The Student Room Group

revisions tips!

hiya, Ive just joined TSR so hope this is asked in the right place

Ive got my GCSEs and mocks coming up really soon, and i was wondering what revision techniques people are using.
i havent really been revising for my past mocks (i know its bad but ive been doing well without them so havent before)
but what would people recommend?
ive got some revision guides/books and flashcards but is there anything else that you fine works?
thanks for the help! :smile:
Welcome to TSR.
Good luck in your exams over the coming weeks / months. I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Everyone learns differently.
Do the flashcards and revision guides work best for you?
There's no point changing something that works well for you.

For me, I can't learn by reading from a textbook. I need to be shown rather than told, eg: why does the negative battery move away from the positive? Telling me goes in one ear and out the other, but showing me, I get it.
YouTube helps too, although too much means a distraction for other videos.
Reply 2
Original post by Adz2042
Welcome to TSR.
Good luck in your exams over the coming weeks / months. I'm sure you'll do well :smile:
Everyone learns differently.
Do the flashcards and revision guides work best for you?
There's no point changing something that works well for you.

For me, I can't learn by reading from a textbook. I need to be shown rather than told, eg: why does the negative battery move away from the positive? Telling me goes in one ear and out the other, but showing me, I get it.
YouTube helps too, although too much means a distraction for other videos.

hiya, i mean i think they are working alright, ive been getting pretty high grades although they havent really changed very much since using them. oooo i never thought about youtube ill deffo try that out!
i usually learn class work by like remembering where things are on the page if that makes sense, like if its a big worksheet ill kinda remember all thats written in specific parts
thanks so much! i might try watch some youtube vids about things bc i havent really thought about video teaching!
thank youuu :smile:
Original post by lola028
hiya, i mean i think they are working alright, ive been getting pretty high grades although they havent really changed very much since using them. oooo i never thought about youtube ill deffo try that out!
i usually learn class work by like remembering where things are on the page if that makes sense, like if its a big worksheet ill kinda remember all thats written in specific parts
thanks so much! i might try watch some youtube vids about things bc i havent really thought about video teaching!
thank youuu :smile:

You're welcome.
The majority of topics are online these days, so worth having a look.
I'd also check out Coursera / UDemy for additional revision videos on your topic of interest.
You may find that at school/college, you find it difficult at times to focus or the teacher talks too fast.
The study material on those sites may teach the topic in a different way, that you understand.

Just helping out :smile:
Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/browse
UDemy: https://www.udemy.com/
Original post by lola028
hiya, Ive just joined TSR so hope this is asked in the right place

Ive got my GCSEs and mocks coming up really soon, and i was wondering what revision techniques people are using.
i havent really been revising for my past mocks (i know its bad but ive been doing well without them so havent before)
but what would people recommend?
ive got some revision guides/books and flashcards but is there anything else that you fine works?
thanks for the help! :smile:

Hey,
Everyone likes different revision techniques so the most important thing is to find what works for you and not be disheartened if some methods that others use you don't find useful.

If there are papers from past mocks available going over past paper questions can be a good start.
Revision books and guides can be handy and making the information into flashcards is a great method. There are also flashcard apps you can download on your phone which can help you track the bits of information you don't know as well.
Making mindmaps can be good. At the start of a revision session you can pick a question/topic and give yourself a set time to write down as many things you can remember about it. using this might help you identify where your knowledge strengths and weaknesses are. Then you can repeat after your revision session or the next time you come to revise and see if you have retained more information.

Best of luck with your upcoming GCSEs and mocks !
Catherine :-) University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hey,
Everyone likes different revision techniques so the most important thing is to find what works for you and not be disheartened if some methods that others use you don't find useful.

If there are papers from past mocks available going over past paper questions can be a good start.
Revision books and guides can be handy and making the information into flashcards is a great method. There are also flashcard apps you can download on your phone which can help you track the bits of information you don't know as well.
Making mindmaps can be good. At the start of a revision session you can pick a question/topic and give yourself a set time to write down as many things you can remember about it. using this might help you identify where your knowledge strengths and weaknesses are. Then you can repeat after your revision session or the next time you come to revise and see if you have retained more information.

Best of luck with your upcoming GCSEs and mocks !
Catherine :-) University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador

hiya thanks so much this is rly useful! id completely forgotten about mind maps but i used to make them and they rly helped like i make them and seem to remember whats written where haha. thanks for reminding me lol :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending