The Student Room Group

How long should you stay at an ECT job for?

So, basically I am a History PGCE student who is coming towards the end of my second placement. I applied for a job quite early on, around February, and I had the interview and got it.

It is a Harris Academy, a fairly new one. When I went for the interview, I liked the school, the department seemed nice etc. My first placement was also a Harris Academy, and I didn't mind it. However, since starting my second placement, my colleagues have expressed their 'dislike' for the school, and the reputation of academies in general in providing support for ECTs, and what this could look like on my CV etc.

Also, my second placement school is a completely different vibe (state mixed comprehensive) to my first placement school (academy), and I realise the my teaching style is probably more aligned to a school that is less rigorous and strict in policies, teaching and learning styles that a Harris Academy has. In hindsight I probably should've waited until after I started my second placement to start applying for jobs, to see what school I prefer.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I am scared that this will have an impact on my CV, I will dislike the school and teaching in general or go into the job with a negative mindset. It is also too late to apply for any other jobs. Shall I just stick with it for 2 years, and the leave after that? Will this look bad on my CV?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
No-one will care - you'll get asked why you want to move on, but everyone will be asked that - just give an honest answer, you want to teach at a school more suited to you. If you don't like it, move on after a year (or sooner if you can find a job).

Judge it for yourself though - sounds like you liked it. Why let others put you off before you've even started?
Reply 2
Original post by samiyaq
So, basically I am a History PGCE student who is coming towards the end of my second placement. I applied for a job quite early on, around February, and I had the interview and got it.

It is a Harris Academy, a fairly new one. When I went for the interview, I liked the school, the department seemed nice etc. My first placement was also a Harris Academy, and I didn't mind it. However, since starting my second placement, my colleagues have expressed their 'dislike' for the school, and the reputation of academies in general in providing support for ECTs, and what this could look like on my CV etc.

Also, my second placement school is a completely different vibe (state mixed comprehensive) to my first placement school (academy), and I realise the my teaching style is probably more aligned to a school that is less rigorous and strict in policies, teaching and learning styles that a Harris Academy has. In hindsight I probably should've waited until after I started my second placement to start applying for jobs, to see what school I prefer.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I am scared that this will have an impact on my CV, I will dislike the school and teaching in general or go into the job with a negative mindset. It is also too late to apply for any other jobs. Shall I just stick with it for 2 years, and the leave after that? Will this look bad on my CV?

You can't just ditch the job you've accepted - that will damage you. It's a reall 'No, no' in teaching.

Why not see how it goes? Ideally stay two or three years to see a whole cohort through their GCSE/A level . Academies are state schools ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending