The Student Room Group

The Official Year 13 Thread (2022-2023)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hey everyone!

🌸We are officially halfway through our A Levels (or equivalent). For some, this will be the final year of education. So, it’s pretty exciting!!🌸

💚We have all come so far💚

🌟This is a judgemental-free, positive space. You can dump your worries here, bond with other year 13s, share your revision plans, motivate each other etc!🌟

🦋This year is going to be a very busy year, but I know we can smash it! :smile:🦋

☃️Here are some icebreaker questions☃️

1) Which subjects are you taking?
2) Are you enjoying them?
3) If you are doing/have done an EPQ, what topic is on?
4) What are your plans for after A Levels?
5) What do you personally want to achieve?
6) How are you feeling about year 13?

1) Media, Health and Social and Travel and Tourism.
2) I don't really like media (I only got a 6 at GCSE but I'm trying to get a C). Travel and Tourism is good, and Health and Social I quite enjoy.
3) I didn't do EPQ - Kinda wish I had.
4) I want to go to university and become a speech and language therapist
5) I want to achieve a B in A level Media and two Distinctions in Travel and Health (I'm predicted Distinction,Distinction, C)
6) I am feeling okay. I've got my UCAS all done. My personal statement is done, and so is the form-filling. I just need to get a teacher to check my personal statement and then I'll send it off in early October I think. I am quite worried for media, only because I've never passed a mock and now I really don't have many chances left and unfortunately I'm not the best at essay writing.
SQA Advanced Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Chemistry, Advanced Higher Biology
absolutely although I'm not putting in as much effort in biology as Maths and Chemistry because the topic seems boring (researching, statistics, experimental design etc)
I'm not doing any. Technically there's supposed to be a practical/research thing for bio but they're not doing it this year
Medicine or Gap year or maybe Chem Eng then GEM sometime later
Short term: getting triple A band 1 predictions and smashing the BMAT. Long term: Becoming a doctor or alternatively owning a company and making p's :cool:

Anxious yet Thrilled! currently scratching my head trying to write my ps while prepping for bmat
Original post by paigelizabeth1
I'm so glad I'm not alone :smile:! I am really enjoying the content, however it is confusing learning core and crime at the same time! I feel like I can apply bits of crime to the core bit and then when the class goes through answers it does not even include what I have said...

How are you finding it?

I completely agree!
We are about to have a test on post modernism and something else, and I’m literally so clueless 🥲 i think not having any context to go off of really makes it all the more confusing. We are due to start crime but that won’t be for another couple lessons yet :/
Original post by Rottero_A21
SQA Advanced Higher Maths, Advanced Higher Chemistry, Advanced Higher Biology
absolutely although I'm not putting in as much effort in biology as Maths and Chemistry because the topic seems boring (researching, statistics, experimental design etc)
I'm not doing any. Technically there's supposed to be a practical/research thing for bio but they're not doing it this year
Medicine or Gap year or maybe Chem Eng then GEM sometime later
Short term: getting triple A band 1 predictions and smashing the BMAT. Long term: Becoming a doctor or alternatively owning a company and making p's :cool:

Anxious yet Thrilled! currently scratching my head trying to write my ps while prepping for bmat

Hiya there,

Souds like you've got a great plan for the year(s) ahead! Here we have our top tips on how to structure your Medicine PS, but in general, i'd say to include lots of reflections :h:. Where are you thinking of applying? Let me know if you'd like some advice on the BMAT and if there's a particular section you're struggling with :u:.

Good luck!

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by lastheaven
1. I'm taking sociology, law and media studies, took criminology in y12 but took the 1st yr qualification and dropped it because i had basically no frees
2. I mostly enjoy everything but not enjoying having to do media coursework, literally the least creative person ever
3. Not doing an epq
4. Want to go to uni to do criminology
5. Just want to pass everything tbh
6. Bit nervous, forgot everything from y12 already

Hiya there,

J wanted to say that even though you might think that you can't remember much content from Year 12, I promise you that it'll come back to you quickly when you come to revise again! :u: My advice is to do little and often revision throughout Year 13, and I recommend starting soon, doing a few hours of going over last years' content each week :h:.

Marimo
UCL Y2 Med Student
Study Mind
Original post by Infinxty09
I am. Have to hand it all in to school by the 30th though, which is very quickly creeping up on me 😬😱

Yeah it's gotta be done before October, so it's really intense!
Original post by Squiggles1238
Yep, I do, and I still haven’t chosen a 5th choice yet!

Same... Torn between Manchester and Edinburgh (biology) -- actually I like Edinburgh as a city more so why not?
Reply 66
1) Which subjects are you taking? - Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
2) Are you enjoying them? - so much especially compared to GCSE
3) If you are doing/have done an EPQ, what topic is on? - Yep it's on cancer treatment and it's due tomorrow :/ Tonight is gonna be a long long night...
4) What are your plans for after A Levels? - Study med at uni (UCL first choice Oxford second) if i get in. If not, I'll take a gap year.
5) What do you personally want to achieve? - A*AA would be my offer conditions if i get any, so that would be nice
6) How are you feeling about year 13? - Not too bad. Just gotta get BMAT and interviews out of the way and then i get to just focus on revision. Last year of school tho so im gonna make sure i enjoy it
1) Which subjects are you taking? bio, chem, maths
2) Are you enjoying them? yeah, maths is a bit much but it’s still enjoyable at times
3) If you are doing/have done an EPQ, what topic is on? i’m not but within the welsh bacc we do an individual project which is basically an epq, not sure what topic yet.
4) What are your plans for after A Levels? uni for biomedical science
5) What do you personally want to achieve? to get at least AAA and get into KCL
6) How are you feeling about year 13? bit stressed already, but quite optimistic and happy to get it over with
Original post by Bookworm524
Same... Torn between Manchester and Edinburgh (biology) -- actually I like Edinburgh as a city more so why not?

Sounds like you’ve already made your decision then!
Reply 69
Original post by DP4300
Hi! I'm DP4300 and in year 13
A levels - Chemistry, maths and geography
Chemistry is the most interesting but also the hardest!
I want to study chemistry at university
I'm hoping for high predicted grades and acing a level exams

hey u from london? just wanted to ask something
Reply 70
Original post by frostedberries
1) A Level Biology, Chemistry, Maths
2) Yes apart from Mechanics in Maths
3) N/A
4) Medicine / gap year
5) At least AAA hopefully A*A*A
6) My goal is to be more productive this year

Reply 71
1) Bio, chem and psych
2) The actual content yes for the most part
3) n/a
4) Medicine hopefully
5) Getting a place at uni for next year. Also want to pass my Taekwon-do black belt grading this year. Achieving AAA grades
6) Terrified

hey u from london? just wanted to ask something as we are doing similar things
Reply 72
Original post by Ethxn.cliffxrd
I'm a med applicant studying chem, bio, french.UCAT 3090 band 2.I really want to put in an oxbridge application but that also would require doing the BMAT, and my driving test is this friday.My current thought process is literally if I pass the driving test, I sit the BMAT entrance exam.I've started this year feeling very disorganised in comparison to last year, but we will see how it goes!!

Reply 73
Original post by a._5
1) Which subjects are you taking? - Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
2) Are you enjoying them? - so much especially compared to GCSE
3) If you are doing/have done an EPQ, what topic is on? - Yep it's on cancer treatment and it's due tomorrow :/ Tonight is gonna be a long long night...
4) What are your plans for after A Levels? - Study med at uni (UCL first choice Oxford second) if i get in. If not, I'll take a gap year.
5) What do you personally want to achieve? - A*AA would be my offer conditions if i get any, so that would be nice
6) How are you feeling about year 13? - Not too bad. Just gotta get BMAT and interviews out of the way and then i get to just focus on revision. Last year of school tho so im gonna make sure i enjoy it

Reply 74
Original post by z22a

Not from London no but feel free to PM me if you have qs
Original post by z22a

I'm from london maybe i can help x
Reply 76
Original post by Cant.be.asked
I'm from london maybe i can help x

i'll pm u
(Original post by Infinxty09)what and where have u applied for?

dentistry at Manchester Uni!
Original post by cherryblossomed
dentistry at Manchester Uni!

Good luck!
Reply 79
Original post by McGinger
So, anyone got there UCAS application sorted out already ...?

i have no idea where to start it's stressing me out

Quick Reply

Latest