The Student Room Group

Help me make a decision!

Hey everyone! Thanks for clicking into this thread :smile:

I need help with choosing my universities. So basically I've applied for aerospace engineering for the 2024 intake at Uni of Sheffield, Bristol, Soton, Loughborough and Glasgow. Out of these I'm interested and in love with Sheffield the most as I feel like it has the best mix of location & learning environment as well has how well rated the course is. The city is absolutely amazing and I feel like where you study is just as important as the Uni rankings because you're gonna live there for 4 years!

However, I'm not yet sure if I should pick Bristol instead as everyone widely regards it as the best uni for Aero Eng after Imperial though I've heard people say the facilities are quite dated?? Bristol seems lovely too but idk I have an unexplainable liking for Sheffield. I've ruled out Loughborough and Glasgow due to it only offering aeronautical and I've ruled out Soton as I really despise the location and environment there.

Am I making the right choice?? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Original post by velocity2405

I need help with choosing my universities. So basically I've applied for aerospace engineering for the 2024 intake at Uni of Sheffield, Bristol, Soton, Loughborough and Glasgow. Out of these I'm interested and in love with Sheffield the most as I feel like it has the best mix of location & learning environment as well has how well rated the course is. The city is absolutely amazing and I feel like where you study is just as important as the Uni rankings because you're gonna live there for 4 years!

However, I'm not yet sure if I should pick Bristol instead as everyone widely regards it as the best uni for Aero Eng after Imperial though I've heard people say the facilities are quite dated?? Bristol seems lovely too but idk I have an unexplainable liking for Sheffield. I've ruled out Loughborough and Glasgow due to it only offering aeronautical and I've ruled out Soton as I really despise the location and environment there.

Have you actually received offers from each of these universities? If not, then you're getting ahead of yourself somewhat.

It is vital you go where you will be happiest and that appears to be Sheffield. You dont need to make any decision until June and making a decision now is foolish. Every year loads come on year firm early then regret it and change their minds. Attend open days in the New Year and then make your decision.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
It is vital you go where you will be happiest and that appears to be Sheffield. You dont need to make any decision until June and making a decision now is foolish. Every year loads come on year firm early then regret it and change their minds. Attend open days in the New Year and then make your decision.

thanks for the reply! you're right I do think I'd be most happy at sheffield but i also dont know if i would wait until june as the accomodation bookings open in march and its like a first come first serve basis where you first need to firm in order to book. And i cant really attend open days as I live abroad ☹️ I will however attend virtual open days in january and see for myself
thanks for the reply! you're right I do think I'd be most happy at sheffield but i also dont know if i would wait until june as the accomodation bookings open in march and its like a first come first serve basis where you first need to firm in order to book. And i cant really attend open days as I live abroad ☹️ I will however attend virtual open days in january and see for myself

Every year we see people who firmed early then change their minds and want to change courses. Dont be one of them. Take your time and ensure the decision is the right one.
Reply 5
since you can't attend the open days, you kinda have to rely on which you feel more drawn towards which appears to be Sheffield, and that's perfectly fine. unless you care about going to the next best uni for aerospace engineering known to be Bristol, i don't think it matters that much because both uni's are likely to provide a more than decent experience for you, even if Bristol's facilities are outdated. Sheffield does appear to be more convenient for you in more than one aspect (the location, the learning environment, and the course rating), so if you feel that's best for you then go for it. but either one would be good i hope so trust your gut.
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
Have you actually received offers from each of these universities? If not, then you're getting ahead of yourself somewhat.

yes I have recieved offers from all of them except for bristol who've put me on hold
Reply 7
Original post by nhsia
since you can't attend the open days, you kinda have to rely on which you feel more drawn towards which appears to be Sheffield, and that's perfectly fine. unless you care about going to the next best uni for aerospace engineering known to be Bristol, i don't think it matters that much because both uni's are likely to provide a more than decent experience for you, even if Bristol's facilities are outdated. Sheffield does appear to be more convenient for you in more than one aspect (the location, the learning environment, and the course rating), so if you feel that's best for you then go for it. but either one would be good i hope so trust your gut.

thats very encouraging. thanks for the advice :smile:
Bristol is currently paying a fortune to lawyers to argue the case in the high court right now that they don’t have a duty of care towards their students https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-67652089.amp

Plus they can’t accommodate their own students in the city.

Steer clear until they get their house in order. I’m not sure who told you that they’re particularly good for aero

thats very encouraging. thanks for the advice :smile:

Hi, I visited Sheffield a month or 2 ago and i loved it honestly. There's a newly refurbished gym too and the ranmoor endcliff village accommodation is so nice too. I'm planning on firming it for CS & AI and would highly recommend.
Reply 10
Original post by shadowblades
Hi, I visited Sheffield a month or 2 ago and i loved it honestly. There's a newly refurbished gym too and the ranmoor endcliff village accommodation is so nice too. I'm planning on firming it for CS & AI and would highly recommend.

Awesome, can't wait to hopefully meet you there!
Original post by PQ
Bristol is currently paying a fortune to lawyers to argue the case in the high court right now that they don’t have a duty of care towards their students https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-67652089.amp

That's an interesting news article, @PQ. Thanks for providing it. What particularly struck me was:

"A judge will examine whether "reasonable steps" must be taken to avoid students coming to harm, and whether universities have a duty not to cause such harm." (my emphasis)

OK. I can understand a uni's argument that their job is to educate, and not to wrap their students in so much cotton wool so they can't possibly come to any harm. But to argue that they don't have an obligation not to cause that harm is somewhat baffling.

Hi velocity2405,
I am currently a 3rd year Biochemistry student at the University of Sheffield, so can't really comment on Aerospace Engineering itself. That being said I have friends that do Aerospace and really enjoy it! Like you, when I was applying to university I had a really good feeling about Sheffield as it seemed really friendly and welcoming. Having been here for 3 years now, I can say that is absolutely what it is like. The university is a very friendly environment with lots of support available if you need it. Sheffield as a city is really lovely, having lots to do but also feeling quite relaxed. This is probably due to all the green spaces around the city, such as Weston Park and Endcliffe Park. The Peak District is also about a 20 minute drive away and is great to for going hiking at the weekend to take a break from your studies. I have really enjoyed my time in Sheffield.
I hope this helps,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry)

Quick Reply

Latest