The Student Room Group

About Computer Science

Anyone who does OCR CS GCSE and WJEC CS A Level lmk how much math is in both like what is boolean algebra comparison of complexity of algorithms and number representation of bases etc
Reply 1
Original post by Superherogamer
Anyone who does OCR CS GCSE and WJEC CS A Level lmk how much math is in both like what is boolean algebra comparison of complexity of algorithms and number representation of bases etc
Hey, I’m currently in year 11 doing OCR cs gcse and have just finished the course. There is barely any maths involved . Boolean logic is not really maths and is not a difficult topic. Number bases is a maths topic and can be tricky as the paper is non calc but the exams are not time pressured at all so if you check your work they are fine. Both these topics are very small components of the gcse. The gcse is mainly just memorisation of theory but there is very little content so it is not alot but of work. I got a 9 in my mock but personally don’t enjoy it because i find the theory boring. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Fiana2727
Hey, I’m currently in year 11 doing OCR cs gcse and have just finished the course. There is barely any maths involved . Boolean logic is not really maths and is not a difficult topic. Number bases is a maths topic and can be tricky as the paper is non calc but the exams are not time pressured at all so if you check your work they are fine. Both these topics are very small components of the gcse. The gcse is mainly just memorisation of theory but there is very little content so it is not alot but of work. I got a 9 in my mock but personally don’t enjoy it because i find the theory boring. I hope this helps :smile:
is number bases in gcse ocr cs
And do you recommend it to me what other subjects do you do and what’s the examboard and what you thinking of doing as your career and a levels??
Reply 4
And do you recommend it to me what other subjects do you do and what’s the examboard and what you thinking of doing as your career and a levels??

Hey, number bases is part of the gcse but it is not something i would worry about, you just learn a pretty simple method. It is maths but so much easier then most of the maths gcse its just easy to make a mistake as you sometimes need to do long multiplications. For gcses i do maths, english lang, English lit, tripe science, french, german, history and cs. For alevels i think i want to do maths physics chemistry and german. I recommend cs if you are good at science because it is mostly just memorising theory. The course is quite small so it is not very much work compared to other gcses. However, it is not a very useful subject as you can study it at uni without doing the gcse or the alevel and alot of the course is outdated. The grade boundaries are also quite high (85% for a 9 in my mock). Just let me know if you have any more questions
Reply 5
Also if you do the gcse i really recommend the yt channel craig n dave for revision. They have a video for practically every topic in the ocr spec
Hey, number bases is part of the gcse but it is not something i would worry about, you just learn a pretty simple method. It is maths but so much easier then most of the maths gcse its just easy to make a mistake as you sometimes need to do long multiplications. For gcses i do maths, english lang, English lit, tripe science, french, german, history and cs. For alevels i think i want to do maths physics chemistry and german. I recommend cs if you are good at science because it is mostly just memorising theory. The course is quite small so it is not very much work compared to other gcses. However, it is not a very useful subject as you can study it at uni without doing the gcse or the alevel and alot of the course is outdated. The grade boundaries are also quite high (85% for a 9 in my mock). Just let me know if you have any more questions
Oh ik I wanna pick pe business triple science and have to pick either history or computer science as hate geography and french do you do edexcel for history which do you think is better and easier to get better grade and better grade boundaries???
Reply 7
Oh ik I wanna pick pe business triple science and have to pick either history or computer science as hate geography and french do you do edexcel for history which do you think is better and easier to get better grade and better grade boundaries???

I do cambridge igcse history and the grade boundary for a 9 is 81% which is also quite high, but it is high because the coursework raises the grade boundaries.

In my history mock i also got a 9 but i spent double the amount of time revising it then cs as there is SO much content, i think history and biology are the most content heavy gcses. Also in history we get alot more homework then in cs just because the course is so big and you need to learn how to write the essays, so if you want more free time do cs. History exams are also more time pressured the cs. However, i think history is slightly easier to get a good grade in if you put in the work as the grade boundaries are lower and the questions are more predictable. I also enjoy history alot more as the lessons are more fun and the content is way more interesting.

Also I will try to explain the cs exams as i didnt really understand when i chose it. There are two 90 minute papers, one is theory so if your revise you are practically guaranteed a good mark. The other is the programming techniques one, but around half of it is still theory. The other half is basically writing programs, answering questions about programs, and then those maths/logic type questions (which i promise are completely fine once you learn the method).
I do cambridge igcse history and the grade boundary for a 9 is 81% which is also quite high, but it is high because the coursework raises the grade boundaries.

In my history mock i also got a 9 but i spent double the amount of time revising it then cs as there is SO much content, i think history and biology are the most content heavy gcses. Also in history we get alot more homework then in cs just because the course is so big and you need to learn how to write the essays, so if you want more free time do cs. History exams are also more time pressured the cs. However, i think history is slightly easier to get a good grade in if you put in the work as the grade boundaries are lower and the questions are more predictable. I also enjoy history alot more as the lessons are more fun and the content is way more interesting.

Also I will try to explain the cs exams as i didnt really understand when i chose it. There are two 90 minute papers, one is theory so if your revise you are practically guaranteed a good mark. The other is the programming techniques one, but around half of it is still theory. The other half is basically writing programs, answering questions about programs, and then those maths/logic type questions (which i promise are completely fine once you learn the method).
How much papers are there for cs
Reply 9

How much papers are there for cs

Two

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending