The Student Room Group

Memorisation Techniques: GCSE, A-level, Uni

Yes, I am new to this app. Notwithstanding, I have experience in memorisation for exams. I am an entrepreneur, tutor and have received top grades in exams.
All exams are generally compromised of two components: Memorisation and Application. Application is actually rooted from memorisation, as in order for one to apply, one must memorise techniques and structure.

Today I will inform you of the most EFFICIENT study/ memorisation techniques. This knowledge has been gathered from books by millionaires, advice and most importantly: experience.

1. SPACED REPETITION- generally involving flashcards, this consists of going over flashcards which you struggle to grasp more frequently, and the flashcards which you generally have gotten the hand of, you look at less frequently. This allows you to tackle the FORGETTING CURVE (if you would like an explanation on this, ask me)
2. FLASHCARDS- when we say this, we mean questions on one side, and answers on the back. DO NOT use flashcards to condense information or take notes on. Both the former and the latter are inefficient ways to revise compared to question & answer flashcards. This is because Q&A flashcards FORCE your brain to recall content from memory; it makes your brain feel that it is in the middle of an exam, thus you are able to not only feel the pressure of an exam and get used to it, but also strengthen your memory.

There are a few others, if you would like me to explain them please say. However to be most efficient, one only needs to use a few revision techniques, as too many goes against the 80/20 principle of putting 20% of the work in to achieve 80% of the results. If you would like further explanation on this, say.

Please feel free to ask me further questions.

-9G Tutors
Original post by 9G Tutors
Yes, I am new to this app. Notwithstanding, I have experience in memorisation for exams. I am an entrepreneur, tutor and have received top grades in exams.
All exams are generally compromised of two components: Memorisation and Application. Application is actually rooted from memorisation, as in order for one to apply, one must memorise techniques and structure.

Today I will inform you of the most EFFICIENT study/ memorisation techniques. This knowledge has been gathered from books by millionaires, advice and most importantly: experience.

1. SPACED REPETITION- generally involving flashcards, this consists of going over flashcards which you struggle to grasp more frequently, and the flashcards which you generally have gotten the hand of, you look at less frequently. This allows you to tackle the FORGETTING CURVE (if you would like an explanation on this, ask me)
2. FLASHCARDS- when we say this, we mean questions on one side, and answers on the back. DO NOT use flashcards to condense information or take notes on. Both the former and the latter are inefficient ways to revise compared to question & answer flashcards. This is because Q&A flashcards FORCE your brain to recall content from memory; it makes your brain feel that it is in the middle of an exam, thus you are able to not only feel the pressure of an exam and get used to it, but also strengthen your memory.

There are a few others, if you would like me to explain them please say. However to be most efficient, one only needs to use a few revision techniques, as too many goes against the 80/20 principle of putting 20% of the work in to achieve 80% of the results. If you would like further explanation on this, say.

Please feel free to ask me further questions.

-9G Tutors

What would you say the best way is to learn a subject that is heavy in details that need to be specific e.g. biology? I used flashcards and practice questions at gcse, any others?
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Bunny
What would you say the best way is to learn a subject that is heavy in details that need to be specific e.g. biology? I used flashcards and practice questions at gcse, any others?

Hello,
Well, with subjects that are heavy in details, you must learn the subject in a condensed format, lest it be too overwhelming.
With content content subjects, especially science, QUIZZES are essential to condensing information for you. You can find them on the Cognito site although you may have to pay, as well as Seneca learning.
In case you do not want to spend your money, you should ask your friends to test you on their revision flashcards. And then you can quiz them using your flashcards and teach them the correct answer when they get it wrong. Teaching someone effectively allows you to retain information.

Please, if any more questions, ask.
how would you revise subjects like A level chemistry? would you still use past papers? And how would you prevent forgetting info you’ve learnt weeks ago?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending