The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
Ever considered breakfast clubs? I doubt any teenager wants to be there for 7:30.
Either the parents drop them off at that time because they have work or they attend a breakfast club which is helpful to those on low incomes.

this and also my school had a load of sports and arts clubs etc really early in the morning
Reply 81
These kids don't travel long distances. They all live locally and get on the bus a few stops to school. Loads of them hang around the school gates at 8am. When I was at school I was still in bed at that time!
Original post by Talkative Toad
Will probably screw up things for parents but maybe secondary schools should start at 10:00 and end at 16:00-17:00 instead of the current system where school starts at 8:30-9:00 but finishes at 15:00-15:30? So you'd still be in school for the same amount of time except school would start and finish later. Heard that it's apparently better for the kids (as in they'll be more productive).

Yeah found the principle of leaving home at 7:00 to arrive for 8:30 dead (don't ask me why I had to do that or why I couldn't simply have gone to a closer sixth form).

Edit: wouldn't mind leaving the house at 7:00 if it meant that I had to be in school for 7:30 though but for 8:30? Yeah no, don't like the principle.

Overall though think that starting at 9:00 am is fine (school from 8:00-16:00 would be the max school time that I'd be willing to do, anything more than that is too long).

There was a study done a few years ago in a secondary school where they started at 10:00 instead of 8:30 or whatever they found less behaviour problems and the kids got better results and felt more rested. Which indicated there are benefits to a slightly later start time so of course they went back to the old start time because god forbid they do something that works.
Original post by jonathanemptage
There was a study done a few years ago in a secondary school where they started at 10:00 instead of 8:30 or whatever they found less behaviour problems and the kids got better results and felt more rested. Which indicated there are benefits to a slightly later start time so of course they went back to the old start time because god forbid they do something that works.

Yeah.
Original post by jonathanemptage

a school near me did this and attainment got lower, then a couple of years in the headteacher literally disappeared without a trace. nobody knows where he went lmao.
the school starts at nine again now lol

obvs not the case for every school who does this but the whole thing was wild and it's still a local mystery as to where the head went
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lucyyy12
I've been in about seven schools and it's been the same across them all.
nobody has ever won an appeal in any of them. so tell me my council does what it's meant to.
again, you're only basing all of this on your own, very privileged experienced by the sound of it.

Did you check the data I linked on appeals? No LA has 0% won so you are cleraly wrong.
Original post by Muttley79
Did you check the data I linked on appeals? No LA has 0% won so you are cleraly wrong.

She said individual schools. You know there’s more than one school in each LA right?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mintkoala
She said individual schools. You know there’s more than one school in each LA right?

If any school did not allow appeals they would be reported - it's the law that every school has to hear appeals. She needs to prove what she is saying as I don't believe it.
If any school did not allow appeals they would be reported - it's the law that every school has to hear appeals. She needs to prove what she is saying as I don't believe it.

She said ‘nobody has ever won an appeal’, not that the appeals weren’t allowed to happen. They can happen and have no as an answer.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by mintkoala
she said ‘nobody has ever won an appeal’, not that the appeals weren’t allowed to happen. They can happen and have no as an answer.

thank you
Original post by Mintkoala

^^^
thank you

No, she said 'they bin them' .. clesrly not true.
No, she said 'they bin them' .. clesrly not true.

look, top and bottom of it is that nobody in any school i've been in has won an appeal and it had seriously hindered a lot of kid's development as they were so unsettled and didn't know what was happening with them. they didn't settle into school and it has seriously effected their communication and language, their confidence, their friendships, their academics....
it may affect them for years as everything has been so chaotic in their formative years of school and it's heart-breaking.
look, top and bottom of it is that nobody in any school i've been in has won an appeal and it had seriously hindered a lot of kid's development as they were so unsettled and didn't know what was happening with them. they didn't settle into school and it has seriously effected their communication and language, their confidence, their friendships, their academics....
it may affect them for years as everything has been so chaotic in their formative years of school and it's heart-breaking.

Last post on this as it is off topic. If you make a strong case you win the appeal - you have to show the benefit to your child outweighs the prejudice of another student on the school. Clearly their parents didn't as the appeal panel is INDEPENDENT of the school ie no staff or anyone connected with the school in any way.
Personally, my High School started at 8:10 (expected in the building by 8) and we ended at 2:20 unless you were in year 11, in that case 3:20. Barely anyone was fully awake when we were on school and then we were punished for "being lazy" with our work. I remember having to wake up at 6am every morning which was extremely bad for my health since my homework, Free time, my own hygiene had me up till around midnight. Honestly what are schools thinking? I'd love an extra 2 hours. Or even 1. Open at 9 instead and end at 3 or 4. That way our brains have time to bloody wake up.
Maybe some kids go to breakfast clubs or whatever before school?
Reply 96
Most schools start at 8.45 but some are making crazy journeys of over an hour to school. This is down to league tables and a belief that you need to go to an outstanding school to do well.

Well itching most schoold star at 8:30 to 15:00 bit I think it should start from 8 30 to 4

Latest

Trending

Trending