The Student Room Group

(Computer Science) Southampton vs Nottingham vs Manchester vs Newcastle ??

Hi guys,
Which one is best in terms of graduate employability and reputation?

1) Newcastle University
2) University of Nottingham
3) University of Southampton
4) University of Manchester

I'm an international student and received unconditional offers from both Newcastle and Nottingham for MSc in Advanced Computer Science. I'm still waiting for a response from Manchester & Southampton.

Which one do you recommend? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
For CS, Manchester’s one of the best in the UK, maybe even in the world. Southampton and Newcastle also has a great CS department, and I’m sure Nottingham’s good enough too. Nottingham’s great in engineering and pharmacy, but not sure about the CS department as I don’t know anyone doing CS there and never really heard anything about them. But it’s in the Russell Group, and most universities in the RG have similar courses so I wouldn’t worry about the teaching quality.

Especially since you’re an international student, I recommend Manchester. Manchester has the best international reputation, and it’s teaching / research quality is extraordinary. I’d say Manchester > Southampton > Newcastle >= Nottingham, especially since you’re an international student.

However, if you don’t care about the international reputation and are planning on staying in the UK, I’d say go for the city you’d like to stay in. Manchester’s a very busy and urban city, so there will be whatever you want to do there. Southampton’s way more relaxing than Manchester since it’s near the shores of South England, but it’s one of the biggest cities in South England so you’d find most of what you want or need there. Nottingham’s a student city, so there are plenty of students to hang out with and you’d find everything you need as a student including night life, study centres etc. Not sure about Newcastle but judging from what my friend says it’s a student-friendly city.

If you can, visit all of those cities and feel the vibe of them and decide which of them you want to go. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by sk0917
For CS, Manchester’s one of the best in the UK, maybe even in the world. Southampton and Newcastle also has a great CS department, and I’m sure Nottingham’s good enough too. Nottingham’s great in engineering and pharmacy, but not sure about the CS department as I don’t know anyone doing CS there and never really heard anything about them. But it’s in the Russell Group, and most universities in the RG have similar courses so I wouldn’t worry about the teaching quality.

Especially since you’re an international student, I recommend Manchester. Manchester has the best international reputation, and it’s teaching / research quality is extraordinary. I’d say Manchester > Southampton > Newcastle >= Nottingham, especially since you’re an international student.

However, if you don’t care about the international reputation and are planning on staying in the UK, I’d say go for the city you’d like to stay in. Manchester’s a very busy and urban city, so there will be whatever you want to do there. Southampton’s way more relaxing than Manchester since it’s near the shores of South England, but it’s one of the biggest cities in South England so you’d find most of what you want or need there. Nottingham’s a student city, so there are plenty of students to hang out with and you’d find everything you need as a student including night life, study centres etc. Not sure about Newcastle but judging from what my friend says it’s a student-friendly city.

If you can, visit all of those cities and feel the vibe of them and decide which of them you want to go. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate your input 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by Shruti_28
Thank you so much for your detailed reply! I really appreciate your input 🙂

No problem! If you have any questions feel free to ask anything! It’s great to meet another international student here being one of them myself!
Hi guys,
Which one is best in terms of graduate employability and reputation?

1) Newcastle University
2) University of Nottingham
3) University of Southampton
4) University of Manchester

I'm an international student and received unconditional offers from both Newcastle and Nottingham for MSc in Advanced Computer Science. I'm still waiting for a response from Manchester & Southampton.

Which one do you recommend? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

If you have any questions about the uni, accommodations, city etc then just let me know.
I have had a really good experience here and was really pleasantly surprised by the facilities at the uni and how student friendly the city is. There is also a really good international community so whether its through sports, joining societies etc then I'm sure you would be able to meet likeminded people and meet lots of friends.

I hope this helps a bit and if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by EmilyClarke24
Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

If you have any questions about the uni, accommodations, city etc then just let me know.
I have had a really good experience here and was really pleasantly surprised by the facilities at the uni and how student friendly the city is. There is also a really good international community so whether its through sports, joining societies etc then I'm sure you would be able to meet likeminded people and meet lots of friends.

I hope this helps a bit and if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily:smile:

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your response 😊
Are you a computer science student by any chance?
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi Emily,

Thank you for your response 😊
Are you a computer science student by any chance?

Hey,
No worries at all.
Sadly I am not a computer science student but if you think of anything general about the uni then just let me know :smile:
Reply 7
I know someone who graduated from Manchester University now she is working at Bloomberg.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending