The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheMcSame
You don't?

Okay. Take your argument where parents are starting at 8 and 9AM.

Now change the start time from 10AM to the current times and the parents' work start times to 6AM

The same argument applies, no? Ergo to say starting at 10AM is discrimination because people are at work is to suggest ALL possible start times are discriminatory because someone, somewhere, will start at X time and have a child in that position.

I never said it was perfect. The government knows that realistically not as many parents start work at that time. It’s never going to suit absolutely everybody of course. They have start times that fit in with most people, because that’s realistically what they can actually do to get as many people into school as possible.

They don’t have a magic wand to make it perfect for everybody. They have a duty to make access at a reasonable time for the majority of students, that’s what they’ve done, as they know about what time most people start work. As you say you could argue it’s discrimination the other way round, but there’s never going to be a one size fits all solution. The system we have now fits the vast majority of students and parents. The rest unfortunately have to deal with it, but the more people the system suits the better. The government knows most people don’t start work that early, they’ve done what they can.

It’s a numbers game, you do what you can for the most amount of people.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Talkative Toad
6? As in being in school at 6?

Haha no, but had to get up that early
Original post by Mintkoala
The wasn’t the point of the OP, the OP is about the start times, which is what I have been talking about.

It doesn’t matter whether these are valid excuses or not, it is the state of what actual life is. Parents who won’t teach their children they have to do it because it’s easier to do it for them so it actually gets done, students who can’t be bothered to do it anyway so parents do it despite encouragement so that it actually gets done, etc. It’s not realistic to change all that across the country, because people are people and they do what they do. The government knows this and knows it wouldn’t work. Even if the current system is flawed it’s realistically the best it’s going to be.

If you’re an adult and you’re rushing around or going to be late then that’s fine, that’s your issue and nothing to do with anybody else. School children are in essence ‘looked after’ by the Department of Education and much as possible to gain access to an education, because they’re not adults, and they have a right to an education. Therefore the government has a responsibility to make access to education as easy as possible, which is what the current system is. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best it can be.

I wasn't taught that had to do it (if anything I'm the one who's doing it and not the parent) but I still got off my back and did it in school (I care about being on time for events or at least making the effort to be on time even before adulthood and in primary school). Sorry but coming from someone who is disorganised as heck even I can't understand why people can't do the bare minimum to try (at least try) and be on time for places. It may be the reality (you're right on this one) but that's not a valid excuse in my view.
Original post by TheMcSame
You don't?

Okay. Take your argument where parents are starting at 8 and 9AM.

Now change the start time from 10AM to the current times and the parents' work start times to 6AM

The same argument applies, no? Ergo to say starting at 10AM is discrimination because people are at work is to suggest ALL possible start times are discriminatory because someone, somewhere, will start earlier than 8/9AM and have a child in that position.

This, plenty of parents simply don't have time to drop their kids off to school under the current system. We really need to improve public transport links. I think that the current school starting time is sensible and fine (don't understand people who complain about having to be in education for 9:00 am) but there's still plenty of parents under the current system who simply still can't drop off their kids to school for 8:00 am for whatever reason.
Original post by iL1L
Haha no, but had to get up that early

Then that's not that bad then in my view, still sucks though.
Original post by Muttley79
Most schools start at 8.45 but some are making crazy journeys of over an hour to school. This is down to league tables and a belief that you need to go to an outstanding school to do well.

Nah tbf some pupils legitimately have no choice (especially at uni maybe).
I'm talking about secondary school only of you read my reply properly. At secondary school you should be able to go to school and get ready all by yourself (I appreciate that this might not be possible for everyone), you shouldn't need to have your parents drop you off (in theory unless you live far from school, live in a rural area, have a physical disability/are on crutches etc) and the school buses would simply come later for primary school and university I wouldn't change anything.

sorry but this is just a big overgeneralisation.
some young year seven and eights are very immature and their parents just might not trust them to get to school safely.
some parents won't want their eleven year old kids going to school themselves if they live in a very rough area. if i had a kid that age i would NOT want them walking around some of the areas i live when it's dark mornings and nights in winter.
also, i went to a big city school and there were kids who would have had to have gotten two long buses to get there (there was even a girl who had to get a ferry and a bus in) so some parents would rather drive them if possible.
I wasn't taught that had to do it (if anything I'm the one who's doing it and not the parent) but I still got off my back and did it in school (I care about being on time for events or at least making the effort to be on time even before adulthood and in primary school). Sorry but coming from someone who is disorganised as heck even I can't understand why people can't do the bare minimum to try (at least try) and be on time for places. It may be the reality (you're right on this one) but that's not a valid excuse in my view.

This, plenty of parents simply don't have time to drop their kids off to school under the current system. We really need to improve public transport links. I think that the current school starting time is sensible and fine (don't understand people who complain about having to be in education for 9:00 am) but there's still plenty of parents under the current system who simply still can't drop off their kids to school for 8:00 am for whatever reason.

Again it’s not a valid excuse, but most kids won’t do it, that’s what kids are. I wasn’t taught either and I did these things. Even if some kids are taught they still won’t do these things, because kids are kids and can’t be bothered. Again the government knows this, no matter how unfortunate it is, and therefore realises that the timings of the school day need to tie in with typical timings of parental support.

I really don’t think Liz Truss going on national TV and telling teenagers that they have to get out of bed, make their own breakfasts each morning, have done all their own laundry and have got everything else ready off their own backs, would go down very well at all. Again the government knows this.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lucyyy12
sorry but this is just a big overgeneralisation.
some young year seven and eights are very immature and their parents just might not trust them to get to school safely.
some parents won't want their eleven year old kids going to school themselves if they live in a very rough area. if i had a kid that age i would NOT want them walking around some of the areas i live when it's dark mornings and nights in winter.
also, i went to a big city school and there were kids who would have had to have gotten two long buses to get there (there was even a girl who had to get a ferry and a bus in) so some parents would rather drive them if possible.

Wasn't allowed to go school by myself either in Y7-Y8 but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have been able to do it unlike for primary school.
Wasn't allowed to go school by myself either in Y7-Y8 but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't have been able to do it unlike for primary school.

So the government telling people how to raise their kids, what to do with them and what to allow and not allow them to do? Yeah that’s gonna go down really well…
(edited 1 year ago)
Again it’s not a valid excuse, but most kids won’t do it, that’s what kids are. I wasn’t taught either and I did these things. Even if some kids are taught they still won’t do these things, because kids are kids and can’t be bothered. Again the government knows this, no matter how unfortunate it is, and therefore realises that the timings of the school day need to tie in with parental support.

I really don’t think Liz Truss going on national TV and telling teenagers that they have to get out of bed, make their own breakfasts each morning, have done all their own laundry and have got everything else ready off their own backs, would go down very well at all. Again the government knows this.

Yeah that is true tbh as is a shame.

So the government telling people how to raise their kids, what time do with them and what to allow and not allow them to do? Yeah that’s gonna go down really well…

I don't think that the government should tell people how to raise their kids, that should be the parents job but I'll have to agree with @TheMcSame in that this is exaggerating a little.
Original post by GodAtum
I commute to work about 0730 but there's always loads of schoolkids on the bus at that time! I feel sorry for them, when I was at school I woke up at 0830 and school started at 9am.

Even at uni lectures only started at 9am and I currently start work at the same time.

I think it's a bit harsh that kids have to start at 8am!

how on earth did you get up, showered, dressed, ate breakfast, sorted your bag etc and get to school in half an hour? did you live next to your school lol? most people would not have the privilege of being able to roll out of bed and into school like that.
how on earth did you get up, showered, dressed, ate breakfast, sorted your bag etc and get to school in half an hour? did you live next to your school lol? most people would not have the privilege of being able to roll out of bed and into school like that.

I tend to skip breakfast when that happened but yeah couldn't do all of that in 30 mins would need an 1 hour minimum, maybe shower and get dressed and that was it.

Just can't see how you can wake up at 8:30 if school started at 9:00.

Edit: maybe if you're someone who showers at night and lives nearby then maybe this is possible but other than that I just can't see it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Yeah that is true tbh as is a shame.

I don't think that the government should tell people how to raise their kids, that should be the parents job but I'll have to agree with @TheMcSame in that this is exaggerating a little.

I still don’t think it’s exaggerating. You want kids to do these things, you know realistically they won’t, so what’s the only solution? The theory would then be the government makes these things mandatory and has consequences for not doing so, because if these things aren’t being done out of choice at the moment then what else could be done? The system we have now makes it so that parental support can get these things done for the majority of students.

There’s what we have now and there’s enforcement. There’s no middle ground or magic wand. Kids aren’t doing these things off their own backs, they won’t despite encouragement, so how else would it happen?

Not that this would ever happen of course. I just don’t see another way into your view of getting these things done.
(edited 1 year ago)

I was allowed to go to school by myself as long as it wasn't dark.
I'm not a parent, but sometimes there is a SHOULDN'T.
where I live there have been quite a few murders recently and I simply would not allow my kids to walk to school by themselves in the dark, even if they were in sixth form. it's just way too dodgy where i live

it's different for every parent/child. where i lived when I was younger I walked to school myself in primary because it was safer.
Nah tbf some pupils legitimately have no choice (especially at uni maybe).

Everyone has a choice - live in halls for uni. Go to your nearest good school [not miles away to a Grammar or an outstanding school with an old Ofsted rating].
Everyone has a choice - live in halls for uni. Go to your nearest good school [not miles away to a Grammar or an outstanding school with an old Ofsted rating].

You have never been able to choose a state school. You put down a handful of choices you wouldn’t mind your children going to, and the council allocates them a place. Some people don’t get into their closest school. Some people don’t get into any of the choices their parents put down.
(edited 1 year ago)
Most schools start at 8.45 but some are making crazy journeys of over an hour to school. “This is down to league tables and a belief that you need to go to an outstanding school to do well.”

Um maybe because a lot of state schools are crap and people are ambitious?
I was allowed to go to school by myself as long as it wasn't dark.
I'm not a parent, but sometimes there is a SHOULDN'T.
where I live there have been quite a few murders recently and I simply would not allow my kids to walk to school by themselves in the dark, even if they were in sixth form. it's just way too dodgy where i live

it's different for every parent/child. where i lived when I was younger I walked to school myself in primary because it was safer.

In that case then that's fair enough.

Nah if you live in a rural area you might legitimately have no choice or you might not be able to afford the halls.

You have never been able to choose a state school. You put down a handful of choices you wouldn’t mind your children going to, and the council allocates them a place. Some people don’t get into their closest school.

This is facts, some pupils legitimately have no choice but to spend and hour traveling to and from school (I know that I had no choice pretty much in sixth form, so I grew a bone and did it unfortunately). Wouldn't be fair to say that everyone has a choice.
(edited 1 year ago)
You have never been able to choose a state school. You put down a handful of choices you wouldn’t mind your children going to, and the council allocates them a place. Some people don’t get into their closest school. Some people don’t get into any of the choices their parents put down.

Then you appeal like we had to - there is a recommended journey time which LAs have to bear in mind.

The reason people don't get in is because they refuse to name their catchment school or don't understand how equal preference works. I have to explain it every year on our Open Evening - if you don't live nearby you won't get in.

of course you don't get a choice. your council chooses, even if it's miles and miles away.
some areas literally don't have good schools.
and in uni, a lot of people can't afford halls because of how they give loans on your parents income. none of my friends who live out can cover their rent and food with the loans alone, they have to work stupid hours at work just to survive. a guy on my course dropped out this year because he just couldn't do the work hours and uni

Latest

Trending

Trending