and gender group preference (not the date you submit your application). You can find a little more info on it here, but the main thing is to be rest assured that it is not a first-come-first-served process.

I hope that helps you a bit but please do keep posting if you have any more questions 😊 Congrats again on your offer and your decision to come to Bath, and the very best of luck in the next few weeks!

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest