The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Official University of Essex 2023 Applicant Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadiebourne03
Hii how heavy would you say the workload is/how busy are the timetables? :smile: I’m trying to work out whether a long-ish commute would be worth it or whether on campus accommodation would be better!

Original post by abir234
How are you finding the lecturers in Biomed ? And how’s the course flow in general? What advice can you give for newbies in biomed?
Thank you

Heya!

@sadiebourne03
How long would your commute be? You'll find at the beginning you'll probably be in Monday to Friday. They'll change things around every year for sure but in my first year Mondays were a weird day with a 9am class and a 5pm class and nothing in the middle. I'd advise taking advantage of free time inbetween lectures to work on assignments. If you spend a bit of time in the library each day then you won't have to do so much at home.

If you think you'll be ok commuting and getting in for 9am then it might be cheaper to stay at home. But trust me it gets hard to do especially as you won't have zoom classes they will almost all be in person. If you're on campus you've just got to roll out of bed and you're 5-10mins away! You might have some mornings or afternoons off and the timetable will be different in the autumn vs the spring.

@abir234
The lecturers are mostly great, Selwa is the senior lecturer who mainly does anatomy and microbiology and she is the main point of contact for the NHS placements, she loves when people participate in the class.

Paul does organic chemistry and make sure you pay attention in his class and write down anything that isn't on the slides as he teaches a bit differently to everyone else and tends to give the answers for assignments and exams without you realising 😉

Genetics and evolution is pretty complicated as is molecular cell biology, my main advice is to skim through the lecture slides before each class. At the beginning of the year, read the handbooks for each module as they will give you the assignment dates and deadlines for your coursework. Put them on your outlook calendar so you can plan your time ahead in case you have deadlines overlapping each module. Don't forget to do the quizzes as they count towards your coursework grade.

My biggest advice is if you don't understand something, email your lecturer and they'll be happy to go over anything again but they won't give you the answers. It's a lot of independent learning so will be a different teaching style that you'd be used to from A Levels. Try to figure out harvard referencing for essays etc if you haven't used that style before. I use Neil's Toolbox for referencing.

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by mimimoore
Got offer for Bsc Physiotherapy

Would love to know more about Essex

Hey @mimimoore

Congrats on your offer! What would you like to know about Essex? Have you been over to an open day or applicant day yet?

Best wishes,
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Heya!

@sadiebourne03
How long would your commute be? You'll find at the beginning you'll probably be in Monday to Friday. They'll change things around every year for sure but in my first year Mondays were a weird day with a 9am class and a 5pm class and nothing in the middle. I'd advise taking advantage of free time inbetween lectures to work on assignments. If you spend a bit of time in the library each day then you won't have to do so much at home.

If you think you'll be ok commuting and getting in for 9am then it might be cheaper to stay at home. But trust me it gets hard to do especially as you won't have zoom classes they will almost all be in person. If you're on campus you've just got to roll out of bed and you're 5-10mins away! You might have some mornings or afternoons off and the timetable will be different in the autumn vs the spring.

@abir234
The lecturers are mostly great, Selwa is the senior lecturer who mainly does anatomy and microbiology and she is the main point of contact for the NHS placements, she loves when people participate in the class.

Paul does organic chemistry and make sure you pay attention in his class and write down anything that isn't on the slides as he teaches a bit differently to everyone else and tends to give the answers for assignments and exams without you realising 😉

Genetics and evolution is pretty complicated as is molecular cell biology, my main advice is to skim through the lecture slides before each class. At the beginning of the year, read the handbooks for each module as they will give you the assignment dates and deadlines for your coursework. Put them on your outlook calendar so you can plan your time ahead in case you have deadlines overlapping each module. Don't forget to do the quizzes as they count towards your coursework grade.

My biggest advice is if you don't understand something, email your lecturer and they'll be happy to go over anything again but they won't give you the answers. It's a lot of independent learning so will be a different teaching style that you'd be used to from A Levels. Try to figure out harvard referencing for essays etc if you haven't used that style before. I use Neil's Toolbox for referencing.

Best wishes

That’s really helpful thank you 😊
Hey @mimimoore

Congrats on your offer! What would you like to know about Essex? Have you been over to an open day or applicant day yet?

Best wishes,

I'm an International student so havent been to an open day. Would like to know more about the university and surrounding area.
Also about the course and placement
Original post by mimimoore
I'm an International student so havent been to an open day. Would like to know more about the university and surrounding area.
Also about the course and placement

Hey @mimimoore

So doing BSc Physiotherapy you'll be based at the Colchester Campus, Here's a link below for a virtual tour of the campus and accommodation. If you're looking for on-campus accommodation, I'd recommend South Courts as you're closest to the gym and sports centre. South Towers would be the cheaper option in that area.
https://www1.essex.ac.uk/virtual-tours/colchester/

Here's a colour coded map of the campus. The buildings in green are the main campus buildings split into squares 1-5 with the library and student centre on square 5
https://findyourway.essex.ac.uk
It's an interactive map so zoom in and tap on each building and it will give you the name so you can match it up with the University accommodation information from the website
https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/accommodation/campus/colchester

At the cheaper end you have the Towers, there's a few of these right on campus, just a couple minutes walk from everything you have North towers (in blue) and a couple of towers in the south courts area (in pink on the map). There's a recent vlog on YouTube that gives an honest account of the facilities in one of the tower blocks
https://youtu.be/S7bX-dBXVDA
Here's some older videos from the official Essex YouTube account on the different accommodations as well.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL26D35B0117D194DF

South Courts (in pink on the findyourway map) are close to the gym and sports facilities and there are different housing blocks within the complex.
If you live on campus you have a silver gym membership included in your accommodation fees. Here's a tour of the sports facilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiREJdCsiEM

The Colchester campus is located closer to Wivenhoe than the centre of Colchester but we're just a short bus journey from the centre of the town/city. Great transport links to London if you wanted to explore more of the country, Colchester North Station is on the London to Norwich train line and just an hour from London by train. Colchester Hythe is the closest train station to the University campus.

We're a campus university so everything is all on site, we have a shop, bars, restaurants and cafe's. The library is open 24 hours a day. Lots of social and study spaces and each department has a common room usually with some comfy chairs and a quiet space to get to know people on your course and in your department. We've got some great green space by the lakes which have some really nice walks around the campus.
There's plenty of societies to join to find friends with common interests, and there is also a physiotherapy society too. Here's a video from a few of the boys from the physio society giving advice and information about what to expect on your physio placement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhs1f5KcJ5Q

Hope all this helps and gives you an idea of what life is like at Essex :smile:

Best wishes
Hey @mimimoore

So doing BSc Physiotherapy you'll be based at the Colchester Campus, Here's a link below for a virtual tour of the campus and accommodation. If you're looking for on-campus accommodation, I'd recommend South Courts as you're closest to the gym and sports centre. South Towers would be the cheaper option in that area.
https://www1.essex.ac.uk/virtual-tours/colchester/

Here's a colour coded map of the campus. The buildings in green are the main campus buildings split into squares 1-5 with the library and student centre on square 5
https://findyourway.essex.ac.uk
It's an interactive map so zoom in and tap on each building and it will give you the name so you can match it up with the University accommodation information from the website
https://www.essex.ac.uk/life/accommodation/campus/colchester

At the cheaper end you have the Towers, there's a few of these right on campus, just a couple minutes walk from everything you have North towers (in blue) and a couple of towers in the south courts area (in pink on the map). There's a recent vlog on YouTube that gives an honest account of the facilities in one of the tower blocks
https://youtu.be/S7bX-dBXVDA
Here's some older videos from the official Essex YouTube account on the different accommodations as well.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL26D35B0117D194DF

South Courts (in pink on the findyourway map) are close to the gym and sports facilities and there are different housing blocks within the complex.
If you live on campus you have a silver gym membership included in your accommodation fees. Here's a tour of the sports facilities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiREJdCsiEM

The Colchester campus is located closer to Wivenhoe than the centre of Colchester but we're just a short bus journey from the centre of the town/city. Great transport links to London if you wanted to explore more of the country, Colchester North Station is on the London to Norwich train line and just an hour from London by train. Colchester Hythe is the closest train station to the University campus.

We're a campus university so everything is all on site, we have a shop, bars, restaurants and cafe's. The library is open 24 hours a day. Lots of social and study spaces and each department has a common room usually with some comfy chairs and a quiet space to get to know people on your course and in your department. We've got some great green space by the lakes which have some really nice walks around the campus.
There's plenty of societies to join to find friends with common interests, and there is also a physiotherapy society too. Here's a video from a few of the boys from the physio society giving advice and information about what to expect on your physio placement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhs1f5KcJ5Q

Hope all this helps and gives you an idea of what life is like at Essex :smile:

Best wishes

Thank you so much for the useful information, Hayley
Reply 66
I have applied for Oral Health Science, I had my interview at the start of April so now just that anxious wait.
Any one know what my chances are to be accepted in oral health science 3rd year applying… 1 pending qualification which should be here end of May. 🤞
Do Essex offer conditional offers for oral health science? Or would they usually offer people that have all the certificates ready?
Original post by Emily1991.
I have applied for Oral Health Science, I had my interview at the start of April so now just that anxious wait.

Hey @Emily1991.

Best of luck to you 🤞 Let us know how it goes! The waiting is a killer, I've heard some people have been waiting since before December 🤯

Original post by Anonymous
Any one know what my chances are to be accepted in oral health science 3rd year applying… 1 pending qualification which should be here end of May. 🤞

Do Essex offer conditional offers for oral health science? Or would they usually offer people that have all the certificates ready?

Hey Anon

Really hoping for good news for you this year!

They take the whole application into account so some people might get a conditional offer pending certain qualifications or unconditional if the qualifications you already have meet their requirements.

Best wishes
Hello All

Any idea when will they begin CAS for me, I paid the initial 2K deposit on Friday July'21. Till now no reply from them.

Also anyone Indian or residing in UAE applied for Oct Intake in Essex.
Lets connect

Thanks
Hello All
Have you all sorted out the accommodation?

How is it going to be with the mixed gender flats?
Still confused on looking for single gender or mixed gender?
Any inputs?
Original post by abir234
Anyone applied to Msci to biomedical science 😊

Hello abir234!

I hope your application went well and you are having a lovely summer! I wish you lots of luck if you are waiting to receive any results this month! I remember the feeling very well!:biggrin:

If you have any questions about Essex or University in general do let me know :smile:

All the best,
Essex Official Rep - Morgan X
Hello All
Have you all sorted out the accommodation?

How is it going to be with the mixed gender flats?
Still confused on looking for single gender or mixed gender?
Any inputs?

Hey,

I am glad you are starting to explore accommodation with us! 😊😊😊

Flat preferences are really important when it comes to what you would feel most comfortable with. Your flat will be your home for a year, so you are going to want to be as happy as you can be while at university. If you think you would prefer a single gender that is great, but this does mean you must respect other peoples choice and are not allowed any of the other gender in your flat 🎓🔑

Do what will make you feel most at home 🌞

If you have any other questions do let me know!

Thanks Morgan for the reply

Also I would like to know how long will it take to Issue CAS?
Submitted questionnaire last week still waiting for CAS.

Thanks
Hello All

Any idea when will they begin CAS for me, I paid the initial 2K deposit on Friday July'21. Till now no reply from them.

Also anyone Indian or residing in UAE applied for Oct Intake in Essex.
Lets connect

Thanks

Hello,

Your myEssex applicant portal contains a CAS tracker. You will be able to monitor the progress of your CAS by logging into your portal and viewing the CAS tracker found in the ‘Applying’ tab. You should regularly check your emails for updates from us, and reply to any information requests as soon as possible. Once we have issued your CAS, you will receive an email to let you know that your CAS statement is available to view in your myEssex portal.🎓

Hopefully the wait is not to much longer for you! 😊

Thanks Morgan for the reply

Also I would like to know how long will it take to Issue CAS?
Submitted questionnaire last week still waiting for CAS.

Thanks

Hey!

No worries at all! Hopefully that helped you when making your decision! 😎

Everything about CAS is here on our website - https://www.essex.ac.uk/international/immigration-and-visas/student-route-cas - This includes everything related to CAS timeframes relating to when you are starting your course!

Mostly 5-6 months before the start of course Admissions will start to send out CAS questionnaires and request any outstanding information and documents. Look out for emails from us! If your CAS questionnaire confirms that you intend to apply for your visa within the UK, we will need to pause your CAS issue process and restart 3 months before the start of your course, due to Home Office rules. 5-6 months before the start of course Admissions will start to issue CAS to eligible applicants intending to apply for their Student visa outside of the UK. 3 months before the start of course Admissions will start to issue CAS to eligible applicants intending to apply for their Student visa in the UK. 🛫🌞

The website has all the information you need! 😊😊

Is there a WhatsApp or Snapchat group for this university if not I would be happy to make one am going to do biomedical science with year industry
Hiya 👋

Check out the Essex Freshers insta where you can find links to current group chats for this year!
https://instagram.com/essex_freshers

For undergraduate starting in October new students

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending