The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
We had no choice - the appeals were won and we had to take them. Yes the timetable had to be rewritten .... schools have to take students they are allocated. It happens all the time - you just may not have come across it. Another school near me had its PAN raised by 30 with no new buildings - of course more money follows more studnets but there is a time lag. Every student brings a 'pot' of cash called the AWPU so what you say is wrong.

I've helped other parents win appeals so the school went over PAN ... it's not unique.

At my secondary school we had 6 houses. We had a special building for year 7 only tutor/registration time and assemblies (partly to make it easier for year 7s to transition to secondary school having their own area, among other reasons). There were 6 rooms and a small assembly hall. 30 or 31 kids in each class. If they can’t afford another teacher they can’t afford to build a new room and employ another teacher (and more subject teachers to teach a whole other class all the different subjects). This setup isn’t uncommon in secondary schools.

Appeals will not always be won. We have gone over this. Some will, most won’t, especially when looking at the whole country.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lucyyy12
not true - an infant class can have more than 30 as long as there are enough teachers for ratio.

No that is not the law ... if there are 60 and 2 teachers then that 30 per class - additional adults [like TAs] don't make 31 legal
Original post by Mintkoala
At my secondary school we had 6 houses. We had a special building for year 7 only tutor/registration time and assemblies (partly to make it easier for year 7s to transition to secondary school having their own area, among other reasons). There were 6 rooms and a small assembly hall. 30 or 31 kids in each class. Now if they can’t afford another teacher they can’t afford to build a new room and employ another teacher. This setup isn’t uncommon in secondary schools.

Appeals will not always be won. We have gone over this. Some will, most won’t, especially when looking at the whole country.

We had no choice - we were also 6 form entry and had to create a 7th from nowhere. Children have to be allocated a school so it is not as simple as you think. Sometimes there is a 'bulge' year with more students than the LA can accommodate ... wiht all the new housing it's likely to happen again.

What happens when every school in an LA is full? The students have to go somewhere ...
We had no choice - the appeals were won and we had to take them. Yes the timetable had to be rewritten .... schools have to take students they are allocated. It happens all the time - you just may not have come across it. Another school near me had its PAN raised by 30 with no new buildings - of course more money follows more studnets but there is a time lag. Every student brings a 'pot' of cash called the AWPU so what you say is wrong.

I've helped other parents win appeals so the school went over PAN ... it's not unique.

you're taking your own experience and trying to apply it to the rest of the country.
i don't know where you live but the council where i do just wouldn't entertain an appeal. they wouldn't give it a second thought, it would go right in the bin.
it does not happen all the time where i live. all the schools i've been in have had kids who live ridiculously far from school but just cannot get a place elsewhere.
we have kids at my current school who's parents have promised them they'll be moving to a school nearer when it wasn't guaranteed. this, paired with a long commute has caused the kids not to settle or engage, which has seriously effected their development at only age five. also, a lot of these kids are refugees/immigrants/kids in care who have already been through pretty traumatic stuff.
We had no choice - we were also 6 form entry and had to create a 7th from nowhere. Children have to be allocated a school so it is not as simple as you think. Sometimes there is a 'bulge' year with more students than the LA can accommodate ... wiht all the new housing it's likely to happen again.

What happens when every school in an LA is full? The students have to go somewhere ...

Students either go to another school in the closest other LA (as some people in my year did), or the council had the foresight to look at the amount of births 11 years ago and saw that it exceeded the past number, and would have created another school by now (which did happen in the city I I live now, and the city I used to live in). This is also happening right now in my city, making another school. The government has no choice but to fund this, as opposed to not giving existing schools more funding at the moment.

Your experience of this is your experience, okay. It’s not reflective of what happens over the country.
(edited 1 year ago)
you're taking your own experience and trying to apply it to the rest of the country.
i don't know where you live but the council where i do just wouldn't entertain an appeal. they wouldn't give it a second thought, it would go right in the bin.

It's the law - did you not see the link I posted - no LA can refuse to hear an appeal. I've taught in three LAs now and do know what I'm talking about.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admissions-appeals-code

Statutory means 'its the law'
No that is not the law ... if there are 60 and 2 teachers then that 30 per class - additional adults [like TAs] don't make 31 legal

if there's more than one qualified teacher then actually, there can be more than 30,
also, children who have got in through appeals (which is rare) do not count in the 30. maybe you shouldn't be banging on about appeals if you're so against there not being more than 30 in a infant class
Students either go to another school in the closest other LA (as some people in my year did), or the council had the foresight to look at the amount of births 11 years ago and saw that it exceeded the past number, they would have created another school by now (which did happen in the city I I live now, and the city I used to live in). This is also happening right now in my city, making another school. The government has no choice but to fund this, as opposed to not giving existing schools more funding at the moment.

Your experience of this is your experience, okay. It’s not reflective of what happens over the country.

I've taught in three LAs - people move into the area and schools do get full. It's happened in two of the LAs I've worked in - you can't predict parents moving into an area. Knowing have many 11 year olds were born in the area doesn't stop people moving into the area in Year 6 does it?
It's the law - did you not see the link I posted - no LA can refuse to hear an appeal. I've taught in three LAs now and do know what I'm talking about.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admissions-appeals-code

Statutory means 'its the law'

I've been in about seven schools and it's been the same across them all.
nobody has ever won an appeal in any of them. so tell me my council does what it's meant to.
again, you're only basing all of this on your own, very privileged experienced by the sound of it.
I've taught in three LAs - people move into the area and schools do get full. It's happened in two of the LAs I've worked in - you can't predict parents moving into an area. Knowing have many 11 year olds were born in the area doesn't stop people moving into the area in Year 6 does it?

It doesn’t, but it gives a rough estimation of whether they need to make another school or not. They can and have.
if there's more than one qualified teacher then actually, there can be more than 30,
also, children who have got in through appeals (which is rare) do not count in the 30. maybe you shouldn't be banging on about appeals if you're so against there not being more than 30 in a infant class

Yes so the class size isn't over 30 is it? 32/2 = 16 per teacher.

It's the law in Infant classes but not in KS2 or KS3 or KS4 or KS5. That's the difference.

It's the law in Infant classes but not in KS2 or KS3 or KS4 or KS5. That's the difference.

Not sure where you’re getting 2 qualified teachers from for one class. It’s hard enough to get one teacher for one class. This is why there are golden hellos of £5000+ for maths and science teachers, and why PGCE entry requirements for nearly all subjects, and lot of entry requirements for primary have been lowered. There is a shortage of teachers. It’s a miracle when a teacher applies for a job at a lot of schools (plus some teachers won’t go near certain schools because of the local area or the Ofsted report).
(edited 1 year ago)
I've been in about seven schools and it's been the same across them all.
nobody has ever won an appeal in any of them. so tell me my council does what it's meant to.
again, you're only basing all of this on your own, very privileged experienced by the sound of it.

Every LA has to publish data on appeals - perhaps you should look this up in yours? I highly doubt no appeals have ever been won.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admission-appeals-data-collection-guide

https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/find-statistics/admission-appeals-in-england

my last school had one big reception/nursery class with three teachers. it was ONE CLASS. ONE CLASSROOM. THE CLASS WAS ONE.
also the fact you're using 'infant' instead of early years, nursery or reception shows me that you may have no experience of this age
The legislation is called 'infant class size' ... so it is OK to use that term when talking about class sizes - read the link and the law!.

I've taught in an EAZ so can handle all sorts.

Using capitals is considered shouting and your language was blasphemous - you should know that if you really grew up in a Christian household.

Your swearing is worrying if you really do teach.

What people do in their personal lives really isn’t relevant. I know teachers, nurses and doctors who smoke, swear and go clubbing and drinking until early hours. As long as they’re doing their jobs properly and not up to no good outside of work then it really doesn’t matter.
(edited 1 year ago)
What people do in their personal lives really isn’t relevant. I know teachers, nurses and doctors who smoke, swear and go clubbing and drinking until early hours. As long as they’re doing their jobs properly and not up to no good outside of work then it really doesn’t matter.

this^^^^
Who says they are starting at 8 just because they are on a bus at 7:30?

I start work at 8am and the Yooths™ always appear about 7:30-8:45. If they are on a bus it's likely they have a further journey since they would be walking otherwise.
Some schools also start early and finish early if they struggle with student behaviour. One of the schools round here starts early and finishes at 3pm.
Frankly waking up at 8:30 for school is positively luxurious and only works if you live like 5 minutes away.
I used to wake up at 7:30 and be out of the door by 8:00 to get there for 8:45.
Even that seems like a nice lie in compared to 6:30 for work.
Original post by GodAtum
When i go past schools there are kids hanging around the gates even at 0730! Crazy they want to arrive there so early!

Ever considered breakfast clubs? I doubt any teenager wants to be there for 7:30.
Either the parents drop them off at that time because they have work or they attend a breakfast club which is helpful to those on low incomes.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Will probably screw up things for parents but maybe secondary schools should start at 10:00 and end at 16:00-17:00 instead of the current system where school starts at 8:30-9:00 but finishes at 15:00-15:30? So you'd still be in school for the same amount of time except school would start and finish later. Heard that it's apparently better for the kids (as in they'll be more productive).

Yeah found the principle of leaving home at 7:00 to arrive for 8:30 dead (don't ask me why I had to do that or why I couldn't simply have gone to a closer sixth form).

Edit: wouldn't mind leaving the house at 7:00 if it meant that I had to be in school for 7:30 though but for 8:30? Yeah no, don't like the principle.

Overall though think that starting at 9:00 am is fine (school from 8:00-16:00 would be the max school time that I'd be willing to do, anything more than that is too long).

No thanks, driving at rush hour is hard enough without adding the school run and kamikaze kids on bikes into the equation
Original post by CoolCavy
No thanks, driving at rush hour is hard enough without adding the school run and kamikaze kids on bikes into the equation

Ok if you don't like the idea then that's fine 🤷🏾*♀️. I mean there's already plenty of countries I think where kids finish at 4-5 pm (France for example).
(edited 1 year ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending