The Student Room Group

Economics offers- 2023

I have applied to many unis for economics and gotten offers from
Nottingham-A*AA
Birmingham-AAA
Manchester-AAA
Southampton-AAB
Leeds-Pending
However, i know most likely i want to firm nottingham and insure birmingham, however if i dont get the exact grade eg, AAA for notts or AAB for birms, is there a chance they will still accept me?
There is a chance depending on how many people end up meeting their offers on the day, but I certainly wouldn’t rely on it. Your insurance should have grades that you are confident in meeting
Reply 2
Original post by Kian96
Nottingham-A*AA
Birmingham-AAA
Manchester-AAA
Southampton-AAB
Leeds-Pending
However, i know most likely i want to firm nottingham and insure birmingham, however if i dont get the exact grade eg, AAA for notts or AAB for birms, is there a chance they will still accept me?

Did u get a confirmation email from Leeds and Manchester? I still haven’t got anything from them at all
Reply 3
Hi, does Manchester send a confirmation email for when they received your application?
Reply 4
Original post by s997wa
Did u get a confirmation email from Leeds and Manchester? I still haven’t got anything from them at all

I got one from manchester like 3 days after applying- I withdrew my leeds application as they were taking too long and i knew i wasnt going to go there anyway
Reply 5
Bath or Nottingham for economics?

Investment banking career aspiration.
Original post by Medpapa

They're seen as equal. Though if you wish to do a placement year then I'd go with Bath.
Reply 7
Original post by BenRyan99
They're seen as equal. Though if you wish to do a placement year then I'd go with Bath.

Really struggling with this.
Son has offers from both.

Personally I would probably be drawn to Bath as it’s a nicer city, better accommodation and marginally higher grade requirement (A*AA)
Vs
Nottingham better campus

Son is perhaps erring on Nottingham.

He doesn’t want to do a placement year but like to do internships

We have been discussing this all day and need to make a decision.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by BenRyan99

Which would you choose?

Assuming you would rather do internships rather than placement.
Reply 9
Original post by Medpapa
Really struggling with this.
Son has offers from both.

Personally I would probably be drawn to Bath as it’s a nicer city, better accommodation and marginally higher grade requirement (A*AA)
Vs
Nottingham better campus

Son is perhaps erring on Nottingham.

He doesn’t want to do a placement year but like to do internships

We have been discussing this all day and need to make a decision.

I'm not sure wanting a higher grade requirement is necessarily a good thing? Not at two unis like that with relatively equal rankings (if one wanted A*A*A and one wanted BBC that might be different). As for accommodation, I'd imagine after first year finding accommodation in Bath would be quite difficult, and definitely expensive, so that might be something to consider. In terms of internships, I'd imagine both unis would be similar in that respect (perhaps Nottingham might have more in the local area, but I don't know Nottingham well enough to say for sure). Ultimately, it is your son going to uni, and things like a 'better city' seem a bit subjective (e.g. I'd imagine Nottingham is better for a night out).
Reply 10
Original post by Kian96
Nottingham-A*AA
Birmingham-AAA
Manchester-AAA
Southampton-AAB
Leeds-Pending

Nottingham are in UCAS extra this year so I think they might be struggling for numbers. This could mean that they’ll still accept you with one grade lower but still call up/email.
Reply 11
Original post by Medpapa

After being rejected for Medicine with 4 A* and not wanting to take a year out. My son has applied for Economics at Nottingham through UCAS extra. He got a offer within a week and his first choice accommodation. He did not want to do placement year and likes the nott campus. They also have good Careers service that students can use after they have left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending