The Student Room Group

Planning holidays

I would like to know how do you start planning your holidays? Do you start with choosing an accommodation and then you think about what can you see there? Or the accommodation depends on tourist attractions?
Start with making sure that your available dates you are wanting to go on holidays are available first
Are you going on holidays in peak season or out with the peak season when cheaper
Then pick what hotel or accomodation you are wanting while on your holidays
Places that you can eat and drink cheaply compared to maybe hotels price
Entertainment
What available as a tourist - places to visit etc
Original post by AlicjaJj
I would like to know how do you start planning your holidays? Do you start with choosing an accommodation and then you think about what can you see there? Or the accommodation depends on tourist attractions?

accomodation always first and the departure as second. These are the two important things, after that I am looking for sightseeings, if any.
Original post by AlicjaJj

If I have an idea of where we would like to visit and if we've not been before, I try and get hold of a guide from my local library to read up on what there is to see and do. The Rough Guide and Lonely Planet series are my go-to guides but there are others. I'll also look at online tourism sites online for the areas that interest us.

Once we have a rough idea of where we want to go, I'll check out booking.com for accommodation availability for the dates we have in mind and then book flights or ferries. It's worth looking at prices a few days either side of when you'd like to travel as the prices can vary enormously. I then take out travel insurance and start booking accommodation, car hire, airport parking etc.

We're not a family that likes to sit on a beach for a fortnight so we usually travel around and stay in several different places. It's a lot simpler if you're the former and package holidays are often available.

There are lots of other sites for accommodation such as expedia, trivago, hotels.com, etc. I use these for research and then see if I can book direct as it is often cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest