The Student Room Group

Investment Banking at Southampton

Hi,
I am going to the University of Southampton later this month and aimed to pursue a career in investment banking. However, I worry that the reputation of the university will not be enough to allow me to achieve this goal. Southampton was not my first choice, and I narrowly missed out on Bristol, I could re take physics and try to get an A in that which would bring me to A*A*A, however I don't know if there is any point. What should I do?
Original post by SilverBroom6801
Hi,
I am going to the University of Southampton later this month and aimed to pursue a career in investment banking. However, I worry that the reputation of the university will not be enough to allow me to achieve this goal. Southampton was not my first choice, and I narrowly missed out on Bristol, I could re take physics and try to get an A in that which would bring me to A*A*A, however I don't know if there is any point. What should I do?

Have a read of The Graduate Market in 2023, which lists Southampton as one of the top 10 universities targeted by the largest number of top employers, and see if you still feel the same.
Reply 2
Yes, you’ll struggle, and the diff between going Bristol vs Southampton may very well make the difference between you actually landing a job vs it just being a pipe dream. The difference is material indeed. Also, ignore everyone here who says “you just need to network harder” etc, it’s usually garbage advice as ”networking” will never actually get you an internship or job at the places you want and going out of one’s way and helping alumni is more of a thing across the pond (USA). Also it tends to be suggested by uni kids who don’t understand how the small industry of high finance actually works and worked even a day in the trenches.

Contrary to popular belief, it’s the HR department that screens CVs and no, even if you have the best contacts, they won’t be able to “get” you an interview. They can’t just tell HR that someone they know is a great guy and give him an interview. Its an immediate disciplinary action. Candidates who would actually have these contacts usually attend Oxbridge anyway, and they don’t need someone to get it for them. Someone you know via LinkedIn won’t risk their career for you and “put in a good word”, whatever that means (it means the above).

It would be probably worth doing a gap year and resit. However, make sure you spend that gap year useful and not just sitting in front of a computer, that would be rather a waste of time. There are lots more insightful and actionable advice if you look at the Canary Wharfian website which has lots of content you’ll probably find useful.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending