The Student Room Group

a level mocks

how may hours are normal for mock revision?
Original post by Jas206

hours per day? also, what year are you in and when are your mocks? @Jas206
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emm4nuella
hours per day? also, what year are you in and when are your mocks? @Jas206

year 13 and this week
Reply 3
Original post by Jas206

Depends very much on the subjects and your ability and it's hard to quantise because I don't keep a track of the hours I've spent doing work.

For Y12 mocks
At my school, I know people that started three months before the mock date while I started two weeks before the mocks because I felt as though I didn't have to go over that much content.

I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science. I did one week of Computer Science and then the other week was Chemistry before our mocks was Chemistry.

At our school, in year 12, they do year 1 normal maths and year 2 normal maths in the same year and then in year 13, they do all of the further maths stuff. Now, because our y12 mock was just the entire Maths A level, it wasn't too taxing because I had a really good grip on the content and I felt it was straightforward.

For Chemistry, I couldn't really identify areas that I was weak in so I spent the week just going over the stuff we did in our lessons and the content in the revision guide before completing past papers.

For Computer Science, there isn't many past papers available for students to do so you need to find other ways to get the content in your head and if you look at the previous spec papers, the mark schemes will misguide you because there is new stuff you need to mention in your answers for the new spec papers. So, I found a way around that by creating my own set of flashcards, which cover the entire course in its entirety, and I did this throughout the year because we kept having to revise for progress tests and I thought that I may as well do this because it will then save time in the long run (and I was so right!).

However, I don't recommend leaving two weeks for it because the stress I was under for those two weeks is beyond insane. However, I'm glad I got through it and I realised that I should correct my learning method. I still got decent results (Three A*s and an A in Computer science because I made some stupid mistakes on the paper and completely misread the question).

Year 13 mocks
If your question is to do with Year 13 mocks, mine are at the end of February so I am going to start round about now. The problem is that I have my EPQ due in Late Jan and my NEA due in mid Feb so I gotta finish those as a matter of priority.

I wanted to brush up on the A level Maths content because it's been at least 7 months since I last did A level Maths content (we finished the Maths course early and this meant that we could start the Further Maths course earlier) so I did a past paper a couple of days ago without having done any work and got an A* (279/300). Now, obviously I am going to do work for the actual thing but it's reassuring that I am staying on top of Maths. However, for the other three subjects, I need to do a lot of work (particularly Chemistry). That is partly why I am going to start in January. Some people have started earlier (early December) but it's up to them.

So to summarise, it's dependent on how straightforward you find content. If you find it straightforward, you won't need as much time but to quantise it as you have asked me to, it would be hard to say.
Reply 4
Original post by Jas206
year 13 and this week

What?! This week?? That's very early and unfortunate. Our school is making us do them on 26th Feb onwards (after a two week holiday)

If I was in your position, I would be absolutely grinding. I'd say 7 hours+ but very much dependent on how much work you have done at this point.
Original post by Jas206
year 13 and this week

hiya - i am also in year 13 @Jas206! wow, like @vnayak said - that is quite early for mocks? this is the rule i stick to and my school recommends: for every hour that you spend in school for that subject per week, that equates how much extra you should do a week. for example, cos my total lesson time of each subject each week amounts to 5 hours, i spend 5 hours a week on each subject studying or recapping knowledge! hope that helps :smile:! hopefully you have started revising :smile:, but if you haven't i recommend maybe doing 2-4 hours a day now as you are going back to school! hopefully this helps ❤️ also what subjects do you do? :smile:
Original post by vnayak
What?! This week?? That's very early and unfortunate. Our school is making us do them on 26th Feb onwards (after a two week holiday)

If I was in your position, I would be absolutely grinding. I'd say 7 hours+ but very much dependent on how much work you have done at this point.

wow you're lucky - i wish my mocks were after half term
Reply 7

thank you so much for the advice i have been doing around 6-8 hours most days this week and have been working consistently for the past month on chem and bio chem is on tuesday and bio on friday so tbf i should be okay as i have done all the past papers
Reply 8
Original post by Jas206
thank you so much for the advice i have been doing around 6-8 hours most days this week and have been working consistently for the past month on chem and bio chem is on tuesday and bio on friday so tbf i should be okay as i have done all the past papers

Good luck! You should be OK!
Reply 9

I don't know about lucky because we have finished the course in so many subjects so that means more revision is needed and once a test is over, I just completely forget the stuff I have learnt.

We have finished the A level Maths stuff in Further Maths last year (but not everything will be tested as the people who just do normal Maths haven't finished the whole course yet).

We will finish the optional modules before February in Further Maths so that will be tested. The Core Pure 2 stuff will be most likely finished because we have two teachers for the Core Pure who take different parts (they have split it in half with one teacher taking one side and the other teacher taking the other side).

Chemistry, we have got a lot of stuff to cover because we are nowhere near finishing - I think we have about 8 topics left.

Computing, we have finished the whole course three weeks ago so now we are just revising in the lessons.
Reply 10
hiya - i am also in year 13 @Jas206! wow, like @vnayak said - that is quite early for mocks? this is the rule i stick to and my school recommends: for every hour that you spend in school for that subject per week, that equates how much extra you should do a week. for example, cos my total lesson time of each subject each week amounts to 5 hours, i spend 5 hours a week on each subject studying or recapping knowledge! hope that helps :smile:! hopefully you have started revising :smile:, but if you haven't i recommend maybe doing 2-4 hours a day now as you are going back to school! hopefully this helps ❤️ also what subjects do you do? :smile:

That is actually very useful advice! Our school says to us to do 2 hours of qualitative work everyday but splitting it up and choosing between your subjects. They say 30 minutes between your four subjects everyday. However, I just do 2 hours of what I want to do. It's like a Pomodorro timer (or whatever they are called) but after two hours, I take a break for 20-30 minutes and then back on it.
Reply 11
Original post by Jas206

I would always say to do as many hours as you can so you know when you get every grade that you worked as hard as possible. 6-8 hours is a good amount to be doing during the holidays (I would even aim a bit higher if you can) but you should make sure to keep your hours up when you go back to school.

What is your study routine for after school and weekends?
Reply 12
Original post by vnayak
That is actually very useful advice! Our school says to us to do 2 hours of qualitative work everyday but splitting it up and choosing between your subjects. They say 30 minutes between your four subjects everyday. However, I just do 2 hours of what I want to do. It's like a Pomodorro timer (or whatever they are called) but after two hours, I take a break for 20-30 minutes and then back on it.

That's so cool it really homes in on the quality over quantity of work rather with my college they also say about 5 hours of work per subject out of school each week for those with three subjects which includes homework so realistically the revision sector can be limited to 3 hours a subject

Quick Reply

Latest